C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vacuum tank

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 07:12 PM
Taarzaahn
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Vacuum tank

Did check out the vacuumlines today and found in the bottom of the tank it looks like it should be a hose connected there? And also I can turn the bottom maybe 1/2" but no more either to left or right. What is this good for?
Old 08-13-2017, 07:10 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Mikael,
It sounds like you're describing the 'vapor canister' that's located below the vacuum tank.
IT, has a plastic pipe on it's bottom cover that acts as a drain. It doesn't have anything attached to it.

The bottom cover can be 'popped' off using a small screwdriver blade. As you discovered, it doesn't unscrew.

With that cover is removed you should find a flat ' pancake filter' that can be replaced if it begins to have too much off a gas smell.
Regards,
Alan

Is this it?
Some years have a short 'extension hose' on the pipe.

The following users liked this post:
Taarzaahn (08-13-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 03:53 PM
Taarzaahn
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Mikael,
It sounds like you're describing the 'vapor canister' that's located below the vacuum tank.
IT, has a plastic pipe on it's bottom cover that acts as a drain. It doesn't have anything attached to it.

The bottom cover can be 'popped' off using a small screwdriver blade. As you discovered, it doesn't unscrew.

With that cover is removed you should find a flat ' pancake filter' that can be replaced if it begins to have too much off a gas smell.
Regards,
Alan

Is this it?
Some years have a short 'extension hose' on the pipe.

I didnt know there was a vapor canister on my car and there are no vacuum tank then, nothing between the washerwatercontainer and this canister!
I notice the tube in front have 2 vacuumhoses connected so I thought this was the vacuumtank. I wonder what happen to the originalvacuumtank then?
Old 08-13-2017, 04:25 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi T,
Now I'm confused.
Are you looking at the windshield wiper fluid reservoir?
The vapor canister was mounted low on the rear side of the driver's side font wheel apron.
Is that where you're looking for it?
Regards,
Alan
Old 08-13-2017, 04:57 PM
Taarzaahn
Instructor

Hi T,
Now I'm confused.
Are you looking at the windshield wiper fluid reservoir?
The vapor canister was mounted low on the rear side of the driver's side font wheel apron.
Is that where you're looking for it?
Regards,
Alan
Thats what confused me since the vacuumchart say the tank should be under the water reservoir but what I thought was the vaccumtank was the vapor canister. So the only vacuumtank is the tube in front? Acting like a reinforcement between left and right frame?

Last edited by Taarzaahn; 08-13-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 05:42 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi T,
Yes.
The storage tank for the headlight vacuum system is in the front of the car and is an integral part of the front bumper extension.
The vapor canister is located low on the rear of the driver's side apron.
Regards,
Alan
Old 08-15-2017, 04:14 AM
Taarzaahn
Instructor

Hi T,
Yes.
The storage tank for the headlight vacuum system is in the front of the car and is an integral part of the front bumper extension.
The vapor canister is located low on the rear of the driver's side apron.
Regards,
Alan
You seems to know Vettes inside out. This is my second only and my first was a 65 conv that I sold 1974 (yes I am an idiot so hit me)
The recent one tought me a lot because it has been missused the past 20 years very badly but give me a year or 2 and it will be back to glory again.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:58 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi,
I really ONLY know a LOT about ONE car, and actually very little about any others!

It's quite a challenge but also quite satisfying to restore a car that's been misused for so many years.
I hope things go well!
Regards,
Alan

Get notified of new replies

To Vacuum tank

Quick Reply: Vacuum tank