C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Basic Vacuum Leak Diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 03:35 PM
xpoc454
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Basic Vacuum Leak Diagnosis

I would like to isolate every vacuum line from my intake and carb to confirm if I do indeed have a vacuum leak on my 69 427 AC car.
My car originally idled smooth but something has happened and now my idle is rough.

Correct me if I am wrong, but my theory is to block all vacuum lines from the carb and the intake. If this positively effects my rough idle, I can isolate where a leak may be occurring and focus on it. Most likely I have a leak in the general vacuum that does the headlights, wipe cover and anything else but I like to confirm this and see if it is actually the cause of the idle change.

I uploaded a crude diagram of my intake and carb vacuum lines for reference. I believe I have all the vacuum ports covered. 3 ports (2 on carb and 1 on intake) have been plugged from previous owner. I assume they may have to do with smog equipment and the currently non-connected AC.

So, my main question. Does this sound like a reasonable approach for general check for vacuum leaks? If I plug all currently unplugged ports and see a change in the idle, does the actually tell me I have a vacuum leak?

If I remove and plug the vacuum advance hose, will that affect my idle and should I leave it connected and plug the other 3? Im just wondering if this is a logical approach at all.

thanks
jim
Attached Images  
Old 08-10-2017, 03:54 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,598 Posts

your approach sounds good. The line going to the vacuum advance may not have a vacuum signal at idle.
Before you start anything with the hoses, does your idle improve if you partially place your hand over the primary throttle bores? If it does that shows either the carburetor mixture screws are too lean or you have a vacuum leak.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:24 PM
bradleyb66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 108 Posts

If it was me, I'd grab a can of carb cleaner first, and spray it around some of the vacuum fittings and the base of the carb. If it's leaking, the engine will increase RPM or smooth out in relation to the vacuum sucking in carb cleaner. For it to noticeable affect idle, I'd look at the brake booster fitting and around the base of the carb...

If that doesn't find anything, then start disconnecting/plugging vacuum lines one at a time.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:26 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

in addition to what melwff said, I'd:
1. Brake pedal hard or do you hear a hissing noise pushing on the brake pedal? If not, that would rule out that part.
2. disconnect hose at filter and plug and see if that makes a difference.
3. spray carb cleaner at intake to head and see if idle changes
Old 08-11-2017, 12:41 PM
xpoc454
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the info. I will be trying all these tests tonight.

I also was wondering if anyone knew what quadrajet I do have?

It is labeled 7208210 EE
All the pages I can find, seem to indicate a 7 digit code should start with a 70 as this 70 was the code prefix for rochester carbs.

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks
Old 08-11-2017, 06:35 PM
xpoc454
Burning Brakes

Sprayed carb cleaner at base of carburator today and all around the intake. I didn't notice much of a difference. I also plugged the 4 currently connected vacuum lines and it stayed the same.

While doing this I noticed a water pump leak that seems like a failure there so I am going to start a new thread for this problem.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:23 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

be careful when spraying carb cleaner around distributer.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:24 PM
bradleyb66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 108 Posts

So have you checked things like plugs/plug wires, points? All of those could cause a rough idle, but if marginal, could smooth out when you give it more gas...
Old 08-12-2017, 12:08 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Default number

Originally Posted by xpoc454
Thanks for all the info. I will be trying all these tests tonight.

I also was wondering if anyone knew what quadrajet I do have?

It is labeled 7208210 EE
All the pages I can find, seem to indicate a 7 digit code should start with a 70 as this 70 was the code prefix for rochester carbs.

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks
recheck the number I think you reversed something, should start with a 70 not a 72, are you looking in the correct place?
7028210 would be a 1968 Chevrolet Quadrajet manual or auto trani

http://www.carburetion.com/CarbNumbe...Number=7028210

http://www.carburetion.com/quadnumber.htm

Last edited by MelWff; 08-12-2017 at 12:13 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Basic Vacuum Leak Diagnosis

Quick Reply: Basic Vacuum Leak Diagnosis