C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

champion radiators bracket mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 09:50 PM
jimbo8125
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default champion radiators bracket mods

Some of you have indicated that you had to bend the brackets to get them to fit a champion radiator. I just don't want to bend them without knowing how others have done it. What type of bending did you do? Pictures? I am installing in a 77 L82 4 SP with air.
thanks
Jim
Old 04-19-2017, 01:20 PM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

it's been a while since I did mine, but IIRC, factory bracket with the rubber insert fit the rim/seam of the factory side tanks. the Champion, being aluminum, is not the same setup, so they tigg'd on a piece of square stock to mimic the factory lip.

I believe I had to bend mine out a little, and to the side a little (width was like 1/2" off).

I think I put in the radiator first, then used a long craftsman prybar to nudge the lower mounts carefully to get it to drop back in place properly so the uppers could go on...

just some good old persuasion, no need to get fancy. put the radiator in place and see where they need adjustment.

mine was a BB, so YMMV...hope that helps
The following users liked this post:
jimbo8125 (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 02:17 PM
wzschirnt
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I put in an aluminum radiator similar to a Champion in my 74, replacing the factory brass one. Mounts were pretty close to where they needed to be. No 'big' moving of the factory mounts was needed. The biggest issue was getting the correct rubber inserts. There are apparently, long slot ones and short slot ones. Getting the ones that hold the radiator in securely was the deal. And making sure the metal edge of the mounts didn't get into the aluminum.

Good luck
walt z.
The following users liked this post:
jimbo8125 (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 03:00 PM
jimbo8125
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

the mounts seem to fit just looks like I need to trim the cushions to be square like the rad, has anyone done that a have it work. I have never sem different size cushions except the bottom is longer and different shape than the top.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:13 AM
78pace
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo8125
the mounts seem to fit just looks like I need to trim the cushions to be square like the rad, has anyone done that a have it work. I have never sem different size cushions except the bottom is longer and different shape than the top.

Jimbo8125...did you get this mod done? I am in the process now and it seems that is all I have to do. Just trim the rubber. Square them up.....Thanks
Old 09-14-2017, 08:58 AM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

The Be-Cool I bought had square stock bars as cushion inserts too. I had to use a razor blade to lengthen the channel in the rubber cushions. Grinding was ineffective and carefully excising the material out with a razor blade was the most effective. Dewitts does a much better job of creating a direct fit that reduces the installation effort, but there's a price to be paid for it. I would have been better off with a Champion or for what I paid, better off with a Dewitts. Live & Learn.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:07 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

I trimmed the bottom cushions to get one to fit on a 77 , but I also cut a piece of thin rubber mat that covered the whole support tray to lay the rad. on.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:50 AM
chrisviktorjakematt
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

just trim your existing rubber mounts to fit the shape of your radiator. I replace my stock 78 with a champion and it took about 5 minutes to trim the rubber to fit.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:11 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisviktorjakematt
just trim your existing rubber mounts to fit the shape of your radiator. I replace my stock 78 with a champion and it took about 5 minutes to trim the rubber to fit.
I put a Champion in a 76' and that is what I did as well.....

Jebby

Get notified of new replies

To champion radiators bracket mods

Quick Reply: champion radiators bracket mods