C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

74 Seat Belt Light Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 04:03 PM
psykod
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 74 Seat Belt Light Question

Can someone tell me when the seat belt light and/or buzzer should be on? I would think it would come on when I turn the key on without my belt latched. However, it only comes on when I turn the ignition to 'start'. At that point, the light activates (Unless I latch the belt), but I still don't hear the buzzer (It's probably dead so I'm not too concerned with it).

I know it's useless but I would like it to function anyway.

Last edited by psykod; 07-17-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:42 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,598 Posts

GENERAL INFORMATION 1972-73 Vehicles
The seat belt warning system consists of lap belt retractor switches, a pressure-sensitive switch underneath the right-hand front passenger's seat, a warning lamp and a buzzer.

On manual transmission-equipped cars, the circuit is wired through the ignition switch, the parking brake warning light switch, and a relay, which is located between the instrument cluster wiring and the switch on the parking brake. A diode is used to prevent feedback into the parking brake warning circuit.

On cars having automatic transmissions, the seat belt warning circuit is wired trough the ignition switch and the combination back-up lamp/neutral safety switch.

With the ignition key in the RUN position, a weight of 40-50 lbs. on the driver's or passenger's seat pressure-sensitive switch) energizes the circuit when the parking brake is released (M/T) or the gear selector placed in a forward drive range (A/T).

A warning light will glow and a buzzer will sound with the circuit energized, unless the seat belts are withdrawn from the retractors and fastened over the laps of the two outboard front seat occupants.

DISABLING THE INTERLOCK SYSTEM
Since the requirement for the interlock system was dropped during the 1975 model year, these systems may now be legally disabled. The seat warning light is still required.

Disconnect the battery ground cable.
Locate the interlock harness connector under the left-side of the instrument panel on or near the fuse block. It has orange, yellow, and green leads.
Cut and tape the ends of the green wire on the body side of the connector.
Remove the buzzer from the fuse block or connector.
Reconnect the battery ground cable.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:48 PM
psykod
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MelWff
GENERAL INFORMATION 1972-73 Vehicles
The seat belt warning system consists of lap belt retractor switches, a pressure-sensitive switch underneath the right-hand front passenger's seat, a warning lamp and a buzzer.

On manual transmission-equipped cars, the circuit is wired through the ignition switch, the parking brake warning light switch, and a relay, which is located between the instrument cluster wiring and the switch on the parking brake. A diode is used to prevent feedback into the parking brake warning circuit.

On cars having automatic transmissions, the seat belt warning circuit is wired trough the ignition switch and the combination back-up lamp/neutral safety switch.

With the ignition key in the RUN position, a weight of 40-50 lbs. on the driver's or passenger's seat pressure-sensitive switch) energizes the circuit when the parking brake is released (M/T) or the gear selector placed in a forward drive range (A/T).

A warning light will glow and a buzzer will sound with the circuit energized, unless the seat belts are withdrawn from the retractors and fastened over the laps of the two outboard front seat occupants.

DISABLING THE INTERLOCK SYSTEM
Since the requirement for the interlock system was dropped during the 1975 model year, these systems may now be legally disabled. The seat warning light is still required.

Disconnect the battery ground cable.
Locate the interlock harness connector under the left-side of the instrument panel on or near the fuse block. It has orange, yellow, and green leads.
Cut and tape the ends of the green wire on the body side of the connector.
Remove the buzzer from the fuse block or connector.
Reconnect the battery ground cable.
Thanks...It's odd that mine only works in the 'Start' position...I guess I have more troubleshooting to do.

Last edited by psykod; 07-18-2017 at 04:49 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 74 Seat Belt Light Question

Quick Reply: 74 Seat Belt Light Question