C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wire short somewhere ????

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 07:10 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,295 Likes on 3,920 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Oh ya, I can relate. Did the Doc rebuild wiring?plug diagrams show up and do you have a wring diagram for the circuits? How about a steering wheel puller
Old 05-25-2017, 07:15 PM
MikesRed68
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
Oh ya, I can relate. Did the Doc rebuild wiring?plug diagrams show up and do you have a wring diagram for the circuits? How about a steering wheel puller
Rog yes the Doc rebuild wiring diagrams came.Plus another one from another company. And my friend has a steering wheel puller im sure i can borrow.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:23 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by MikesRed68
Rog yes the Doc rebuild wiring diagrams came.Plus another one from another company. And my friend has a steering wheel puller im sure i can borrow.
next you'll need some margaritas, A thin brunette, and a bottle of nitrosoxide
Old 05-25-2017, 07:24 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

And what does your meter look like? do you have alligator clip style 14 or 16 gauge jumper wires for testing grounds under your dash?

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 05-25-2017 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:36 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Just bypass the horn relay-

Simply take the 4 wires and use a terminal block- something as simple as this-

You won't have a horn or a key buzzer- but more than likely stop the drain....

Old 05-26-2017, 06:33 AM
MikesRed68
Racer

Originally Posted by Richard454
Just bypass the horn relay-

Simply take the 4 wires and use a terminal block- something as simple as this-

You won't have a horn or a key buzzer- but more than likely stop the drain....

Hey Richard thats a good idea , thanks for that info. But right now to me its the obsession and determination to actually find where the hell this short/drain is coming from .
Old 05-26-2017, 07:56 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by MikesRed68
Hey Richard thats a good idea , thanks for that info. But right now to me its the obsession and determination to actually find where the hell this short/drain is coming from .
Like I said before....IF the Horn relay is clicking when you connect the battery - then it IS pulling power-draining your battery. AND that's at LEAST one of your problems.

The makeshift terminal will solve the problem of the horn relay pulling power....
Old 05-26-2017, 08:10 AM
MikesRed68
Racer

Originally Posted by Richard454
Like I said before....IF the Horn relay is clicking when you connect the battery - then it IS pulling power-draining your battery. AND that's at LEAST one of your problems.

The makeshift terminal will solve the problem of the horn relay pulling power....
Richard yes it will solve the problem but not fix it.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:44 AM
blue by you
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 91 Posts

for the orange wire you need to look for the other half in the wire that are taped up and trace that to see where it goes, you will have to cut back more of the tape
The following users liked this post:
MikesRed68 (05-26-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 03:31 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Update to Mikes short issue.

We used a multimeter to establish he had a 0.70 amp drain in his system. We pulled all the fuses with no luck then went to the engine compartment to look at the horn relay since that was mentioned. Bingo on more than half the drain. The previous owner had installed the wiring wrong so that it was constantly engaging the relay but since the horn wire was in the wrong spot the horn didn't sound. We looked up the proper positioning and that knocked the drain down to 0.20 amps. The horns obviously hadnt sounded in a while because it took a few blasts to get the dirt and dust out until they sounded normal.

Next we pulled the courtesy bulbs so we could leave the doors open to look for the short under the dash and the drain went away. Very strange. we established that the lights use 3.6 amps to light but when they arent lit they are using the .2 amps. We pulled the bulbs and there is still voltage across teh terminals with the swithes open. Since it was getting dark and the fact that we don't know what the previous owner was doing cutting and splicing wires under the dash we called that solved until a new harness could be bought. So the leaving the bulbs out put the drain at 0.0 and the next morning the car fired right up.

The non working horn was fixed by Peter, He discovered that teh previous owner hadn't put the button contact in properly, so he quickly fixed hat for us. I got elected to crawl under the dash and I found that the tach ground was used on the wiper override. Since the tach didn't have a ground, pulling on the headlights lit the dash bulbs by back feeding the turn signal lamp. we fixed that and re connected the wiper override to discover the switch was bad.

