C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ford fans

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 10:59 AM
Sacred Steel
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

For anyone who is interested, here are the numbers from a 96 Cougar fan motor. Same numbers as ajrothm's motor

Last edited by Sacred Steel; 05-14-2017 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:28 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 882 Likes on 767 Posts

So, I went and looked up this fan motor number(F4SH-8K621-AA) because it did NOT match the number I previously looked up.
Per rockauto this appears to fit both the 3.8L and the 4.6 liter cougars from 1996.
Notice VDO part number PM9027 in the second line).... if you search for part number PM9027 in the autozone webpage you get the same applications for cougars and tbirds (94 TO 97 inclusive).

See below...this is the 1996 Cougar from Rockauto:
Attached Images   

Last edited by carriljc; 05-14-2017 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Remove extraneous information not related to this motor
Old 05-14-2017, 01:14 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Default I have to stop being so curious.....

I went and looked up how to decipher ford part numbers per the following website:
http://www.fordification.com/tech/pa...s_overview.htm

Here is what I understand for the item (F4SH-8K621-AA) below as far as what it was for:
F= Decade of 1990s
4= Year 4, which means 1994
S= Thunderbird
H= Climate Control (1972-up)

Concerning the second set of digits 8K621
(Per this site: http://www.fordification.com/tech/pa...rs_regular.htm)
8600-8699 Fan and brackets
NOTE 2: Subassembly parts or accessory kits may add an additional letter (starting with "A", then "B", and so on) following the thousands digit in the part number identifier. Thus, we have a Mustang automatic transmission shift lever with part number "C5ZZ-7213-M", while the accompanying selector dial for a center-console equipped Mustang would be "C5ZZ-7A213-D".
SO....I'm "guessing" that the "K" means it's part of a subassembly of the 8600-8699, Fans and Brackets, Series.

The last 1, or 2, digits -- appear to designate revisions of the part.

Originally Posted by Sacred Steel
For anyone who is interested, here are the numbers from a 96 Cougar fan motor. Same numbers as ajrothm's motor

Last edited by carriljc; 05-14-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:24 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

I am getting a bit confused now.... but I am starting to "believe" (it's a belief because I can't prove it) that the 93-96 Mark VIII fan assembly motors are different from the 97-98 Mark VIII fan assembly motors.
carriljc ,
Thanks for all that research work super cool to have it all here,

I thought something to this effect all along, then after the hollister emails formed a theory,

At this point i give hollister the the benifit of the doubt so far, but experts can and are wrong time to time,

Piecing together his info and info from lots of places, i highly doubt there was a true 2 speed mark 8 fan,

I also do not believe that 97 98 mk 8 fans move any more cfm than the eariler ones or the t bird cougar fans,

I believe people assumed because the 97 98 mk 8 spin faster rpm it put out more cfm, but the higher rpm was to compensate for the different blade design, its the 97 98 mk 8 white plug a true 2 wire plug?

I believe the reason for a dummy wire found on mk 8s motors is because they are just modified t bird cougar motors, and in being modified likely could have different part numbers,

Any aftermarket electric fan controller instructions tell you if your fan is 2 speed use their controller on high side which makes sense, so mk 8s do not need a low speed like t bird cougar since these cars computer controlled the fan hence the wire that goes no where in the mk 8 motor,

I see when i pull up the t bird cougar fan assembly two blade designs, the more sickle or banana shaped blades will make less noise than the more medieval weapon shaped blade which might move cfm at the cost of extra noise,

All sounds great, like i know my **** right?
Not so fast,

Here is my big old rat hair in the tuna salad,

I cant find a new mk 8 fan assembly sold anywhere, it is posted around the shroud is the same as the t bird cougar shroud

If the same why isnt the t bird cougar fan assembly offered as replacement for the mk 8?

