C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1980 Vette - Loud Squealing Noise from Engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 09:27 PM
deerthief
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1980 Vette - Loud Squealing Noise from Engine

My 1980 L48 (89k) started making a loud squealing noise shortly after I put new NAPA belts on it. The noise is definitely coming from the front left side of the engine compartment. It squeals when I first start the car and rev the engine and again when driving and I get on the gas. You don’t hear it when idling or going slow. It doesn't matter if I turn the wheels or go straight, the squeal happens when the RPMs go up. I replaced the NAPA belts with Goodyear Gatorbacks thinking the NAPA brand belts were causing it, still squealed. Tried a different alternator, still squealed. The power steering fluid level is correct. I noticed the power steering pump pulley is about 1/16” or so out of alignment. I’m wondering of the bracket is bent which is causing the pulley to be out of alignment, which is causing he new belts to squeal. However, the old belts didn’t squeal. I’m now thinking it’s the bearings in the power steering pump. Is there a way to confirm this? I welcome your thoughts on this one before I buy a pulley puller and replace the PS pump.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:59 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by deerthief
My 1980 L48 (89k) started making a loud squealing noise shortly after I put new NAPA belts on it. The noise is definitely coming from the front left side of the engine compartment. It squeals when I first start the car and rev the engine and again when driving and I get on the gas. You don’t hear it when idling or going slow. It doesn't matter if I turn the wheels or go straight, the squeal happens when the RPMs go up. I replaced the NAPA belts with Goodyear Gatorbacks thinking the NAPA brand belts were causing it, still squealed. Tried a different alternator, still squealed. The power steering fluid level is correct. I noticed the power steering pump pulley is about 1/16” or so out of alignment. I’m wondering of the bracket is bent which is causing the pulley to be out of alignment, which is causing he new belts to squeal. However, the old belts didn’t squeal. I’m now thinking it’s the bearings in the power steering pump. Is there a way to confirm this? I welcome your thoughts on this one before I buy a pulley puller and replace the PS pump.
A) The new belts highlighted a new issue, such as a tight belt finishing up an old bearing.

B) Belt is wrong and riding too low in the pulley. Modern metric belts are too narrow. You have to find the right ones. I have the correct Gates numbers for 81.

Take the belts off, and turn each device. Alternator, water pump, and power steering. Feel for easy, smooth , no grinding.

Try each belt one at a time. No biggie if the waater pump or alternator is off for a minute or two.
The following users liked this post:
deerthief (04-11-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 08:14 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,292 Likes on 3,919 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Bubbba fix is belt dressing, its a sticky substance that is sprayed onto the belt where it rides in the groove to create friction and keep it from squealing. Its a last resort if all the above options dont work out
deerthief (04-22-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 09:08 AM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

try spraying some wd40 on it while running to narrow down if it is a belt and which one. it will dry and wear off fairly quickly so it's not long lasting like belt dressing. usefull for diagnosing the sqeal.

also check for critters! I had a groundhog nesting in my picku's radiator shroud once that I thought was a bad waterpump or engine knock...it happens...
deerthief (04-22-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 11:01 AM
MikesRed68
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Try putting the old belts back on and see if it still squeals.
deerthief (04-22-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 01:56 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

use a auto stethoscope or length of rubber hose to narrow down the source of the noise
deerthief (04-22-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 02:05 PM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 69 Posts

When I got my 80, it had a replacement engine in it and the pulleys were not totally aligned. Checking the pulleys, I found an incorrect pulley was installed by the previous owners mechanic.
deerthief (04-22-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 12:03 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

There are different configurations of belts...not just different lengths. It's possible they sold you the correct length of the WRONG belt. Check the code numbers on the outside of the belt and Google them to see if it is correct for your car...or not.

Also, new belts stretch out some in the first few weeks of use. You may have to retighten them--if they are correct for your car.
deerthief (04-22-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 10:23 AM
deerthief
8th Gear

Thanks for all your suggestions. I removed the a/c, alternator, and PS belts one at a time, and it still squealed when I started the engine each time. I removed the belt from the air pump above the water pump and the pulley spun fairly well with no unusual resistance or grinding noise, other than the swooshing type noise associated with the pumping action. That leaves the water pump. The more I listen to the squeal, the more it sounds like a bearing. Can a bad water pump produce a loud squeal? I threw the old belts away because they were worn and cracked. The car had been parked in storage for a decade so there are lots of little things that need fixing.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:43 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Yes. The water pump bearing can fail and cause such noise....for a while. If the bearing actually seizes up, the failure will be more damaging. Suggest that you change the water pump if that is the noise source.

