C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

drivetrain clunk

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 09:45 PM
wesley1776.
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drivetrain clunk

Hey all,
my 79 corvette has a clunk when shifting into reverse and then into drove from a stop. It also has a clunk when you let off the gas quickly and also when you go from decelerating to accelerating. I have replaced the "doughnut" on the rear end. Its got a turbo 350 transmission and a 327. I replaced the u-joints with the correct spicer solid u-joints about 4 months ago. I have changed and added the correct rear end fluid and additive regularly.

The rear end looks like it was rebuilt by the previous owner and it also has a new rear spring. When driving at about 65 in third gear the rpms are about 3500. Could it be incorrect backlash when setting up the differential?

Has anyone experienced this before?
thanks,
Wesley
Old 05-13-2017, 10:35 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Could it be incorrect backlash when setting up the differential?
Could be, I'm no expert on that subject. Have you checked the transmission mount?
Old 05-13-2017, 10:38 PM
wesley1776.
4th Gear

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
Could be, I'm no expert on that subject. Have you checked the transmission mount?
I have not. I have a box of new bushings for the whole car that I've slowly been working with when removing and restoring parts. I will jack it up and check that tomorrow. It being lowered 5-6 inches doesn't quite help looking underneath the car. lol.

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2017, 11:50 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 336 Posts

You said you replaced the u-joints. Did you do the half shafts as well as the driveshaft?
Old 05-14-2017, 05:18 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

When you have it jacked up, rock the rear tires back and forth to see if you can find any play. T
Old 05-14-2017, 06:34 AM
nz corvette
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi, Had this on my car, when cold and put in reverse, found the rear end was lose,wheel bearings and trail arm bushes.It might look like its been done but there is no harm in checking!
As Terry said check for movement in wheel bearings and trail arm bushesDave NZ
Old 05-14-2017, 07:16 AM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

Sounds like a snubber bushing to me....But they may be what your are calling the doughnut....? Could be bad trailing arm bushings, if the they are bad the rear end will seem to have a mind of it's own when getting on the gas....Almost like it's trying to fishtail.

Brian
Old 05-14-2017, 08:03 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

A worn transmission modulating valve, if your tranny has one?
Old 05-14-2017, 12:50 PM
wesley1776.
4th Gear

Thanks for the replies guys! I'll check out the suggestions and go from there.

Are the rear wheel bearings rebuildable?
Old 05-14-2017, 01:01 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Wesley,
Welcome!
First Posts!!!!
Yes the bearings in the trailing arms are replaceable but require some skill and specialized tools to do so.
Many folks send their trailing arms to one of the companies that do that work on a regular basis to have it done.
It's a bit costly, but once diagnosed, NOT a problem that can be ignored for very long.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 05-14-2017 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 02:52 PM
wesley1776.
4th Gear

I just took a little time and jacked up the rear end of the car. The only movement in the tires is when I grabbed them at 12 and 6 and rocked them back and fourth. I can't feel or see any movement in the hubs but I can see the trailing arm rocking back and fourth a good bit in the "box" in the frame. I can also see the halfshaft yolks being pushed in and out of the differential between 3/8" and 1/2". Everything else seems tight and good. I am very mechanically inclined and can rebuild or set up anything that I'd need to. I've done frame off restorations on a 78 and an 84 k10. No shop has ever touched my vehicles as I like to learn how to do it myself. I've done everything from full paint jobs to rebuilding motors.

I just need some insight as I am still learning about both my corvettes and how they're set up.

Thank you you guys for being so helpful in this process.

Could the bushings in the trailing arms be causing the back and fourth movement?
Old 05-14-2017, 03:20 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Wesley,
I believe it's the amount of shims used or not used that would allow the side to side movement.

The 71 Chassis Service Manual suggests using the shims between the control arm and inner side of the frame pocket to set the "toe-in".

Once that is achieved the other side of the control arm is to be filled with shims.

It further cautions to not use undue "force" on the shims on the outer side of control arm to fill the gap. Undue force can lead to a change in the toe setting.

Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 05-14-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:15 PM
Wee
Drifting

I think you have found the problem....Worn out trailing arm bushings. I just went thru this project myself and like you I'm a do it yourself kind of guy. It turned out nice and I have had no issues.

This ain't a job that can be done with just a set of hand tools.

If your bolts are rusted to the trailing arms at the frame don't even bother trying any other sawzall blade...Just get one of these.

Good luck with the project....
Brian
Old 05-15-2017, 08:50 AM
Rcdizy
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wesley1776.
I just took a little time and jacked up the rear end of the car. The only movement in the tires is when I grabbed them at 12 and 6 and rocked them back and fourth. I can't feel or see any movement in the hubs but I can see the trailing arm rocking back and fourth a good bit in the "box" in the frame. I can also see the halfshaft yolks being pushed in and out of the differential between 3/8" and 1/2". Everything else seems tight and good. I am very mechanically inclined and can rebuild or set up anything that I'd need to. I've done frame off restorations on a 78 and an 84 k10. No shop has ever touched my vehicles as I like to learn how to do it myself. I've done everything from full paint jobs to rebuilding motors.

I just need some insight as I am still learning about both my corvettes and how they're set up.

Thank you you guys for being so helpful in this process.

Could the bushings in the trailing arms be causing the back and fourth movement?
Im sure someone will chime in about having 1/2" yoke in/out play. In other threads people are concerned with 1/8" of play, You have .500 thousandths
Old 05-15-2017, 12:10 PM
Wee
Drifting

Good point about checking the yoke end play....make sure to check it with a dial indicator....It's amazing how 1/8" can feel like a mile. Also even if the end play is OK it's still a good time to drop the differential if any of the seals are leaking and paint it before putting it back in.

Brian

Get notified of new replies

To drivetrain clunk

Quick Reply: drivetrain clunk