C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this???????

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 09:07 AM
V8forlife
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this???????

Greetings

new member here and hopefully will be able to join the owners club sooner than later

my name is Prince,im from UK and I've been living in dubai for 2 years now.....

Few days ago i visited a friends showroom in the used car market with the intention to buy a used CL63 AMG and perhaps even purchase it,as I've been looking for one with the right options and packages for months now.anyways long story shortened.i went there,looked it and on my way out i saw a sleek looking black car eating dust and dirt with all the old MINIs and chevys in the showroom backyard.i got closer to the car and i was completely blown away by this car's beauty.i know im a brit but I've always liked american cars more (i could get hanged for saying this back home )but i never thought a corvette could be this sexy.not that i mean the new ones are not,its just that they're not that impressive compared to they're rivals.this one though,the timeless design,the sophistication of the car's body lines and aerodynamics and the simplicity of the core and soul,i never saw anything like it.and i was even more impressed when the salesman told me the car is 69 model!!!!!

anyways i stared at the car for a good 10 minutes,took some pictures and went home.
i must say that all the research and looking for a nice mercedes was forgoten and all i could think of was that dusty old corvette.i never even thought about owning a classic car but now i just keep asking myself what was i thinking when i decided to get a CL-class mercedes????that car is for people in my father's age not me.I've spent all my early twenties studying medicine and now that im having a small break i want to live a little bit.so i decided to go with the corvette.
So i started doing my homework on it and did all the research about the year models,etc....

but the weird thing was that when i looked it up on the internet,the front end was quite different on the stock cars so i digged even deeper with the hope that maybe this car is a limited edition or something like that but there was no such thing.

a week later i visited my friend again but the car was sold out

i searched the market for other cars and i found some very nice examples but none of them had that special look in the front.it was exceptionally longer that the average corvette and it kind of reminded me to the first batmobile

so i figured it must've been and aftermarket part.i looked in ebay and every other website you can think of but never found anything like it.

Anyways,today i come to you guys,desperate and with the hope that maybe you guys can recognize the brand or manufacturer because if you guys don't know,no one does.

Here are the pictures i took from the front end.
sorry for the dramatic thread headline.please ask other members to participate too beacause as you might know,threads started by newbies are usually ignored in most other car forums.hopefully its different here

https://m.imgur.com/a/aeHFD
https://m.imgur.com/a/vgXvL
I took this one to compare it to the normal corvette
https://m.imgur.com/a/DirQB

thanks in advance
Old 07-23-2017, 09:37 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi V8,
Welcome!
You're right the black car in your photos has had a customized front clip put on it along with some other body modifications like the rear fender flairs.
Some folks really like custom bodied Corvettes while some folks don't like them at all.
It's all about personal preference.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 07-23-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:44 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

The black one is as the salesman says , a 1969 model coupe , with custom additions .

Last edited by bazza77; 07-23-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:45 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Looks like one of a kind to me. Your best bet is to find out who bought it, and buy it from them.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:08 PM
V8forlife
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
Looks like one of a kind to me. Your best bet is to find out who bought it, and buy it from them.
Oh man
i did ask they said its purchased by a restoration company that are more likely to change the leather on the seats and put it for sale for triple the original price.....i even asked about the previous owner but they said the car was bought in an auction in the US and shipped here.

so what you're saying is that there is some fabrication work on the car and these are not aftermarket parts available for sale?????
Old 07-23-2017, 06:14 PM
V8forlife
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi V8,
Welcome!
You're right the black car in your photos has had a customized front clip put on it along with some other body modifications like the rear fender flairs.
Some folks really like custom bodied Corvettes while some folks don't like them at all.
It's all about personal preference.
Regards,
Alan
thanks alan

By modification you mean that they took the stock front frame/clip and did fabrication work on it or that its built from scratch????

i understand.the car's original look is much cleaner and better but as i said earlier in my post,i like unique and exotic look of it.so as person with much more experience than me,what do you suggest i do to get this look on another corvette?does it worth it?how hard is the process and what kind of skill is needed to reach this level of beauty because i never thought this would be personally modified

Last edited by V8forlife; 07-23-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:38 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

that front on the black is a custom job , cant tell if its a modified clip or a whole new one from here .

Have you googled c3 Mako Shark , that's a custom c3 originally made by GM but has lots of copies around still these days .

If you think you cant get that black one ,then you are looking at finding another in the states and importing it to you and that will be expensive with all the things that could go wrong and could be miss represented , you might find paying for the black one that's already there and can be inspected by you a better , less hassle option. AND its the custom shape you want (love!) so finding another like it will be almost impossible anyway.

BUT be warned , just have a look at all the threads in here especially the one ( what broke on your c3 today ) things that go wrong with these old cars , not trying to talk you out but these old cars have to have regular maintenance on them and still things will break and wear out . Your dream car , for example, has a vacuum problem right now as that headlight should be down in the closed position with the other. If your mechanically minded sure , no problem ,but its a constant thing and is almost considered normal for most everyone on here .

Last edited by bazza77; 07-23-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:40 PM
V8forlife
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by bazza77
that front on the black is a custom job , cant tell if its a modified clip or a whole new one from here .

Have you googled c3 Mako Shark , that's a custom c3 originally made by GM but has lots of copies around still these days .

If you think you cant get that black one ,then you are looking at finding another in the states and importing it to you and that will be expensive with all the things that could go wrong and could be miss represented , you might find paying for the black one that's already there and can be inspected by you a better , less hassle option. AND its the custom shape you want (love!) so finding another like it will be almost impossible anyway.