So most of the problems were discovered and solved or corrected enough to get his car on the road. Mike said hes going to get that baby registered and insured and on the road very soon. I started that 427 in the driveway and it just purred sweeter than honey. If there wasnt a couple of cars blocking me in I think I woud have suggested a test drive although all those margaritas would have kept me from actually driving. All in all it was a great trip. Thanks to Peter for his help and a big thanks to Mike and Gail for the BBQ and the good time.

I wish I could have taken more pics but it got dark and the Margaritas kept calling

the the cut wire under the dash looks to be for the rear courtesy lights we believe . Its been taped up and will be looked at in the future. it appears that the wire was cut and was possibly going to be spliced with the blue barrel splice. We don't know why

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 05-29-2017 at 03:44 PM.
MikesRed68 (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 06:01 PM
MikesRed68
Racer

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
Update to Mikes short issue.

We used a multimeter to establish he had a 0.70 amp drain in his system. We pulled all the fuses with no luck then went to the engine compartment to look at the horn relay since that was mentioned. Bingo on more than half the drain. The previous owner had installed the wiring wrong so that it was constantly engaging the relay but since the horn wire was in the wrong spot the horn didn't sound. We looked up the proper positioning and that knocked the drain down to 0.20 amps. The horns obviously hadnt sounded in a while because it took a few blasts to get the dirt and dust out until they sounded normal.

Next we pulled the courtesy bulbs so we could leave the doors open to look for the short under the dash and the drain went away. Very strange. we established that the lights use 3.6 amps to light but when they arent lit they are using the .2 amps. We pulled the bulbs and there is still voltage across teh terminals with the swithes open. Since it was getting dark and the fact that we don't know what the previous owner was doing cutting and splicing wires under the dash we called that solved until a new harness could be bought. So the leaving the bulbs out put the drain at 0.0 and the next morning the car fired right up.

The non working horn was fixed by Peter, He discovered that teh previous owner hadn't put the button contact in properly, so he quickly fixed hat for us. I got elected to crawl under the dash and I found that the tach ground was used on the wiper override. Since the tach didn't have a ground, pulling on the headlights lit the dash bulbs by back feeding the turn signal lamp. we fixed that and re connected the wiper override to discover the switch was bad.

So most of the problems were discovered and solved or corrected enough to get his car on the road. Mike said hes going to get that baby registered and insured and on the road very soon. I started that 427 in the driveway and it just purred sweeter than honey. If there wasnt a couple of cars blocking me in I think I woud have suggested a test drive although all those margaritas would have kept me from actually driving. All in all it was a great trip. Thanks to Peter for his help and a big thanks to Mike and Gail for the BBQ and the good time.

I wish I could have taken more pics but it got dark and the Margaritas kept calling

the the cut wire under the dash looks to be for the rear courtesy lights we believe . Its been taped up and will be looked at in the future. it appears that the wire was cut and was possibly going to be spliced with the blue barrel splice. We don't know why

Well yesterday 5-28 was a very exciting day and met a really great guy and friend too. Rescue Rogers drove from Mass to NJ Sunday to look at my battery drain problem that was literally driving me .The details of the drain problems are posted by RR. All i can say is that this drain problem would have never been fixed and solved if it was not for RR. What a great guy he is and so unbelievably knowledgeable when it come to 68s. RR was working on this drain from 3 pm to 11pm and once again checked it all out in the morning and fired right up!!!! Music to my ears !!!!!! We all had a great time in between the BBQ , Margaritas and Corona. And it was surly nice hearing him say he loved my 68. Thank you so much again Rescue Rogers. He literally did rescue me .Made another great friend from this site too.
Rescue Rogers (05-30-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 07:13 AM
blue by you
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 91 Posts

glad to hear you got things sorted out and are up and running
MikesRed68 (05-30-2017)

Quick Reply: Wire short somewhere ????