C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1970 power steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 10:49 AM
colo69
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 1970 power steering pump

I was rebuilding my power steering pump on a 1970 corvette . This is my first pump to rebuild and i was disassembling the pump when this part fell out. Now i don't know which direction the part sits in the pump? I do know were it go's . I have not seen this part in any parts diagram. It appears that it can go either way. Has any one rebuild this steering pump? The part on the right is the part that fell to the floor, it sits next to the part on the left. Thanks
Old 03-30-2017, 12:29 PM
marc9889
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Jim Shea (forum member) would be the guy to ask. He can give you an accurate answer on just about any steering related question you could think of.

http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?cat=5
Old 03-30-2017, 01:52 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

The pressure spring rides between those two parts, the cover on the left installs into the back up the pump the way you have it laying. I'm not familiar with the design of the part part on the right but I feel certain that the you have it laying in the correct manner as well since the spring sits in that round circle. Youtube Chevy power steering pump rebuild, I'm sure there are plenty of videos on there for doing this.

So basically, install the plate on the right, then install the spring, then install the cover on the left.

Willcox

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 03-30-2017 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:50 PM
colo69
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default power steering pump filter

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
The pressure spring rides between those two parts, the cover on the left installs into the back up the pump the way you have it laying. I'm not familiar with the design of the part part on the right but I feel certain that the you have it laying in the correct manner as well since the spring sits in that round circle. Youtube Chevy power steering pump rebuild, I'm sure there are plenty of videos on there for doing this.

So basically, install the plate on the right, then install the spring, then install the cover on the left.

Willcox
So after i got the kit to rebuild the power steering pump i got this diagram in the box.
(regarding the kit assembly info). But for any one looking for the rebuild info diagram here it is.

Last edited by colo69; 04-02-2017 at 12:54 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1970 power steering pump

Quick Reply: 1970 power steering pump