C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOT ROD Power Tour 2017, "Official CF thread", count down begins....

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 08:32 AM
BlowAMouse
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

By my count (which i can't) we got 5 for the long haul and several short timers.

anybody interested in a C3 caravan?

man I hope my **** lasts this year....
Old 05-26-2017, 10:53 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by BlowAMouse
By my count (which i can't) we got 5 for the long haul and several short timers.

I'm sure we can meet up in KC and possibly roll out together. I'm leaving Houston on the Thursday 8th, gonna drive most of the way to KC, spend the night somewhere on Thursday night, then roll into KC on Friday morning.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:36 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Time to do work!

Just slapped new red top Optima in it, now its time for a compression check up, fresh plugs and an oil change, after that, mechanically, its ready to go.

Already started packing my spare parts I'm bringing along....

Gotta pack real smart to take a bunch of extra parts and tools in a vette.

Bringing a bunch of Holley parts, fuel pump rebuild kit, electric fan motor and new relays, valve springs, rocker arms, bulk spark plug wire/ends, extra plugs, plus a ton of electrical supplies. Ofcourse an extra gallon of oil, antifreeze etc...

Pretty much just need to leak check the T Tops and rear window, wash/wax it and we'll be KC bound from Houston. 10 days and counting.

Last edited by ajrothm; 05-28-2017 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:31 PM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Right now we are planning on doing Newton and Davenport. Hope to see some of ya' there.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:42 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,878 Likes on 916 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Great to see you guys taking up the challenge. I can't make it this year....but need to put it on my to-do list.

We'll need daily updates!!

JIM
The following users liked this post:
ajrothm (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 09:48 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
Great to see you guys taking up the challenge. I can't make it this year....but need to put it on my to-do list.

We'll need daily updates!!

JIM

Jim, you know I'll be updating with pics/vids etc.. I'll probably just add everything to this thread. I figure its gonna be about 3500 miles round trip for me.

I was always geeked out following people's adventures in their cars with pics, vids, stories etc.... Luckily I'm fortunate enough this year to be able to do it myself so I like sharing with everyone... Maybe it will motivate people to get out and DRIVE THEIR VETTES...
Big Block Dave (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 10:49 AM
BlowAMouse
Racer

Well ajrothm with all the spare parts you're bringing, I'm definitely following you. 😀

I fixed a bunch of things that let me down after coming home from the Loan Star Classic last weekend. Took car out for test run yesterday and snapped the bolt off the front of the ProCharger. You know the one that holds the pulley on.

So today will be spent removing the blower and getting it packaged up with the hope that ProCharger can fix it and return it to me on time.

plan B, will be to modify the hardware and EFI tune to run blower-less. Either way I have 10 days to get it working.

BTW I too am leaving Thursday morning and spending the night in OKC. if you like, PM your phone number to me incase you need a hand with something.

Let the fun commence!!!!
Old 05-29-2017, 11:11 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Well ajrothm with all the spare parts you're bringing, I'm definitely following you. 😀

I fixed a bunch of things that let me down after coming home from the Loan Star Classic last weekend. Took car out for test run yesterday and snapped the bolt off the front of the ProCharger. You know the one that holds the pulley on.

So today will be spent removing the blower and getting it packaged up with the hope that ProCharger can fix it and return it to me on time.

plan B, will be to modify the hardware and EFI tune to run blower-less. Either way I have 10 days to get it working.

BTW I too am leaving Thursday morning and spending the night in OKC. if you like, PM your phone number to me incase you need a hand with something.

Let the fun commence!!!!
OKC may be a good place to stop for the night...I haven't really planned the Thursday night stop. I'll PM you.

BTW, no way you can drill/EZ out the broken bolt?

No way will you get the blower back from ATI in less then 10 days. I think I'd take it to a local machine shop, they can get the bolt out. Need to heat it up. Make sure to change the blower oil after you do all of this.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:36 AM
BlowAMouse
Racer

I will try to remove the bolt myself, I will have to mic the shaft because it took a hit. The pulley will need replacing. The belt guard I made saved my hood.

Know anyone with a 4.5" 12 rib pulley for a F1?

thanks for the heads up on the oil. Will do
Old 05-29-2017, 01:03 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

I will try to remove the bolt myself, I will have to mic the shaft because it took a hit. The pulley will need replacing. The belt guard I made saved my hood.