Could be a small difference in the mounting or the plug but i plan to ask the hollister guy this one....stay tuned.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:22 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

So duh on me the hollister guy says the 94 t bird cougar fan assembly wont interchange with the mk 8 because the motors are different,

Im gonna buy 94 t bird fan , either play it cheap and use relays to use both speeds one at a time or get crazy and buy that 200.00 controller.....
Old 05-14-2017, 09:34 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

So, to get the 1998 Lincoln Fan Assembly Motor Part Number--- I guess I could go remove and tear my Lincoln fan assembly apart and hopefully the part number for the motor is stamped on the fan motor.
I am quite confident that my fan assembly is a Lincoln per the description of how to read Ford part numbers:
F8LH-8C607-AA
F= Decade of 1990s
8= Year 8, which means 1998
L= LINCOLN

Last edited by carriljc; 05-14-2017 at 09:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jimvette999 (05-20-2017)
Old 05-14-2017, 09:47 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by carriljc
So, to get the 1998 Lincoln Fan Assembly Motor Part Number--- I guess I could go remove and tear my Lincoln fan assembly apart and hopefully the part number for the motor is stamped on the fan motor.
I am quite confident that my fan assembly is a Lincoln per the description of how to read Ford part numbers:
F8LH-8C607-AA
F= Decade of 1990s
L= LINCOLN
Well sure you can get your motor number that way,
Is your motor single speed or two speed, unless its 2 speed AND mk 8 the motor numbers not too important, or im missing something?
Old 05-14-2017, 09:59 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Default My motor is single speed

It only runs one speed. I opened up the terminal connector cover on the fan when I bought it and the center terminal doesn't go anywhere. That much I know.

I really don't feel like pulling it out. I'll take a look tomorrow to see if i can glimpse the motor part number.....but I'm doubting it.

The reason I'm curious is because of so much misinformation concerning the 1997 and 1998 Lincoln Mark VIII fan assembly and associated motor. Cannot find either the assembly, nor the motor, anymore..... I suspect they're somehow different from the 1993 to 1996 Mark VIII motors because those are available (as PM9032 at autozone ..where the website even tells you that it fits 93-96 Mark VIIIs).

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Well sure you can get your motor number that way,
Is your motor single speed or two speed, unless its 2 speed AND mk 8 the motor numbers not too important, or im missing something?

Last edited by carriljc; 05-14-2017 at 10:07 PM.
jimvette999 (05-20-2017)
Old 05-14-2017, 10:23 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

It only runs one speed. I opened up the terminal connector cover on the fan when I bought it and the center terminal doesn't go anywhere. That much I know.

I really don't feel like pulling it out. I'll take a look tomorrow to see if i can glimpse the motor part number.....but I'm doubting it.

The reason I'm curious is because of so much misinformation concerning the 1997 and 1998 Lincoln Mark VIII fan assembly and associated motor. Cannot find either the assembly, nor the motor, anymore..... I suspect they're somehow different from the 1993 to 1996 Mark VIII motors because those are available (as PM9032 at autozone ..where the website even tells you that it fits 93-96 Mark VIIIs).
I wouldnt try too hard to find your part number,

Here is my guessing speculation on the 98 98 mk8 fan assembly,

Since the early mk8 fans used a motor with a dummy wire or like in your case a wire doesnt go anywhere, when 97 kicked in they actually stopped just having a wire to no where and those motors just have two wires and the according plug,

I also have seen posted something about some mk8s having a white plug, so it would not surprise me if they 97 98 had the white plugs...

See what OCD does to me....

But tech talk is far better than soap operas
Old 05-15-2017, 04:55 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

Pan shroud and the Volvo fan and relay is mounted in upper right corner of shroud.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:18 PM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

F8LH-8C607-AA
F= Decade of 1990s
L= LINCOLN

must....not....let this thread die

Anyway, in the picture below, (used to send to salvage yards) I've noted my 2 cents for use in tracking down the elusive 97/98 Mark Fan. I've acquired two of them now...both used. No new motors for 97/98 are offered/listed, only aftermarket replacement fan assemblies that include a shroud, not even an OEM in appearance/style. Fan motors for 96 and earlier still offered. I went to a U Pull It salvage and what LKQ gave me from their cross reference system was:
system:
F7LZ-8C607-AB = 97 only fan
Options: Fan ASSM
- [00333]

F8LZ-8C607-AA = 98 only fan
Options: Fan ASSM
- [00334]

Meaning perhaps that the 97 & 98 had higher speed fan motors and controllers which is why no other fan motors are offered..they simply stopped making them. I emailed a Houston vendor about one he had sold in 2001...here's what he replied.

heidemanracingdynamics@gmail.com
May 19 at 1:39 PM

Sorry but ford sold the last one years ago and isn't making any more

Any other motor might be over run by the 97 or 98 controller or would simply not run fast enough to meet OEM spec. for cooling requirements. This is the only logical conclusion I can figure out... it's the controller on the 97/98 that is incompatible with other "similar" motors so there is no motor offering to match the controllers that would be in a 97/98 Lincoln.

