C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Tale of 3 "NEW" Ignition Coils

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 07:55 PM
sunflower 1972
Drifting

Received 537 Likes on 363 Posts
Default A Tale of 3 "NEW" Ignition Coils

I've been chasing a random and extremely intermittent engine popping under hard acceleration in the 3000 to 4000 rpm range ever since I installed a new intake manifold and MSD Blaster 2 coil about a year ago. Drove it all summer and fall until I started on my winter project of replacing the original heads with some Edelbrock aluminum heads. Finally got it running and running good about a month ago, hoping in some way the old heads were contributing in some way to the random popping. No such luck. Rechecked timing and dwell, all good. Searching this and other forums, found others having the same issue and discovered ignition coils breaking down. So, I bought 3 new coils. A new MSD, an Acell,(matched the color of my C3), and a Delco U505. Installed the Acell this morning, no start. Checked connections, still no start. No problem, I have the NEW MSD. Installed that one, STILL no start. Installed the old MSD, fired right up. OK, well I can't drive and test it out for the popping with THAT one, because that's the one that I suspect is causing the problem. Take that one out and put in the new stock Delco unit and go for a test drive BINGO, no more popping! Just nice smooth pulling power thru the entire RPM range. Now, just need to regap the plugs back to .035 and enjoy driving it. AND, I'll be returning the "NEW" coils tomorrow.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:03 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by sunflower 1972
I've been chasing a random and extremely intermittent engine popping under hard acceleration in the 3000 to 4000 rpm range ever since I installed a new intake manifold and MSD Blaster 2 coil about a year ago. Drove it all summer and fall until I started on my winter project of replacing the original heads with some Edelbrock aluminum heads. Finally got it running and running good about a month ago, hoping in some way the old heads were contributing in some way to the random popping. No such luck. Rechecked timing and dwell, all good. Searching this and other forums, found others having the same issue and discovered ignition coils breaking down. So, I bought 3 new coils. A new MSD, an Acell,(matched the color of my C3), and a Delco U505. Installed the Acell this morning, no start. Checked connections, still no start. No problem, I have the NEW MSD. Installed that one, STILL no start. Installed the old MSD, fired right up. OK, well I can't drive and test it out for the popping with THAT one, because that's the one that I suspect is causing the problem. Take that one out and put in the new stock Delco unit and go for a test drive BINGO, no more popping! Just nice smooth pulling power thru the entire RPM range. Now, just need to regap the plugs back to .035 and enjoy driving it. AND, I'll be returning the "NEW" coils tomorrow.
Yep. The latest batch of Blaster 2 coils are absolute crap. They leak, they fail, they get hot, they cause headaches.
Good old stock Delco coils are still the best. ZERO gain from "performance" coils. HEI is the only upgrade, but no performance gain, just reliability from point free operation.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:08 PM
sunflower 1972
Drifting

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
Yep. The latest batch of Blaster 2 coils are absolute crap. They leak, they fail, they get hot, they cause headaches.
Good old stock Delco coils are still the best. ZERO gain from "performance" coils. HEI is the only upgrade, but no performance gain, just reliability from point free operation.
Big2Bird, you are right. And I should have known better in this day and age, being in the GM parts business at the dealership level for 45 years. But, even I get sucked in at times by the marketing and hype.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:23 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Is it possible that the new after market coils require a full 12 volts unlike the original which uses the reduced voltage supplied by the ignition resistor wire on the early C3's?
Old 05-22-2017, 08:03 PM
sunflower 1972
Drifting

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
Is it possible that the new after market coils require a full 12 volts unlike the original which uses the reduced voltage supplied by the ignition resistor wire on the early C3's?

That doesn't make sense because the engine ran pretty good with the MSD Blaster 2 that I installed last year. Just the random popping. I'm just AMAZED that TWO BRAND NEW COILS from TWO DIFFERENT COMPANIES were defective RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX! But, perhaps I expect too much. After all, it's 2017, not 1977.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:20 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,130 Likes on 733 Posts

I'm not supprised,

the child building coils in ****-BONG China just slaps on the label for the current order. They are all the same crap..
Old 05-22-2017, 10:15 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
All coils use 12 volts. The resistor wire limits the current to 4 amperes.
There is an ignition stickey at the top that will explain it in greater detail.
The following users liked this post:
CanadaGrant (05-22-2017)
Old 04-27-2018, 08:21 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

I had a lot of issues with coils until I put in the MSD high vibration one. I belive they are built in a different place from the other blaster 2 coils. They use epoxy so you dont have to worry about oil leaking out.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:48 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 807 Posts

