C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another LS transplant question - Carb look and EFI

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 10:33 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,139 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingray Man
Yeah, it's a bit of a paradox. It's really more a tribute to the L88s outward appearance and great power. I had originally planned on using a big block, but then I thought about how heavy BBCs are and how huge they are in that engine bay and the potential for overheating, etc.,

The LS just seemed to make more sense. I do still want to have at least some semblance of old school appearance (carb) and get rid of that butt-ugly LS intake system.
There was an aluminum L88 crate engine available for a while from GM. They built 427 of them. If you can find one, they are only $20K or so and you could build a ZL-1 tribute!

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/vem...1-crate-motor/

Last edited by ignatz; 06-15-2017 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:31 AM
77Blue
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ignatz, I was planning for the LS327 and carb. When I told my wife that she said I was nuts and wouldn't be happy if it didn't have the same or higher H.P. then what's in my C6. Who would have thunk it ... I wound up getting such a good deal on a Connect & Cruise package LS376/485 & 4L70 I couldn't pass up the SFI.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:20 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 77Blue
ignatz, I was planning for the LS327 and carb. When I told my wife that she said I was nuts and wouldn't be happy if it didn't have the same or higher H.P. then what's in my C6. Who would have thunk it
You have a good woman there.

Looking back, I did my swap in 2011 when some of those motors were still available. I really thought it over but in the end couldn't swing it in my mind. I bought a $7000 motor and a lot of this and that to make it work. It would not have come up to $20K but if time is money it would have been pretty close.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:09 PM
Patro46
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I haven't been able to find much on this particular question, so here goes. I'd like to plan an LS transplant in a '69 (to go along with a 5 or 6 speed transplant as well). I like the LS376 with over 500 hp. So.... I like the idea of fuel injection, but the LS engines are just not attractive in stock fuel injected form - and the air intake situation is ugly. So I want to go with the carbureter look. Plus, I want to install an L88 hood and it would look better to have a carbureter look under there.

What about buying the LS376 crate engine carbureted version and then installing a Pro Flo throttle body fuel injection system or some other EFI that mounts like a carb? I noticed the carb versions of the LS crate motors come with an ignition controller module. Can that work in conjunction with the aftermarket EFI harness?

Still in the planning phases here, so any input is welcome.
What you mean ugly? Anytime I hear of an LS swap and a carburator....I just have to roll my eyes in 360's.
Now, about the carb.... What you gonna do about the IAT's? Ignore them?

Old 06-16-2017, 01:22 PM
Patro46
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Patro46
What you mean ugly? Anytime I hear of an LS swap and a carburator....I just have to roll my eyes in 360's.
Now, about the carb.... What you gonna do about the IAT's? Ignore them?
Yes. It fits under the hood
Old 06-16-2017, 02:21 PM
73TexasVette
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ignatz
Hey cv, I disagree, it looks purposeful! de gustibus non est disputandum

Here's the painted look

Would I do it again? I wanted a stock looking sleeper and didn't get that. I had to do a lot of extension fiberglassing to get the hood to fit. In the end I'm happy with it and the number of unknowns I would have had to overcome vs. carb was a bit much.

One more thing - the LS adapters push the motor up a bit and that led to driveshaft angle differences that had to be overcome. That is regardless of what induction system you choose. I think someone with some metal fab skills could maybe put the motor down some or hard mount it with a home-brew adapter and get a more conventional hood.
What kind of wheels are those? I love the look!
Old 06-16-2017, 02:41 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 73TexasVette
What kind of wheels are those? I love the look!
Thank you but a number of these posts are getting pretty far away from Stingray's quest to come up with an L88 sort of tribute. I'll PM you.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:04 PM
Stingray Man
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ignatz - I remember GM offering those motors - $20k is quite a bit more than I want to spend for just the motor.

The Connect and Cruise packages that @77Blue mentioned look very attractive, though I would do a 5 speed.

@Patro46 - no personal offense as pertains to appearance. I just think the intake snorkel going off to the side just looks awkward. I guess I'm just old school that way.

Going with the single plane EFI manifold with, say, a Holley EFI throttle body that @SteveG75 mentioned sounds like a good plan. That would allow a carb style air cleaner assembly. I'm going to do some research to make sure it can fit under an L88 hood.

Last edited by Stingray Man; 06-16-2017 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:59 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Yes, o as 2 others (Shark Racer and SteveG75) have already suggested. Start with the GM sequential EFI system and change the intake to use a throttle body so you can mount a carb type breather. You can also relocate the coils so you can install "pretty" valve covers.

Just don't go way backwards by using with an entry level TBI injection system.

Last edited by lionelhutz; 06-16-2017 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:47 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

I have a similar if not the Same hood. Gives plenty of room imop
Attached Images  
Old 06-17-2017, 12:35 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Going with the single plane EFI manifold with, say, a Holley EFI throttle body that @SteveG75 mentioned sounds like a good plan. That would allow a carb style air cleaner assembly. I'm going to do some research to make sure it can fit under an L88 hood.
Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Yes, o as 2 others (Shark Racer and SteveG75) have already suggested. Start with the GM sequential EFI system and change the intake to use a throttle body so you can mount a carb type breather. You can also relocate the coils so you can install "pretty" valve covers.

Just don't go way backwards by using with an entry level TBI injection system.
You're really going backwards by going with a throttle body system. Center mount throttle body intakes will get you the look you want and port EFI.

Look at the Edelbrock Victor Jr as an example.

It will get you a very clean look.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:36 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Here's an example of multi-port w/ a center-mount TB installed:
Old 06-17-2017, 01:27 PM
Stingray Man
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
Here's an example of multi-port w/ a center-mount TB installed:
That is perfect! I like how the coils have been moved as well.

Quick Reply: Another LS transplant question - Carb look and EFI