Since you have all but the water pump belt off the car, you can start it again and which making that noise, shoot some water in the groove of the water pump belt. If the noise quits, the belt is your problem and it needs to be replaced. If the noise stays, the water pump is the problem.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 04-22-2017 at 10:44 AM.
deerthief (04-22-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 04:43 PM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by MelWff
use a auto stethoscope or length of rubber hose to narrow down the source of the noise
ding ding....we have a winner.... locate the source of the noise and stop throwing parts at it
deerthief (04-22-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 05:11 PM
Dave Witman
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Make sure you don,t have the belt flipped onto the wrong side of the belt guard. B
deerthief (04-22-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 08:07 PM
deerthief
8th Gear

All the belts are properly installed on the pulleys. Tried spraying the water pump and air pump belts when the squealing noise was occurring, no impact. Will replace the water pump and see what happens. Any name brands that anyone would recommend?
Old 04-23-2017, 07:47 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by deerthief
All the belts are properly installed on the pulleys. Tried spraying the water pump and air pump belts when the squealing noise was occurring, no impact. Will replace the water pump and see what happens. Any name brands that anyone would recommend?
Water pump? Delco still makes them.

If you want aluminum, Stewart or Edelbrock

Belts? Gates or Dayco
deerthief (04-23-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 01:53 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

I don't think Delco makes anything, anymore. I think GM puts foreign-made parts in a Delco box and sells them to unsuspecting American users. (The box may say 'Made in America'; but that means the BOX was made in America....not the part IN the box.

P.S. Some of the Japanese companies making cars here in the U.S. have been touting that THEY have more American part content than the U.S. companies. I think that is probably true, as the Foreign-based companies are required to have some significant American content in order to produce product here in the States. The U.S.-based car companies DO NOT HAVE SUCH A REQUIREMENT.

Shame on them!!!

Last edited by 7T1vette; 04-24-2017 at 01:58 AM.
deerthief (04-26-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 03:33 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by MelWff
A good long screwdriver works well too. Put the tip on parts of the engine and your ear to the handle.
deerthief (04-26-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 07:18 AM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
I don't think Delco makes anything, anymore. I think GM puts foreign-made parts in a Delco box and sells them to unsuspecting American users. (The box may say 'Made in America'; but that means the BOX was made in America....not the part IN the box.

P.S. Some of the Japanese companies making cars here in the U.S. have been touting that THEY have more American part content than the U.S. companies. I think that is probably true, as the Foreign-based companies are required to have some significant American content in order to produce product here in the States. The U.S.-based car companies DO NOT HAVE SUCH A REQUIREMENT.

Shame on them!!!

true... I have lost all confidence in GM.. more than half the cars are made in China or Mexico. I bought a new GMC Sierra last year.. Its been in for 6 recalls so far and 5 trips to shop for failing Chinese Coil Paks.. They refuse to replace all of them and continued to do one at a time as they die...the 5th died last week, I brought it in, only to be told that my warranty is now over at 36K except for moving parts in driveline...??? Not even Control Modules are covered. that's pathetic..and now my Trans is getting stuck in 3rd gear...they say its normal..what? ..I m done buying GM anything ever again ...sorry to corrupt the thread but GM sucks

Get notified of new replies

To 1980 Vette - Loud Squealing Noise from Engine

Old 04-24-2017, 06:10 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

If you have a continuing problem on your car, GM Policy should cover the problem even if the car has passed the warranty deadline.

Dealerships are terrible about taking care of folks with ongoing problems...just like yours. But, they have an obligation to do so, since the problem began during the warranty period and there is a KNOWN product failure problem.

See if there is a Zone representative (or whatever they call that position now) and make that contact. Squeal louder than the last person who had a problem!!
Old 04-27-2017, 01:44 PM
deerthief
8th Gear

Default Made in the USA water pump

My search for a made in the USA water pump for a 1980 corvette has been educational. I'm trying to avoid the made in China ones. I located a new old stock GM 1980 corvette 305 water pump that was made in the USA. I want to make sure it will work (same hub height) and no pulley changes will be needed before buying. Is there any difference between the OEM 1980 corvette 305 and 350 water pumps? I've noticed that Ecklers, Summit and others sell the same water pump for both 1980 vette engines. Thx
Old 04-29-2017, 09:09 PM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
If you have a continuing problem on your car, GM Policy should cover the problem even if the car has passed the warranty deadline.

Dealerships are terrible about taking care of folks with ongoing problems...just like yours. But, they have an obligation to do so, since the problem began during the warranty period and there is a KNOWN product failure problem.

See if there is a Zone representative (or whatever they call that position now) and make that contact. Squeal louder than the last person who had a problem!!
yeah, Tried that... got the run around..excuses are like aholes , everyone has one .. I tried after the first failure and the second, and the 3rd and the 4th to get them to replace all 8... nope...they refused .. warranty is over after only 14 months, so , I will do all repairs now. and GM can suck it ... if anyone is considering a new Sierra, think again.. they are junk ..as demonstrated by a pitiful 36K mi. warranty ..I know 3 others with similar problems with them..today, my high cooling fan stopped working.. junk! I would sell it but it lost so much value I would get hosed ...

Quick Reply: 1980 Vette - Loud Squealing Noise from Engine