C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'82 electrical issue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 11:12 AM
ESU
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default '82 electrical issue?

Gents, have an 82, 63k original miles mostly non bubba'd. Last week went out to a local car gathering and it ran great, no issues. 3 weeks ago I re-installed the original Delco radio after having it re-furbed. Also installed original style 8-10 ohm speakers to go with it. Anyway, went to take it out of the garage today cause it needed an inspection. Put the key in and turned it and zippo. No cranking no nothing not even a click. Thought maybe dead battery even though I keep a tender on it so I broke out the charger and its not really taking a charge. Thought the meter would be pegged but its not. I have no interior dome lamp, no radio, no key buzzer, no horn, no fan. The light under the hood works, very bright, and the exterior lights work. I checked as many fuses as I can reach, basically only the top 2 I cant and they are good. SInce the only thing Ive done in the last 2 years has been the radio I'm leaning towards some issue with that, some kind of drain? But it has been in 3 weeks as I said. I'm totally confused, any thoughts?

Last edited by ESU; 07-15-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:59 AM
ESU
Drifting

correction, no exterior marker lights, just headlights. Also found a 30 amp fuse coming off the battery terminal going to the ECm maybe and that was good.....

Last edited by ESU; 07-15-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:02 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

If you have bright lights, your battery isn't dead. It sounds like the power wire coming off the starter has broken contact. You have your positive cable coming from the battery and then you'll have a heavy gauge wire coming from the same post. That's the one you want to check.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:10 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Starter Extension-- Right side of the distributor on the firewall. 6 way connector. All the power for the car and the starter run thru it.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:00 AM
ESU
Drifting

Looked at a picture of this item, looks like fusible links? also I looked and I'll be dammed if I see it. By right side you mean passenger side? Might be under a plastic housing if that's the case.

Last edited by ESU; 07-16-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:39 PM
ESU
Drifting

Originally Posted by TimAT
Starter Extension-- Right side of the distributor on the firewall. 6 way connector. All the power for the car and the starter run thru it.
Located it, jiggled it a little and everything started buzzing and beeping, car started right up. Guess I'll start with ordering the part and go from there. thx again,,,

Get notified of new replies

To '82 electrical issue?

Quick Reply: '82 electrical issue?