C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Wheel Bearing Adjust Method?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 11:23 PM
Vettesic
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Front Wheel Bearing Adjust Method?

Just got my hubs/rotors back from Bairs. I've read many different ways to adjust front wheel bearings. Torque to 10,12 or 15 lbs? Then back nut off 1 flat....Or no torque at all. Any help. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:59 AM
Antz81
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts

Adjustment procedure according to my FSM IS

Adjustment (Fig. 3C-2)
1. Remove hub cap or wheel disc from wheel.
2. Remove dust cap from hub.
3. Remove cotter pin from spindle and spindle nut.
4. Tighten the spindle nut to 16 N*m (12 ft. lbs.) while turning the wheel assembly forward by hand to fully seat the bearings. This will remove any grease or burrs which could cause excessive wheel bearing play later. (SeeFig.3C-2).
5. Back off the nut to the "just loose" position.
6. Hand tighten the spindle nut. Loosen spindle nut until
either hole in the spindle lines up with a slot in the nut. (Not more than 1/2 flat).
The following users liked this post:
Vettesic (04-04-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 07:51 AM
RonR80
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I always snug them up while the wheel is spinning , and back them up , I feel for play in the bearing if there's no play tighten to the next hole in the spindle , But I find everybody has a way of doing this .
Old 04-04-2017, 10:13 AM
Vettesic
Drifting

Yep....everyone has their own way to adjust it seems. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:27 PM
Silvertone
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettesic
Just got my hubs/rotors back from Bairs. I've read many different ways to adjust front wheel bearings. Torque to 10,12 or 15 lbs? Then back nut off 1 flat....Or no torque at all. Any help. Thanks.

If you're looking for the ultimate in overkill and perfection, you've come to the right vine. Here's what I did last time:

"While spinning the wheel in the direction of forward vehicle travel, torque the bearing nut to 15ft/lbs, this sets the bearing and grease.
Back off the nut until loose then while rotating in the direction of travel retighten to 50-60 inch pounds, Install the cotter pin without backing off to the nearest cotter pin hole. This give .0005-.001
Now the problem is there is no cotter pin hole??? Check and you will find there are TWO 2 holes in the spindle and the chances are good one of them lines up. If not then you can use valve spring shims under the nut, install one shim try the procedure again and check the TWO cotter pin holes.
I have used this for years along with trued/shimmed rotors and the most runout I have in one wheel is .003 total for bearing and runout."

I borrowed this 2004 comment from a post by Norval Wilhelm. You should read the whole thing if you want more detail.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...-bearings.html

Last edited by Silvertone; 04-04-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:40 PM
Vettesic
Drifting

Silvertone...I've seen this post before. Must have stumbled onto it by search. Another wheel bearing adjust method. Makes sense. Give it a go this weekend. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Front Wheel Bearing Adjust Method?

Quick Reply: Front Wheel Bearing Adjust Method?