C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension upgrade Shark bite or ride tech??

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 09:13 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

From what I understand, the dragvette setup is designed to have no camber change in bump - good for drag racing but not ideal for handling. I do agree that taking the suspension load off the halfshaft is a good idea though.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:15 AM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 771 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by terrys6t8roadster
The thing I like about the 'Dragvette' is the wheels travel in a vertical movement versus the arch movement of the stock C3 suspension. With the spring and shock disconnected and the upper and lower hiem rods adjusted correctly the diff stub axel only moves about 1/16 of an inch in and out through the entire travel of the suspension. No need for those I don't know why they are there C-clips inside the diff. T
As Metalhead mentioned, vertical suspension movement is only useful in drag racing. For cornering, the tire has to move in an arc to offset the frame lean in order to keep the tires vertical compared to the ground.

There's a very good reason that no production sportscar has a suspension that restricts the tires to vertical movement relative to the frame.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:40 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Knowledge is power

Given that different corners of the performance envelope - and how far into that selected one wishes to venture - typically require a somewhat tailored setup approach, I highly suggest 1) narrowing down what type of tracking/spirited driving it is that you most often intend on doing, 2) determining how much of a priority is such performance in the big picture, and 3) deciding how much homework you're willing to put in.

For example, the subject of rear camber gain having come up, whether and how much is optimal depends on the particular purpose (drag, AX, RR...) and key variables (power level, tires, conditions...) at hand. While eliminating rear camber gain altogether during suspension travel is highly recommended at the strip, and although reducing it to a lesser amount than was originally designed back during bias-ply days is often a good call, retaining some amount of gain is going to be preferable in most circumstances. ...else, your rear outside tire is going to lean over as much as the car rolls when cornering. But, I digress...

There are many other such nuances of chassis tuning about which little can be gleaned from product ad copy, and not everything worth addressing necessarily comes in a box. Long story short: If one truly hopes to achieve handling nirvana, best IMHO to view any aftermarket suspension kit as offering a baseline from which to work. Choosing wisely will, of course, put you closer to your ultimate goals. My $.02

The following users liked this post:
Metalhead140 (05-24-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 11:08 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by 69427
As Metalhead mentioned, vertical suspension movement is only useful in drag racing. For cornering, the tire has to move in an arc to offset the frame lean in order to keep the tires vertical compared to the ground.

There's a very good reason that no production sportscar has a suspension that restricts the tires to vertical movement relative to the frame.
My initial rear camber setting is between 1.5-2 degrees of negative caster, depending on which track I'm at, so the tires are only vertical to the ground when under very heavy cornering created by body roll and yes the outside edge of the 12" slicks I run wear out faster than the inside. But that's the cost of tracking. T
Old 05-25-2017, 12:22 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

...and yes the outside edge of the 12" slicks I run wear out faster than the inside...
I highly suggest a tire pyrometer to help you arrive at a far better camber setup than is evidenced above. To get the most applicable data come in as hot as is safe (cool off laps = moot temps) and log readings ASAP, always done in the same order. A probe type is preferable, but an IR gun is beats nothing at all. No flames intended, just trying to help.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:48 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

My initial rear camber setting is between 1.5-2 degrees.................yes the outside edge of the 12" slicks I run wear out faster than the inside. But that's the cost of tracking. T
Really, even with that much camber? Have you altered the rear camber curve or still stock?

I ask because I've made a 1/2" spacer to lower the camber bracket and reduce rear camber gain, but have not installed it yet.

Last edited by 69autoXr; 05-25-2017 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:12 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by 69autoXr
Really, even with that much camber? Have you altered the rear camber curve or still stock?

I ask because I've made a 1/2" spacer to lower the camber bracket and reduce rear camber gain, but have not installed it yet.
So.... out of curiosity, would you care to share your suspension with us?
Old 05-25-2017, 06:14 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jim2527
So.... out of curiosity, would you care to share your suspension with us?
Nothing fancy, stock configuration with stiff springs and Koni single adjustables. Poly control arm bushings, heim joint camber rods.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:27 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by 69autoXr

I am running Dragvette 6-link set up that restricts any camber gain, as Skunk works mentioned scrubbing off outside edge of tire there fore the higher initial camber settings. Seems to work good for me. At Road America 4.1 mi track I'm running laps at 2min 41sec, which is averaging 1.7 miles per minute, at the Milw Mile 1.8 mile road track my times are 1min 21sec averaging 1.49 miles per minute, As in comparison a 911 Carrera turbo was running 1min 17 secs. An Audi R10 was running 1min 18secs. Lets see Audi $170k, Porsche $85k, 6t8 $30k. I'm pleased with my 6t8 vette. T
Old 05-26-2017, 07:03 AM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Oh ok. I wasn't sure if you had the Dragvette installed or if you were just commenting on the design. Now I understand.

thanks
Old 05-26-2017, 05:17 PM
Crimson Thunder
Burning Brakes

Received 445 Likes on 273 Posts

Has anyone figured out how to use the factory brakes with the RideTech spindles yet?
Old 05-26-2017, 05:18 PM
73racevette
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts

Would need to fab up a custom bracket. If you did this, they should bolt right on.

Quick Reply: Suspension upgrade Shark bite or ride tech??