C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 Parking Brake Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 04:15 PM
Hayes69
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 69 Parking Brake Adjustment

Just got my first C3 (pics to come )and the parking break pulls the cable but doesn't get tight enough to hold the car. In my service manuals it says to rotate the rear discs until the hole lines up with the adjustment screw. The problem I'm having is that when I rotate the rotor, whatever it is behind the hole moves with the rotor.

I'm a car novice, but fairly handy and a quick learner. Hoping this will be a simple job to get started.

Thanks everyone.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:39 PM
Hayes69
Racer

Found this thread: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ustment-3.html

I'm wondering if my brakes are stuck in the "on" position. Guess I need to remove the rotors, but not sure how difficult that will be if the PB is malfunctioning.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:44 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi H,
You need to position the adjustment hole so it's at the 6 o'clock position on the hub.

Insert your screwdriver and feel for the notches in the 'star' adjuster.
When the screwdriver is engaged move your hand and end of the screwdriver up, (away from the floor,) this rotates the 'star' and adjusts the shoes.

Tighten until the rotor will not move and then 'back-off' 6-8 notches.

Hope that the shoes aren't 'frozen' in place.
Regards,
Alan

Rotate until hole is at the bottom.

Rotor removed so you can see the shoes and adjuster.

Shoes at top.

Adjustment at bottom… rotate 'star' so it turns counter-clockwise.

Last edited by Alan 71; 06-22-2017 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:52 PM
Hayes69
Racer

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi H,
You need to position the adjustment hole so it's at the 6 o'clock position on the hub.

Insert your screwdriver and feel for the notches in the 'star' adjuster.
When the screwdriver is engaged move your hand and end of the screwdriver up, (away from the floor,) this rotates the 'star' and adjusts the shoes.

Tighten until the rotor will not move and then 'back-off' 6-8 notches.

Hope that the shoes aren't 'frozen' in place.
Regards,
Alan
Alan, great pictures as always! The problem I'm having is whatever is behind the adjustment hole (sorry not sure what you call that... hub?) it rotates with the rotor so there is no adjustment screw that shows.

Last edited by Hayes69; 06-22-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:19 PM
Hayes69
Racer

After giving this some more thought, I'm wondering if this rotor was not put back on correctly to line up with the hole behind it. In which case I'll have to remove the calipers and rotor, reinstall the rotor in the correct alignment, then adjust the screw. Does that sound right?

I read in the other thread that I should put the rotor on back the same way I took it off. In this case would it cause any problems to put it back on in such a way that the holes align?

Thanks
Old 06-22-2017, 05:50 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Hayes00
After giving this some more thought, I'm wondering if this rotor was not put back on correctly to line up with the hole behind it. In which case I'll have to remove the calipers and rotor, reinstall the rotor in the correct alignment, then adjust the screw. Does that sound right?

I read in the other thread that I should put the rotor on back the same way I took it off. In this case would it cause any problems to put it back on in such a way that the holes align?

Thanks
The rotors, when the car comes from the factory, has it's rotors riveted to the hubs. In your picture, there are a few "extra" holes visible, these are where the rivets once resided. SO, yes, your rotors have been removed in the past. THEORETICALLY, the rotors are riveted in place, are the run-out SHOULD be within tolerance.

In your case, I'd rotate the rotors in respect to the hubs, so you can access the adjustment hole, then use a dial indicator to check the run-out. Hopefully, you'll be within spec, which I believe is about 0.002-0.005"....or less.
The following users liked this post:
Hayes69 (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 09:16 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
I agree with lf4 that the rotor needs to be pulled off and clocked properly on the hub so the holes line up.
Regards,
Alan

This is the surface being seen in your photo. (concentric machining rings).
The paint stripe on the rotor and hub indicate where the rotor needs to be placed on the hub to minimize run-out.
The following users liked this post:
Hayes69 (06-23-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To 69 Parking Brake Adjustment

Quick Reply: 69 Parking Brake Adjustment