The verified 97 fan I have in hand now is F7LH-8C607-AB. I believe the "H" is valid as I've seen it mentioned several times in several locations on the "web". The other fan on the way is for a 98. There is something unique about the 97/98 fan because it's simply not offered/available anymore and as pointed out by OP, they would be substituting the cougar/t-bird/96 earlier Mark fan motors...this tells me the 97/98 is TRUELY a high speed fan and like Bats, I only want the fastest avail. My OCD dictates it Also, nowhere is there any indication the Mark VIII fans of ANY year were anything but ONE speed. They do carry a three prong female plug in white and black. In my case, unlike carriljc's,the center electrode enters the motor housing and is joined with the left + terminal. I know because I looked on my 97 under the inspection cover that some motors come with. The Cougar/T-Bird motors are 2 Speed and probably quite adequate in cooling the Vettes as demonstrated in ajrothm's Vette. I'm no expert on anything but I've read a boatload of data on these Mark fans...hours and hours. Also, unless the motor has the stamping between the shroud and the motor, there is no stamped number I can find on my 97 Mark motor...not even the sticker shown in other posts...no markings whatsoever.

The13Bats, thank you so much for the engine compliment! Really appreciate it.

Last edited by jimvette999; 05-20-2017 at 07:40 PM. Reason: refinement/clarifications
carriljc (05-20-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 07:59 PM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

carriljc (05-20-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 08:23 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

What can i say your engine gives me warm fuzzies and makes me jealous, but motivated to work on my car,

I too have done more research on these than i should have, blah,
A few things i learned is a lot of the confusion was simply poorly written tech articles,

I went into this hoping there was some magic fan that fit and covered most or a c3 core, and blew more cfm than the best aftermarket fans and icing on the cake was cheap,

My OCD is both a good and bad thing
In this ford fan subject,

my conclusion and this comes from many things i read , research and my own thinking,

As much as i wanted the 97 98 mk8 fan to be that magic fan its sadly not,
I do believe the motor is unique and is likely because it spins higher rpm but i do not believe it puts out any more cfm than the t bird unit that "looks" identical,
I believe that the blades were tweaked to make less noise but that required more rpm to produce the same cfm,
Another nail in the coffin no replacement anything is out there for 97 98 mk8 the motor and blades are different,

All that is written about out in internet land by people who earn a living off this stuff, doesnt mean they are always correct, but this time it makes sense to me,

This leaves an owner of a 97 98 mk8 in a pickle, if their cooling fan goes out they have to use those generic aftermarket replacements, lucky the mk8 falls into the throw away car category and after 20 years not many on the road,

I wasnt going to highjack this thread with other make and model talk but i cannot even imagine the mk8/t bird fan..

( yes, i group them together until i see unbiased cfm testing )

..Was some end all to be all fan and its at the youngest 20 years old,

One cat tells me the brushless c7 fan might be worth a look,
I posted in c7 days ago for fan measurements and either the c7 guys hate me because i dont want a c7 or they never wrench on their cars, but im waiting,

I like the brushless idea, the shroud doesn't appear it will cover as much as the t bird shroud does, and its $300 plus for the bigger 600w which my ocd would demand, and like with the mk8 t bird fans we do not know cfm, but cooling a 450 hp has to be harder than cooling a mk8, much more info is needed so i opened the door, highjack away, talk about other good electric fans, EXCEPT not the spal dual 11 which has been beaten to death on this forum....

Thinking outside the box doesnt have to hurt.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:25 PM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by scrappy76
My gosh, Bill Nye The Science Guy would be soo proud of this thread.

A simple question turned into a show.

93 Ford Taurus 2 speed fan installed along with a 3 core Champion radiator to cool my 454 conversion 76. Low speed comes on at 180 with a thermostat, High speed comes on when I want it to with a switch on the dash. So far cools pretty good over the last 3 years.
I forgot to put in that I also have the spreader bar install, and it fits fine.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:39 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by scrappy76
I forgot to put in that I also have the spreader bar install, and it fits fine.
I too have but not using a taurus 2 speed cfm is good but i hated the shroud
Old 05-20-2017, 09:15 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Default geez.... now I know I'm going to have to tear it apart...