BUT be warned , just have a look at all the threads in here especially the one ( what broke on your c3 today ) things that go wrong with these old cars , not trying to talk you out but these old cars have to have regular maintenance on them and still things will break and wear out . Your dream car , for example, has a vacuum problem right now as that headlight should be down in the closed position with the other. If your mechanically minded sure , no problem ,but its a constant thing and is almost considered normal for most everyone on here .
yes I've looked at the mako shark style,close but not the same.the black one is sold as i said but i was wondering if there is anyone here who have done some custom job on his cars and can help me out with this.

about the maintenance,i knew these cars need more work and attention than the average modern car but with all the things you said,im having second thoughts about it because im planning on going back to europe and continuing my studies in Vienna and i thought about taking the car with me but with the work you mentioned,it will be really difficult for me to focus on my studies and work on the car.

honestly i don't know Sh*t about car mechanisms and if there is problem with the car im totally relied on mechanics to solve it for me as i don't have the skill nor the time to fix it myself.on the other hand i fell in love with these cars and i really want one.to be more specific,this is like the long awaited vacation for me if you understand what i mean.

i have no problem with a stock looking car but i know most of you gentlemen here know what you're doing and can help me out finding the solution to get my desired look out of these cars.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:20 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

sounds like you have given up on the black one ?

IF you have not , if its gone to a local restoration company trust me its still for sale .

Here's an idea , track it down , go and look at it ,take it for a drive and most importantly ,take a camera and take lots of pics and post them up here .if the company asks why so many pics tell them the truth , you are looking to buy but need back up from say a dozen corvette owners in the states A couple of things will be resolved ,

You might hate driving it , so then you know to forget about it .

It might drive ok but need work ,guys here can help you understand or clarify any problems it has , you don't have to buy it .
But at least you will know what its about , the price doesn't really come into it yet , you are keen but until you actually get in one you cant get the real feel of one at all.

It might be exactly what you dreamed , in that case it could change your life
Old 07-23-2017, 08:30 PM
V8forlife
Heel & Toe

sounds like you have given up on the black one ?

IF you have not , if its gone to a local restoration company trust me its still for sale .

Here's an idea , track it down , go and look at it ,take it for a drive and most importantly ,take a camera and take lots of pics and post them up here .if the company asks why so many pics tell them the truth , you are looking to buy but need back up from say a dozen corvette owners in the states A couple of things will be resolved ,

You might hate driving it , so then you know to forget about it .

It might drive ok but need work ,guys here can help you understand or clarify any problems it has , you don't have to buy it .
But at least you will know what its about , the price doesn't really come into it yet , you are keen but until you actually get in one you cant get the real feel of one at all.

It might be exactly what you dreamed , in that case it could change your life
Oh trust me,if there was hope i would not give up that easy.the company is known for restoring cars and selling them to the most exotic showroom in the country named deals on wheels.last time i heard they restored a C1 and the price tag was over 600k USD.and in case you don't know,the locals are all very rich and have no problem paying double or even triple the deserved price....
Old 07-23-2017, 08:44 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

stay away from it then

maybe take the red one for a drive , at least its a c3
Old 07-24-2017, 05:42 AM
V8forlife
Heel & Toe

stay away from it then

maybe take the red one for a drive , at least its a c3
well based on my research im interested in 68_72.
there are lots of good choices out there but at the moment im just trying to figure out how i can get that front look like the black one.but that was a good idea you mentioned earlier,I'll visit the workshop for taking more pictures and possibly take it for a spin.but its not important really because im not expecting anything from it,I just like the vibe and the energy that this car has.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:53 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Wow,
Thanks for the share,
I dig customs or modded cars like some cats dig their ncrs cars,

I see a very radically modded car there,
The front is extended 8 or 10 inches and peaked a little, i would bet one off,
And no, not mako i have a mako clip, i believe this is longer beaked than a mako kit,

The hood looks like it might have started as an 80 to 82 hood,
The fender tops have 68 69 side fender vents glassed in, yet the side fenders are missing a hole, it has scoops in the sail panels,

The most stunning part is its not really flares as much as a lot of the fenders and quarters have been bubbled out, so to speak when blending the flares, beautiful work,

Skorpion fiberglass did stuff a lot like this but they disappeared in the 80s,
Anyone recall their camaro and firebird can am wide bodies in all the car rags back then?

This is old school styling, even in the most radical modern restro mods we might see flares and scoops but not a front extended like that,

Very sweet car.

Last edited by The13Bats; 07-24-2017 at 05:57 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:01 AM
V8forlife
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by The13Bats

Wow,
Thanks for the share,
I dig customs or modded cars like some cats dig their ncrs cars,

I see a very radically modded car there,
The front is extended 8 or 10 inches and peaked a little, i would bet one off,
And no, not mako i have a mako clip, i believe this is longer beaked than a mako kit,

The hood looks like it might have started as an 80 to 82 hood,
The fender tops have 68 69 side fender vents glassed in, yet the side fenders are missing a hole, it has scoops in the sail panels,

The most stunning part is its not really flares as much as a lot of the fenders and quarters have been bubbled out, so to speak when blending the flares, beautiful work,

Skorpion fiberglass did stuff a lot like this but they disappeared in the 80s,
Anyone recall their camaro and firebird can am wide bodies in all the car rags back then?

This is old school styling, even in the most radical modern restro mods we might see flares and scoops but not a front extended like that,

Very sweet car.
Stop it man

your words just make it sound much more difficult to pull this look off and at same time make me fall in love more and more with this look.

so based on what you're saying,they modified the front end of the stock front clip(its a 1969 car) and crafted it in a way to look sharper and edgier?

so its not built from scatch?

Last edited by V8forlife; 07-24-2017 at 08:02 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To What is this???????

Quick Reply: What is this???????