C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring Issues - close to shooting myself

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 02:18 PM
lsintampa
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wiring Issues - close to shooting myself

1975 - coupe

Replaced all bulbs with new.... chasing down some issues and I'm about at my wits end.

WORKING: illumination bulbs, blinkers, back up lights, hazard lights, lights on warning (if you turn off ign and leave lights on), courtesy lights.

PRESUMED WORKING: headlights, high beams (and indicator).

NOT WORKING:
  1. Parking brake warning
  2. Door ajar warning
  3. Fasten Seat Belts (constantly lit when ign in run position)

Car isn't ready to be started yet - in the middle of a lot of projects, but lights and high beams WERE working before I tore into it.

That said, so was the parking brake warning and door ajar warnings - they "were" working.

Checked all fuses - all good.

Traced the blue wire from the door ajar switches all the way to the bulb and that's good. Both door ajar switches are good. I don't know where to trace the white wire to - so I'm presuming the issue is related.

As to the parking brake warning - that's really odd.

As to the FSB light - IDK if it was that way prior as there was no bulb in the socket... maybe that's a clue from some PO... instead of fixing, just pull the bulb -

Any insights would be appreciated... I just don't know where to go from here.

Thanks,

Len
Old 07-26-2017, 10:55 AM
Grumpy 427
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

These cars are very GROUND dependant. When you move a wire that has been in a single position for the last 40 years, they tend not to like that.. You may have a broken wire at a switch, or a poor ground.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:44 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,741 Likes on 2,957 Posts

You may need to trace each individual wire with an ohm meter, check continuity and check the physical condition of each wire as well. Wires can get pinched or crushed when someone is up under the dash or pulling and replacing parts or components. If you don't have one, purchase a wiring diagram and AIM for your model and year. Keep in mind that a wiring malfunction or modification "anywhere" in the system could effect a complete separate circuit. Have patients, pay attention to wiring color schemes, inspect each connection and connector, then see how much hair you have pulled out in the process. Good luck.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:16 PM
M. Young
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default electrical nirvana

Len,

Don't give up! It took me about a year to finally reach electrical nirvana. I used the AIM, a shop manual and a wiring diagram. I got my diagram from a forum member who, I think has other years. You just have to send him an email: His name is, Emerson Gallup and his email is
papawana@verizon.net.

Good Luck,

Michael
Old 07-26-2017, 01:12 PM
lsintampa
Instructor

Well, turns out that I "jiggled" a connection under the left kick panel (near the fuse box) and the brake warning, headlight warning, and door ajar all started working again.

As to the fasten seat belt being constantly on, that's been an ongoing issue.

I read somewhere that the 75 wiring changed between earlier cars and later cars. I think my 75 falls in the middle somewhere of the production year... so onward through the fog.

Thanks for the tips!
Old 07-26-2017, 05:44 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,741 Likes on 2,957 Posts

Good catch.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:05 PM
Tooch1
Burning Brakes

Received 466 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by lsintampa
Well, turns out that I "jiggled" a connection under the left kick panel (near the fuse box) and the brake warning, headlight warning, and door ajar all started working again.

As to the fasten seat belt being constantly on, that's been an ongoing issue.

I read somewhere that the 75 wiring changed between earlier cars and later cars. I think my 75 falls in the middle somewhere of the production year... so onward through the fog.

Thanks for the tips!
Hello,
Just going out on a limb here! I'm not sure about the 75, but do your seats still have the weight sensitive switch attached to the springs under the seat bottoms? So that when weight is applied to the seat the switch either opens or closes( can't remember which) thus causing the light and buzzer to come on. Here is a picture of it from my passenger seat on my 73. It was only on the passenger seat in 73. Any way my light kept staying on until I checked out this switch. It has to be arched alittle (bowed) so the contact stays open. Then when weight is applied it levels out to turn on the light. You can see the little wire contact in the second photo. That's what you need to adjust to make things work as they should. Trial and error!
Just a suggestion,
Jimmy

PS: This may be moot, if you don't have your original seat belts connected. This switch plugs into the right side belt retractor on the 73-74's.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Tooch1; 07-26-2017 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Added info.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:36 AM
NRAROX
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Probably changed by '75, but in '68 the FSB light was a driver controlled switch that one had to press to turn off. Crazy. Good luck. Maybe a Fogcutter or two will help.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:18 AM
lsintampa
Instructor

I hooked up a relay to the FSB light so that when the driver belt is connected the light will go out.

As to why it was always "ON" - will remain a mystery for some other owner down the road.

I have the functionality that I want for now.

Regarding the switches under the seats - there are NO switches under either seat, and there isn't any indication that they were ever there... IE no signs of them being removed.

Get notified of new replies

To Wiring Issues - close to shooting myself

Quick Reply: Wiring Issues - close to shooting myself