Know anyone with a 4.5" 12 rib pulley for a F1?

thanks for the heads up on the oil. Will do
You can get the pulleys from A&A corvette, and maybe Dallas Performance, however a 12 rib will be hard to find. You'll probably have to get it from ATI directly. Most of the F series stuff is either 10 rib or cogged.

Yeah when you break or sling a belt, it will mess some stuff up for sure.

I may have a new bottle of Procharger oil laying around I can send you...Lemme look tonight.

Last edited by ajrothm; 05-29-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:47 PM
Patro46
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/2017-...oute-download/

HRPT 2017 is less then a month out... I've already started prepping the car. Just a couple things left to do on my list. I'll be long hauling my 71' bringing my 65 year old Dad along for the ride.

Who else is coming and what are you bringing?

Car/prep pics are welcome!
This is year 3 we have tried to pull this off and we just might do it.
My son's twin turbo TransAm is about ready and my 74 Stingray vert is finally ready as we just got her dyno tuned and the supercharged LSA 6 liter iron block is ready for some state to state activity.
If anyone in Oklahoma is going, give me a shout! Plenty of power, along with creature comforts like an AC that will shrink your cojones...
Pretty much says it all....but that was before adding the supercharger
Old 05-29-2017, 02:25 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Patro46
This is year 3 we have tried to pull this off and we just might do it.
My son's twin turbo TransAm is about ready and my 74 Stingray vert is finally ready as we just got her dyno tuned and the supercharged LSA 6 liter iron block is ready for some state to state activity.
If anyone in Oklahoma is going, give me a shout! Plenty of power, along with creature comforts like an AC that will shrink your cojones...
Pretty much says it all....but that was before adding the supercharger

We may be stopping in OKC Thursday night, then leaving OKC early Friday morning to roll to KC and be there before lunch. Maybe we can meet up on the way out of OKC or something.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:33 AM
Patro46
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
We may be stopping in OKC Thursday night, then leaving OKC early Friday morning to roll to KC and be there before lunch. Maybe we can meet up on the way out of OKC or something.
Sounds like a plan. We plan on leaving Tulsa early Friday. I think we have 4 from our local area going counting my son and I, but Im not sure what the other two's plans are.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:16 PM
eflow73
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would be interested in a caravan. This is my first long haul and we don't know anyone else going.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:34 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Thrashing to get everything done....

Plug change...
Name:  IMG_3620_zpsk6bpqtkc.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  2.04 MB

Compression check.....(pretty much exactly where it was 16k miles ago)
Name:  IMG_3622_zpsjwvy4jhf.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  1.99 MB

AC check up...
Name:  IMG_3628_zpsvayr5kvj.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  2.04 MB
Greased the front end, oiled up anything squeaky, checked tension on everything, checked wheel bearings etc..

Also leak checked the pop out rear glass and T tops, both leak profusely.....I think I got the back window 95% sealed up but...T-Tops are another story, new seals on them and they still leak. Not sure what I'm gonna do about that. Also, I may need to change the trans pan gasket as it seaping pretty good and snugging the bolts didn't help. I may be having to leave Friday for a funeral out of state, so I'll lose 3 days of prep time.....I'll be running it down to the wire for sure.

Last edited by ajrothm; 05-30-2017 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:46 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 613 Likes on 368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

Wife and I will be long hauling again this year in the 65. Great fun! I carry a decently equipped tool box and a few parts in the spare tire carrier if anyone needs them. Hopefully they are just ballast!

Tom
ajrothm (05-30-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 09:18 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 718 Likes on 518 Posts

Man, sounds like y'all will have fun...

Get notified of new replies

To HOT ROD Power Tour 2017, "Official CF thread", count down begins....

Old 06-01-2017, 08:28 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Richard Daugird
Man, sounds like y'all will have fun...

Oh yeah man....Its gonna be a total blast. I'll be running the GoPro camera and will eventually put together a little documentary of the trip showing the action, the cars, and the people. This will take me a while to do though, so, I'll update this thread with pics as the trip progresses.

I'm just hoping for good weather at this point. Weather has been real sketchy everywhere lately.

I start packing tools/parts etc tonight.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:26 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

Hey Alan, I remember when you made your road trip to the east coast and you posted a pic driving in the rain. I think your wife was with you on that trip and your dad will be with you on this trip. I suppose your T tops were leaking back then too. I have a wife and I remember my father and I can tell you if your wife survived the water leaks, I'm sure your father will be fine.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:28 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 578 Likes on 460 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Keep us posted

Quick Reply: HOT ROD Power Tour 2017, "Official CF thread", count down begins....