C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for a new Printed Circuit Board?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 01:27 PM
DVAST8R_88
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Time for a new Printed Circuit Board?

For an '81 Vette.

Thinking about ordering a new one from Wilcox Corvette, but wanted to get opinions before spending more money that I should be buying my children food with.

That said, the initial problem was the water temperature gauge. When you turn the key on, the needle didn't move. Unplugging or grounding the wire and same thing. All of my other gauges work. So, I am thinking the gauge or resistor are fried. I ordered a new one. I put it in yesterday. Still nothing.

During the install, I noticed that the Low Fuel light bulb was missing, so I took the one from the Check Engine spot (no computer anymore on this one.) I also saw that some of the fingers near the top of the PCB were waving around a bit. I thought I got them all lined up and snapped everything into place. The thing looks like it is the original, and seemed pretty fragile, so I was very careful with it.

Today, I go to get some McDonald's (chicken McGriddle for the win!) and my Low Fuel light comes on. My fuel gauge says less than half a tank but more than a quarter. So far it hadn't been wrong, but to be safe I filled her up. Just over 11 gallons go in the tank, so I figure the gauge is correct. For now, I am going to pull that Low Fuel bulb back out. Probably why it was missing in the first place.

Also, with my headlights on, none of my center console gauges light up, and now the clock runs intermittently.

I am leaning towards a PCB replacement to hopefully solve all of those bugs.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Tony

Last edited by DVAST8R_88; 06-18-2017 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Left out a whole sentence.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:19 PM
Antz81
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts

If the copper tracks are coming loose then replace it.
It may or may not solve all of the problems, but better to replace it before something shorts on it causing beigger pissues
Old 06-18-2017, 06:26 PM
DVAST8R_88
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, the copper tracks are loose where the plug goes in. A couple of them look like they have been bent in all kinds of directions before I got the car.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:11 PM
righthanddrive
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

The lowe fuel light needs a module, not just a bulb.

Get notified of new replies

To Time for a new Printed Circuit Board?

Quick Reply: Time for a new Printed Circuit Board?