I guess I'm just going to have to go look. Too dang curious for my own good. What I hope to find/verify/check:
1. Stamped, or otherwise identifiable, fan assembly part number.
2. Fan motor part number.
3. Picture of the "unused" terminal.

By the way--- my Mark VIII shroud fits wonderfully.

Now to see when I get around to it???

A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS:
1. SO--- since we can no longer find 97-98 Mark VIII fans, nor replacement motors, what would be a substitute (Cougar, T-bird?) that uses approximately the same dimension fan assembly size? I ask because that would probably be the easiest thing to do if needing to replace without major mods.
2. Is there a replacement motor that "fits" in the 97-98 Mark VIII fan assembly motor location?

F8LH-8C607-AA
F= Decade of 1990s
L= LINCOLN

Last edited by carriljc; 05-20-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:30 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

I guess I'm just going to have to go look. Too dang curious for my own good. What I hope to find/verify/check:

A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS:
1. SO--- since we can no longer find 97-98 Mark VIII fans, nor replacement motors, what would be a substitute (Cougar, T-bird?) that uses approximately the same dimension fan assembly size? I ask because that would probably be the easiest thing to do if needing to replace without major mods.
2. Is there a replacement motor that "fits" in the 97-98 Mark VIII fan assembly motor location?
I exchanged several emails with the cat at hollister and he is convinced that the 94 t bird assembly is the same thing the cfm as any mk8 that mk8s stuff is different due to blade tweaks different blade to help sound and in turn needing more rpm to make the same cfm after blade tweaks, same shroud, this floats for me, sounds logical because no mk8s had any reports of overheating so no need for Lincoln to increase cfm at the end of a run, but less noise would be a concern,

Since the entire 94 t bird assembly can be bought new less than 100.00 a bb d looks just like a mk8 assembly and moves the same cfm why fool with trying to for example stick a replacent t bird motor in a mk8 shroud with bad motor, all you gain is work effort.

Side note,
Look up 94 t bird fan assembly on ebay, and you see two blade designs offered, one sickle and one more ax shaped like the mk8 blades, same cfm but rpm very well could vary, the sickle blades make less noise.
If i buy t bird fan it will have tge ax shaped blade,

But im waiting for more on the brushless c7 fan...very intrigued

Last edited by The13Bats; 05-20-2017 at 09:34 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To ford fans

Old 05-20-2017, 09:53 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Default just went to "that" online auction site to look for mark-8 fans

Found several (allegedly). I wrote to one character asking for the part number and he said he didn't have it. I told him where the part number was and I'm awaiting a reply.

Amazing how much Basically Senseless information there is concerning these 97-98 fans.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:01 PM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS:
My thinking is when the 97/98 fan motor fails and I run out of spares, just use a replacement fan motor PM 9032 for a 96 and earlier that spins at 1100-1800 RPM instead of the supposed 1800-2225 rpm. It "should" still cool adequately as other Mark users have demonstrated.

So....Bats
I'm pretty sure I can use the important bits of the Mark VIII fan assy to fit into the outlet of my existing 76L fan shroud. That gives me full radiator coverage, air directed at my engine and not the ground, full volume "funnel effect" of the stock shroud (not baking pan which is prob fine), and a project to do with my son this summer when I tackle the project. I'll report back when it's done. Preliminary indications are I may have to flip the the entire fan assembly over and wire it to run in reverse to avoid contacting my blower belt with the protruding motor of the Mark. The back of the fan is concave/flat and should still offer the same CFM in reverse or it seems to when bench tested.
Here..laugh some more!!

Last edited by jimvette999; 05-20-2017 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:08 PM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Found several (allegedly). I wrote to one character asking for the part number and he said he didn't have it. I told him where the part number was and I'm awaiting a reply.

Amazing how much Basically Senseless information there is concerning these 97-98 fans.
PM me if you have no luck... I have two leads left for Florida salvage yards that supposedly have them. I burnt one lead by purchasing the fan...delivery expected early next week. Expect around $150ish shipped. I think The13Bats has decided on buying something else or I'd offer to him too.

Last edited by jimvette999; 05-20-2017 at 10:12 PM.

Quick Reply: ford fans