C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excessive current draw indication on ammeter.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 08:40 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Your ammeter is now working exactly as it should...with a good battery. Anytime a high discharge occurs (after start, electric fan usage at idle condition, etc), the ammeter needle will immediately show the 'spike' of the current surge; then the alternator will respond to recharge the battery to a 'full' condition [needle moves back to zero mark]. If the rate of recovery becomes longer, it indicates that the battery can't be recharged as quickly. However, if the needle returns to the zero mark too quickly, it can indicate that the battery has little ability to take a recharge and needs replacement.

Proper "reading" of the ammeter takes some experience and background knowledge on how it should behave. I'm sure you can find lots of info on the web about how best to utilize an automotive ammeter.
I'm an electronics engineer and an extensive background with electricity so reading an ammeter is not a problem for me. Thanks for the info though, hope it helps others.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:45 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

We can only hope --

Quick Reply: Excessive current draw indication on ammeter.