C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Blowby

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 10:31 AM
JimT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Oil Blowby

I have been working with a minor oil blowby issue for some time. I've experimented with pcv routing, swapping sides on valve covers, etc to no avail. Today I removed the pcv valve and installed "breathers" on both valve covers, plugged the carb input, and started the engine. I immediately noticed small puffs of smoke coming from the right (passenger side) bank. The smoke is barely noticeable and it only comes from the right bank.
Does this sound like a ring issue, or, valve leaking?
Car is a 72 Stingray with a rebuilt 350 out of a 1973 vehicle, Engine codeV0620AJF- 1973 350, 155hp 2bbl. I don't know who built it and what has been done but it does run strong. It has 4bbl Qjet carb.
Any ideas?
Old 05-14-2017, 10:45 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Blowby is a ring seal related issue. If it's not horrible you could just get a catch can (oil seperator) and put it between the PCV valve and the carb on the left side and it will catch much of the oil instead of reintroducing it in the intake. The best arrangement for the right side is to have it go into the air cleaner.
Vents are going to make a mess under your hood.

When using the PCV on the left the vent on the right becomes an intake for air into the crankcase. When you go WOT the vent on the right side is no longer going to be sucking and is going to be blowing. It would preferable to be venting into the air cleaner vs venting out onto the engine and under the hood.

Oil burning can be caused by worn out valve guide seals as well, but it sounds like you didn't see smoke until you removed the PCV system.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:49 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Jim,
Might this help?
Here's a pretty simplified illustration that shows what happens to 'blow by' when the engine has an operating pcv valve and crankcase breather.
Since you have neither now, you're seeing the blow by.
Regards,
Alan

Old 05-14-2017, 11:12 AM
JimT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Jim,
Might this help?
Here's a pretty simplified illustration that shows what happens to 'blow by' when the engine has an operating pcv valve and crankcase breather.
Since you have neither now, you're seeing the blow by.
Regards,
Alan

My engine is plumbed just like your diagram, with the exception of the filtered air intake - I was just using a valve cover filter. But I have noticed for some time that the filter would get dirty/oily in a short period.
I need to do more diagnosis here, and maybe check valve seals, etc.
Thanks
Old 05-14-2017, 12:28 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

I am having a similar issue. I think my problem is aftermarket valve covers that have PCV oil baffles, but they dont seem to help much.

Others have said that the part number of the valve (how much it actually sucks) can have a big effect too...
Old 05-15-2017, 04:43 PM
JimT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JimT
My engine is plumbed just like your diagram, with the exception of the filtered air intake - I was just using a valve cover filter. But I have noticed for some time that the filter would get dirty/oily in a short period.
I need to do more diagnosis here, and maybe check valve seals, etc.
Thanks
My car was plumbed just like your diagram, however, my pcv valve was installed on the passenger side and the vent on the drivers side. I swapped them to match your diagram exactly, and have not noticed any more wisps of smoke from the vent (passenger side). I'll monitor this for a while..
Thanks..
Old 05-15-2017, 05:15 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Jim,
Great!
Regards,
Alan

Does what side the pcv valve should be on depend on whether the crankshaft rotates clockwise or counter clockwise????

Last edited by Alan 71; 05-15-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:54 PM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Jim,
Great!
Regards,
Alan

Does what side the pcv valve should be on depend on whether the crankshaft rotates clockwise or counter clockwise????
None whatsoever. It has more to do with convention for that manufacturer than anything else. You have a Ford, you'll find the PCV on the passenger side valve cover. And unless this is one out of a dual-engine marine application, the norm is clockwise rotation.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:12 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,130 Likes on 733 Posts

Most PCV valves allow too much air flow as compared to the originals.

There are a few good articles on the PCV valves. I learned a lot on my 85 - worked engine that fouled the #7 plug but had good heads and rings. I ran Pontiac when younger and the PCV was taken from the CAM / LIFTER VALLEY via a hole behind / under the carb - less chance of fouling. Pontiac always has an air gap manifold as OEM.

After I restricted the PCV system the fouling stopped. I will eventually get a proper adjustable PCV valve ..

The PCV is just there to "capture oil vapors and unburnt gasses" from exiting the engine into the atmosphere. Sometimes they wind up sucking oil from the valve cover and foul the plugs.. The older engines exited the gasses to the rear of the engine via a tube pointed toward the ground. Not good for the air or following cars in the rain....

Last edited by BLUE1972; 05-16-2017 at 10:34 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Blowby

Quick Reply: Oil Blowby