C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Braided spark plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 03:41 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by MikesRed68
69427 Thanks what would recommend for performance upgrade. What would the best performance wires be ?
Like some of the previous posters, I've had good luck with the Taylor spiral wound wires.

There's two reasons I'm not a big fan of the braid covered wires. The first is that the external braiding forms the equivalent of one plate of a large capacitor, and the plug wire internal conductor forms the other plate. This means that the ignition coil has to charge up a large capacitor to a high voltage before the plug can actually fire. This just slows up the high voltage ramp, allowing any sparkplug carbon fouling or deposits to leak away the coil energy during the high voltage ramp up, reducing the net energy delivered to the plug. Is this a problem? Usually not, but I'm not a big fan of things that reduce the efficiency of a component.
The second thing I'm not a big fan of with those wires is that if there is any marginal insulation anyplace in the length of the wire, the spark only has to take a short jump to ground out against the braid. Does this happen a lot? I don't think so, but again, I don't like stuff that increases my chances of having problems somewhere down the road.
The following users liked this post:
MikesRed68 (05-17-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 03:52 PM
MikesRed68
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 69427
Like some of the previous posters, I've had good luck with the Taylor spiral wound wires.

There's two reasons I'm not a big fan of the braid covered wires. The first is that the external braiding forms the equivalent of one plate of a large capacitor, and the plug wire internal conductor forms the other plate. This means that the ignition coil has to charge up a large capacitor to a high voltage before the plug can actually fire. This just slows up the high voltage ramp, allowing any sparkplug carbon fouling or deposits to leak away the coil energy during the high voltage ramp up, reducing the net energy delivered to the plug. Is this a problem? Usually not, but I'm not a big fan of things that reduce the efficiency of a component.
The second thing I'm not a big fan of with those wires is that if there is any marginal insulation anyplace in the length of the wire, the spark only has to take a short jump to ground out against the braid. Does this happen a lot? I don't think so, but again, I don't like stuff that increases my chances of having problems somewhere down the road.
Is that the same for a HEI Distributor?
Old 05-16-2017, 04:12 PM
blue by you
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 91 Posts

Yes it is
Old 05-16-2017, 04:30 PM
super charged
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a new set of old wires not a current # are these any good?
Old 05-16-2017, 09:31 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by super charged
I would contact Taylor and ask them the question. You will probably get the most direct and accurate answer from them. Be sure to include the part number on the package you have.

I have used the Taylor Spiral Core wires on a number of vehicles and been very pleased with the results. They are very easy to install and fit to the exact length you need. That way, you're not having to find some place to hide the extra length, which always seems to get in the way of the normal Corvette shielding.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 05-17-2017, 03:56 AM
zuendler
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 3X2
Pick a universal V8 wire set of your choice of manufacturer and get the braided overbraid sleeve and slide it over the wire before crimping on the hei terminal.
So did I. I needed the thicker MSD wires and put them into stainless overbraid, looks like original. Sure it´s thicker over all, but this will only be recognized by the experts.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:33 AM
MikesRed68
Racer

What engine were they for?
Old 05-17-2017, 08:25 AM
super charged
Instructor

I was planing on using them with my SB & point distributor (74) because it has a blower going on it and theirs not room for the shielding.I bought a lot of parts 20 some years ago and been digging them out as I get deeper in to it.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:27 AM
crisko
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 69- 390- 427 also Motor has some upgrades and MSD. I couldn t believe the diff. in performance when I changed the wires to 8mm accel. The braided wires were not old maybe 3 years and 2000 miles. I keep the braided in a box just to say I have them .Todays stuff is just way better
Old 05-17-2017, 11:07 AM
MikesRed68
Racer

Originally Posted by crisko
I have a 69- 390- 427 also Motor has some upgrades and MSD. I couldn t believe the diff. in performance when I changed the wires to 8mm accel. The braided wires were not old maybe 3 years and 2000 miles. I keep the braided in a box just to say I have them .Todays stuff is just way better
So what are u saying ? U changed the braided wire to 8mm accel ? Todays wires are way better? Which wires are u reffering to? The braided or Accel 8mm
Old 05-17-2017, 03:30 PM
crisko
Intermediate

Yes changed to 8mm accel.As 69427 said the braided wires can cause problems which was my situation
Old 05-17-2017, 04:32 PM
MikesRed68
Racer

Originally Posted by crisko
Yes changed to 8mm accel.As 69427 said the braided wires can cause problems which was my situation
crisko. What were the problems you were having or had with the braided .
Old 05-17-2017, 07:21 PM
crisko
Intermediate

Bad idle caused by dirty plugs . Just wasn't running smooth . Started by changing out the wires and couldn t believe the difference. That was 3 years ago and haven't touched it since.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:06 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 336 Posts

When the braided wires were installed on the 68 and 69 big blocks it was for noise suppression only, not performance. If you ordered a car with a radio you got braided wires and without a radio, normal wires. I have them on my stock 69 L36 and they look kind of cool but as far as performance they are probably more of a hindrance than anything else.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:54 PM
super charged
Instructor

What engine were they for?

These are also 8mm
MikesRed68 (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 07:29 AM
MikesRed68
Racer

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
When the braided wires were installed on the 68 and 69 big blocks it was for noise suppression only, not performance. If you ordered a car with a radio you got braided wires and without a radio, normal wires. I have them on my stock 69 L36 and they look kind of cool but as far as performance they are probably more of a hindrance than anything else.
CanadaGrant ...Would u be able to tell or feel the performance difference?
Old 05-18-2017, 07:47 AM
MikesRed68
Racer

Ok i called up Summit Racing and spoke to a tech. I am or was ( still debating ) on Taylor Street Series Full Metal Jacket HEI Ignition wires. Model or Item # 91004 . They are about $180. And the tech told me these braided wires are high performance. And never ever heard of someone saying that they had a grounding issue or any other kind of problem with them. Maybe if u looked them up on Summit Racing u could tell me more about them. Like i said i do love the way braided spark plugs look and he did say that THESE ARE PERFORMANCE TOO. Also he said these are the same as the Spiral wound except braided and chrome plated boots for heat shielding. Check them out ok? Tell me what you think..

Get notified of new replies

To Braided spark plug wires

Old 05-18-2017, 08:57 AM
super charged
Instructor

Ok i called up Summit Racing and spoke to a tech. I am or was ( still debating ) on Taylor Street Series Full Metal Jacket HEI Ignition wires. Model or Item # 91004 . They are about $180. And the tech told me these braided wires are high performance. And never ever heard of someone saying that they had a grounding issue or any other kind of problem with them. Maybe if u looked them up on Summit Racing u could tell me more about them. Like i said i do love the way braided spark plugs look and he did say that THESE ARE PERFORMANCE TOO. Also he said these are the same as the Spiral wound except braided and chrome plated boots for heat shielding. Check them out ok? Tell me what you think..

I sent Taylor an email yesterday but haven't heard back yet on these old wires.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:04 AM
MikesRed68
Racer

I sent Taylor an email yesterday but haven't heard back yet on these old wires.
How much did u want for em?
Old 05-18-2017, 10:45 AM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 336 Posts

CanadaGrant ...Would u be able to tell or feel the performance difference?
No. I have never used a wire where you could actually feel the performance difference between sets unless the wires are bad or burnt. I think the difference between well made wires using top grade materials and cheap wires is not performance but reliability and length of service.
MikesRed68 (05-18-2017)

Quick Reply: Braided spark plug wires