C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear leaf spring replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 11:55 PM
Bhebert449
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Rear leaf spring replacement

I would like to replace the rear leaf spring on my 69 bb coupe. The driver side sags slightly most likely from uneven wear on the original spring. One option I have seen at duntov is to get the original spring re-arced. Should I go that route or just purchase a new one? Should I also replace the rear shocks? What about going with a composite spring?
Old 03-29-2017, 12:59 AM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Bhebert449
I would like to replace the rear leaf spring on my 69 bb coupe. The driver side sags slightly most likely from uneven wear on the original spring. One option I have seen at duntov is to get the original spring re-arced. Should I go that route or just purchase a new one? Should I also replace the rear shocks? What about going with a composite spring?
Adjust the spring end bolts to level it out.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:24 AM
Grahamred70
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

How bad is the sag, mine wasn't bad but was noticeable, I scored a second hand composite spring on E Bay for not a lot and now the car sits dead level, I wouldn't bother to faff with an old spring, it was something the village blacksmith would do back in the old days to get a bit more life out of an old spring. Replacements are readily available and not expensive and it's not a bad job to change it out.
Graham
Old 03-29-2017, 06:50 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

If its a show car, re arch it. If its a go car, ditch it and go fiberglass. The ride is much better.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:27 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Bh,
Replacing the spring or even having it re-ached can be the start of problem with the rear ride height not being what you'd like it to be.
How much is "sags slightly" ?
What makes you think the spring is causing it"
Could the spring bolt bushings be more deteriorated on that side?
Normally the spring should appear to be nearly flat from side to side or even exhibit a slight negative arch.
The half shafts should appear to be nearly parallel with the ground.
Maybe a couple photos of the rear suspension.
Don't be too quick to replace the spring.
Regards,
Alan
Old 03-29-2017, 08:30 AM
Bhebert449
Pro

I'll take some pics and post later today. I've already had the bushings replaced and attempted to level by adjusting the nuts. I'm pretty sure it's the original spring. The car sits about a half to 3/4 inch lower on the driver side rear and it is noticeable
Old 03-29-2017, 08:54 AM
Grahamred70
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine was a lot less than that but still noticeable and I couldn't ignore it, mine had air shocks fitted when it arrived and they were shot so I fitted new Bilsteins in case they were affecting things but it still had a lean to the drivers side, since fitting the replacement composite spring it's spot on now, just got to get the ride height correct so I can finalise the bolt length, I'm at 6" between the head and nuts will probably go to 6 1/2" and it should be just right.
Graham
Old 03-29-2017, 09:49 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,327 Likes on 959 Posts

Default Springs

Check your front springs. If one is bad, it will transfer the list to the rear. Jerry
Old 03-29-2017, 11:12 AM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
Check your front springs. If one is bad, it will transfer the list to the rear. Jerry

I remember a thread some time ago that turned out to be a weak front spring causing the rear sag problem.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:35 AM
Bhebert449
Pro

How do you check the front springs? I was going to start with the leaf spring as it does not look to be too bad of a job and they are pretty inexpensive.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:08 PM
ganshert
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

How do you check the front springs? I was going to start with the leaf spring as it does not look to be too bad of a job and they are pretty inexpensive.
You could rule the front springs out pretty easily by supporting the front level on jack stands by the frame not the control arms. Then you could see if the back was now level. You may want to pull the wheels off and lower the front to normal ride height to get a better visual and measure the same place you've been measuring the difference in the rear.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:52 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

I went ahead and replaced mine with a steel spring. Rides Great and is level. The other steel one lasted 43 Years, so I will stay with originality, (seems to work).
Old 03-29-2017, 04:40 PM
Bhebert449
Pro

Originally Posted by Alwyn678
I went ahead and replaced mine with a steel spring. Rides Great and is level. The other steel one lasted 43 Years, so I will stay with originality, (seems to work).
Yeah if I do replace, I will most likely go back with a steel spring. There are many sellers out there. Any idea which is the best quality to go with? What is the factory spec for a 1969 bb coupe?
Old 03-29-2017, 05:12 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi bh,
I believe the same spring was used for sb and sb cars.
The optional spring was the 7 leaf used with rpo F41.
Regards,
Alan
Old 03-29-2017, 07:54 PM
68notray
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I'll add that a bent sway bar will cause the car to sit uneven and drive you crazy trying to figure it out.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:24 PM
Bhebert449
Pro

These are the best pics I could get of the spring

Old 03-30-2017, 08:09 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi Bh,
?
I'm surprised to see how much the rubber bushings are compressed already and also by the number of washers being used between the spring bolt's nut and lower bushing.
Were those washers added to try to level the car?
When the bushings were replaced what did the arch of the spring look like with no weight on it?
Has the spring been taken off the car and disassembled to see if it's damaged in some way?
Another spring is one answer, but so often that avenue seems to lead to car's needing longer spring bolts.
What is the dimension from the ground to the center of the wheel arch on each side? (The size of the tires affect this dimension.)
Regards,
Alan

Get notified of new replies

To Rear leaf spring replacement

Old 03-30-2017, 09:01 AM
Bhebert449
Pro

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Bh,
?
I'm surprised to see how much the rubber bushings are compressed already and also by the number of washers being used between the spring bolt's nut and lower bushing.
Were those washers added to try to level the car?
When the bushings were replaced what did the arch of the spring look like with no weight on it?
Has the spring been taken off the car and disassembled to see if it's damaged in some way?
Another spring is one answer, but so often that avenue seems to lead to car's needing longer spring bolts.
What is the dimension from the ground to the center of the wheel arch on each side? (The size of the tires affect this dimension.)
Regards,
Alan
yes the washers were added to try to level the car. The spring has not been removed. What would cause the bushings to compress?
Old 03-30-2017, 09:43 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi Bh,
The composition of the rubber determines how much the bushings compress immediately.
It 'appears' just the left side bushings were replaced (the right side look 'aged'). Is that so?
What are the ground to wheel arch dimensions at all 4 corners?
From the photo it 'appears' that wheel/tire has a lot of negative camber. Does it?
Could this be coming into play on the ride height dimension?
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 03-30-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:49 PM
Bhebert449
Pro

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Bh,
The composition of the rubber determines how much the bushings compress immediately.
It 'appears' just the left side bushings were replaced (the right side look 'aged'). Is that so?
What are the ground to wheel arch dimensions at all 4 corners?
From the photo it 'appears' that wheel/tire has a lot of negative camber. Does it?
Could this be coming into play on the ride height dimension?
Regards,
Alan
From the center of the wheel arch to the ground:

Driver rear 27 1/8"
Pass rear 28"

so almost 1" difference

The tire is not out of line that is just the angle of the pic.

Quick Reply: Rear leaf spring replacement