C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1969 Problems with New SS Brake/Fuel Line Routing

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 06:08 PM
A8skyhawk
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default 1969 Problems with New SS Brake/Fuel Line Routing

Hello all, its been too long. Long story short... my car was out for ~2 years for body mounts, SS brake lines, SS fuel lines, windshield bird cage replacement, wiring harness, and finally paint. The shop that did the work did some things really well (paint, bird cage repair, body mounts) and some things not quite so well (wiring harness, brake lines, fuel lines). Fortunately the things done not quite so well are things that are generally within my capability to fix (and they made things right financially, but were not interested in working any more). I thought I took enough "before" pictures but failed miserably when it came to the brake and fuel lines... That said, here's what I'm left to deal with:

The line coming from the top of the proportioning valve is the one I'm most concerned about. It's currently run within a few inches of the header and again is not clamped anywhere in the engine bay. The SS. brake lines are sold by one of the vendors here so I know they should fit better than this.

The fuel lines look like they are longer than I remember and aren't clamped anywhere in the engine bay.

Any good photos of what this should look like? Comments / Advice are always welcome as well. Forgive the mess as I haven't cleaned things up yet... Thank you!
Old 04-01-2017, 06:24 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

The brake line that is coming out of the top of your metering block ...should have been routed on the other side of the gear box...and along the top of the frame.

AS for the other two brake lines....a lot of it depends on where you got your lines form....because they are NOT all the same. These may need to be bent to give you more clearance.

AS for your fuel lines ...something is wrong here but the ends of the lines are not telling me anything....other than something is wring. It can also be due to where you got these lines from because... once again.,.the specific bends at the #3 body mount/ frame gusset area is quite specific on how they were bent there.

Also in that photo of your fuel line I can not see if it has correct strap is being used....is it is not it the frame.

DUB
Old 04-01-2017, 06:41 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Old 04-01-2017, 06:50 PM
A8skyhawk
Racer

Thanks DUB,

1) How hosed am I with the incorrectly routed brake line. Do you think I will be able to disconnect it at both ends to slide it back and forth to get it routed the right way? Any additional suggestions before I start messing around will be most helpful. I've never worked with SS before so i'm not quite sure of its limits yet.

2)

Here's a picture of the fuel lines coming up from the firewall. I honestly can't remember which vendor I got them from. It was either Zip or Willcox so I would imagine they would be fine if installed correctly

3) There is no fuel strap currently in place so.... clearly wrong.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:57 PM
A8skyhawk
Racer

Originally Posted by rvzio

Thanks rvzio! Those are most helpful. It doesn't look like my fuel lines are quite as messed up as I thought. I have no idea what happened with that one brake line. Either the radius at the top came wrong from the vendor or (more likely) the shop went out of its way to bend it into the wrong spot... I'll have to see what I can do.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:05 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Default vette

This plumbers tool works well for bending lined without kinking them. Big box stores have it.
RVZIO

Old 04-02-2017, 06:53 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

You should be able to remove the brake line and re-install it in the correct area.

AS for the fuel lines....the same thing....you should be able to get them to go where you need them and get them correctly secured to the frame.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To 1969 Problems with New SS Brake/Fuel Line Routing

Quick Reply: 1969 Problems with New SS Brake/Fuel Line Routing