Been there, done that. Aftermarket coil installed came with occasional intermittent engine misfiring. Put the original antique Delco coil back in and never had a hiccup after that. The HEI is a solid piece that just needs a recurve. NEVER AGAIN!
Old 04-27-2018, 09:58 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Sigforty
I had a lot of issues with coils until I put in the MSD high vibration one. I belive they are built in a different place from the other blaster 2 coils. They use epoxy so you dont have to worry about oil leaking out.
I had one of those fail about 2 weeks after install last year. I put the 15+ year old blaster 2 (that I replaced purely as a preemptive measure given its age) back in and all was good. I swapped the warranty replacement high vibration coil into the car about a month and a half back and haven't driven it a lot since, but last time I drove it it was breaking up at higher rpm and load. I'd put that down to running rich due to an exhaust leak (which it is), but perhaps I should check swapping the old coil back in...
Old 04-27-2018, 12:50 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

I was looking at LS coils and aftermarket LS ignition coils and the aftermarket ones still have huge quality control issues, until you get into the really expensive ones made like 20+ lbs of boost the GM Delcos seem to be the way to go.

Went with a set of LS3 generation truck coil takeoffs from Ebay: $125 for 8 coils, bracket, and wiring harness- no plug wires & lots of rust.

Adam

Last edited by NewbVetteGuy; 04-27-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:39 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,331 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Not all ignition coils àre created equal the super magnetic core makes superior. I bought these back when they were made by crane cams. FAST seems to have bought the product because they saw the superior design

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fst-730-0291
Old 04-27-2018, 02:59 PM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Aftermarket manufacturers don't have to adhere to the same stringent specs as the OEMs so their reliability is all over the map.
Unless the OEM parts can't support your particular build, I'd stick with them.
Just my .02
Old 04-27-2018, 03:48 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gkull
Not all ignition coils àre created equal the super magnetic core makes superior. I bought these back when they were made by crane cams. FAST seems to have bought the product because they saw the superior design

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fst-730-0291
What is a super magnetic core?
Old 04-27-2018, 04:13 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

All coils use 12 volts. The resistor wire limits the current to 4 amperes.
There is an ignition stickey at the top that will explain it in greater detail.
yes and no... the resistor makes what is called a voltage divider circuit, in doing so, yes the VOLTAGE is DROPPED on the point side of the wire. And yes, of course this limits current and current is a calculation of voltage and resistance,
V=I*R
Old 04-27-2018, 04:22 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 772 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by pauldana
yes and no... the resistor makes what is called a voltage divider circuit, in doing so, yes the VOLTAGE is DROPPED on the point side of the wire. And yes, of course this limits current and current is a calculation of voltage and resistance,
V=I*R
What's the voltage at the coil C+ terminal at the start of dwell?
Old 04-27-2018, 04:53 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,331 Likes on 1,059 Posts

What is a super magnetic core?
When the Crane Cams ignition coils first came out one of the car rags did an article on the use of Super Strong Rare Earth Neodymium Magnets. it vastly decreases charge and discharge time. Less heat production....... they aren't even oil filled to conduct the heat away. Just a great compact coil.

They work really well in high powered multi spark ignition systems or even your mild stock motor.

Get notified of new replies

To A Tale of 3 "NEW" Ignition Coils

Old 04-27-2018, 06:03 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by 69427
What's the voltage at the coil C+ terminal at the start of dwell?
Before the points close it will be 12v~ once the points close and a load is produced the voltage divider circuit functions and there is an instant drop in voltage... this is how a voltage divider circuit works

I understand how you see this...
I was an electricteonics engineer for well over 20 years
EE CSUN

Last edited by pauldana; 04-27-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:44 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Before the points close it will be 12v~ once the points close and a load is produced the voltage divider circuit functions and there is an instant drop in voltage... this is how a voltage divider circuit works

EE CSUN
The thing Mike and I convey is that in the Kettering ignition system, the ballast is there to control the amperage, not the voltage, which is why when "they" read the voltage after the coil is charged, it's kinda irrelevant.
My Sun machine has an ammeter and a volt meter, and a variable ballast resistor. I close the points and set the resistor to 4 amperes.
If I run the distributor, the amperage drops to 2 amperes, because the meter can't keep up, and reads an average of 2 amperes, but it's really pulses of 4 amperes.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:45 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 772 Likes on 554 Posts

EE CSUN
Paul, I'm in no way trying to appear disrespectful to a fellow electrical engineer, but the bolded part above is wrong. An ignition coil is an inductor, not a simple resistor. Freshman circuits class says that the current through a resistor can change "in an instant", but the current through an inductor does not and cannot. When the points close, or the transistor turns on, the entire supply voltage (12v in this case) is impressed upon the coil (inductor). There is no instantaneous current flow through an inductor, so there's no IR drop across any circuit ballasting resistance at the start of dwell.

The ballast resistor limits the peak current through the coil and points, but it does not limit the peak voltage that the coil and points see.

EE UI

Quick Reply: A Tale of 3 "NEW" Ignition Coils