C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1975 Belt Squeel problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 04:20 PM
CCSBT20
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1975 Belt Squeel problem

Hey guys, Ever since I installed my headers I'm having a problem with belt squeal, Its gotten progressively worse. The only conclusion I can come to is that because there are no longer any belts on the right side of the engine where the A/C used to be (had to remove due to the headers) that it is causing those belts to pull too much to one side and creating a squeak. I was just wondering if there was anyone who had similar problems or knew of something that could cause this to happen. Also if there are any solutions I have considered relocating the alternator but that sounds like a headache waiting to happen
Old 05-12-2017, 03:49 AM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

So how many belts have you got going around the crank and water pump pulleys together? A pic would be helpful to determine what is going on.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:46 AM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

They are tensioned independantly of each other. I don't see how missing AC belt will cause one of the others any misalignment. Check for the tension of the remaining belts. And check the alternator for failing bearings, just remove it's belt and turn it by hand.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:38 AM
midigike
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Are these the old belts you are reusing? Buy new ones if that is the case
Old 05-12-2017, 12:46 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by midigike
Are these the old belts you are reusing? Buy new ones if that is the case
WHEN you buy the new belts, be aware that with the change to metric, came a change in the pitch of the V in the pulleys...they are less steep , and so a metric belt is what you typically get at a parts house, they ride lower in the groove and you will note a concave curve along the back of the belts....because the more steep V of the old pulleys rides on the upper section of the narrower metric belt.....

you have to specifically ask or even internet order/special order an AMERICAN SAE standard new belt of proper size.....

the metric belts seem fine for a while, then get worn, and squeel/slip like mad.....

USED to be, back in the day the belts were a full 1/2 inch wide across the back, and so rode with full contact and near the top of the pulley grooves......

Old 05-12-2017, 08:41 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

The AC car has a 7 blade fan and has 2 belts to run the fan, the AC belt and the alternator belt. By removing the AC, you have gone to 1 belt running the fan and alternator, that's a big job for 1 belt. The cure is to find a belt short enough to run it in the fan and crankshaft pulley where the AC belt used to be.

Get notified of new replies

To 1975 Belt Squeel problem

Quick Reply: 1975 Belt Squeel problem