C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My NEW and improved 383 CFI build

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 09:55 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,005 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Ca
Great thread, how did it go
See PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:40 AM
rogcjr
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Results

Originally Posted by Buccaneer
See PM.
Awesome build!! Just want I want to do to mine,
Very interested in your results also.
Planning my future engine build, curious as to how much power I can get from my Renegade!

Last edited by rogcjr; 03-04-2018 at 01:45 AM.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:15 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Are Renegade ports the same size as the afr 195 heads
Old 03-05-2018, 01:38 AM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...

Originally Posted by gkull
Are Renegade ports the same size as the afr 195 heads
They are almost exactly the same size.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:57 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jebbysan
Wow....outstanding!
Super Sano build and a CFI to boot!
What do each of the throttle bodies flow now?
Tell me about the fuel system and exhaust

Please update how it runs......so unique.

Jebby
I was going through some old posts and saw the one I made in 17 and thought I had updated this a while ago, guess not. OK, for all you CFI guys out there here are some upgrades I have done since this motor...in 18
The TBs flow 760cfm, flow verified on super flow SF-600 bench. Fuel system is my own version of parallel plumbing using external Aeromotive universal FPR, vacuum referenced. Running 24.5psi WOT and 18psi @ idle with 454 90# TBI injectors. The exhaust is Hedman headers with 2.5" SS true duals with X-pipe into Hooker max flow mufflers.

1. New GM SBC block - 383
2. New heads - AFR 195 Eliminators
3. New forged crank - Eagle
4. New forged pistons, Wiseco 10.5
5. New forged rods - 6" FSI I-beam
5. New cam Got rid of the Straub cam that was brand new with only one dyno pull and a 100 miles on it and installed a Bullet roller cam
6. New valve springs - LS
7. New coil and module - DUI
8. EBL Flash II ECM mod
9. Updated tune
10. Best time so far with this motor with only 840 miles on it was 12.73 @ 109mph, it still has more power in it for sure.
NOTE: Had tranny issues going into third, but I think I may have fixed that now and hope to do the 1st gear 700r mod and get the car down to 12.40-12.50 range, maybe even lower? Getting closer to Ben 73's 84 CF with his 12.20 pass. The motor is hauling *** and love the new power it makes. Hope this helps a bit more for you guys wanting to increase your CFI hp.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:22 AM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

I was going through some old posts and saw the one I made in 17 and thought I had updated this a while ago, guess not. OK, for all you CFI guys out there here are some upgrades I have done since this motor...in 18
The TBs flow 760cfm, flow verified on super flow SF-600 bench. Fuel system is my own version of parallel plumbing using external Aeromotive universal FPR, vacuum referenced. Running 24.5psi WOT and 18psi @ idle with 454 90# TBI injectors. The exhaust is Hedman headers with 2.5" SS true duals with X-pipe into Hooker max flow mufflers.

1. New GM SBC block - 383
2. New heads - AFR 195 Eliminators
3. New forged crank - Eagle
4. New forged pistons, Wiseco 10.5
5. New forged rods - 6" FSI I-beam
5. New cam Got rid of the Straub cam that was brand new with only one dyno pull and a 100 miles on it and installed a Bullet roller cam
6. New valve springs - LS
7. New coil and module - DUI
8. EBL Flash II ECM mod
9. Updated tune
10. Best time so far with this motor with only 840 miles on it was 12.73 @ 109mph, it still has more power in it for sure.
NOTE: Had tranny issues going into third, but I think I may have fixed that now and hope to do the 1st gear 700r mod and get the car down to 12.40-12.50 range, maybe even lower? Getting closer to Ben 73's 84 CF with his 12.20 pass. The motor is hauling *** and love the new power it makes. Hope this helps a bit more for you guys wanting to increase your CFI hp.

What is this 1st gear 700r mod?
Old 04-22-2019, 11:24 AM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

It is the shift plate mod so you can actually put the selector lever into 1st gear and hold it to when you want to shift into 2nd vs only being able to put the lever in 2nd which is really 1st and the trans will shift automatically into 2nd, then you can hold 2nd into 3rd. I hate the no 1st gear hold out. Why GM made it that way is beyond me. With a 3,06 1st gear in a 700r4, that would have made for a much much better launch and shift vs current.

Oh, and one more thing about my fueling. I use the 255lph in-tank pump that is very quiet, just like stock to keep everything feed. The only time I hear it is when you first hit the key for a second or two at prime. Here is the link. 255lph pmp
Old 04-22-2019, 02:41 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

It is the shift plate mod so you can actually put the selector lever into 1st gear and hold it to when you want to shift into 2nd vs only being able to put the lever in 2nd which is really 1st and the trans will shift automatically into 2nd, then you can hold 2nd into 3rd. I hate the no 1st gear hold out. Why GM made it that way is beyond me. With a 3,06 1st gear in a 700r4, that would have made for a much much better launch and shift vs current.

Oh, and one more thing about my fueling. I use the 255lph in-tank pump that is very quiet, just like stock to keep everything feed. The only time I hear it is when you first hit the key for a second or two at prime. Here is the link. 255lph pmp
Oh, I thought it was actually something for the trans. I know they did it in the 4th gen fbodies also when they had highway gears in them, cant remember if it was to keep people in second gear to meet sound requirements or prevent them from trying to do interstate speeds in 1st.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:43 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Well, there is another 1st gear mod to the trans which is the planetary 2.84 conversation vs 3.06 which I have thought about doing also. If I pull the trans again, I may do that one as well.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:14 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Has anyone else done the 2.84 1st gear conversion to their 700r4 and if so, did you see an improvement in ET? Thanks...
Old 06-27-2019, 12:30 PM
Tarheels1
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Great thread!!!

Dear Bucc,
fantastic thread! I am in line to purchase an 82. My buddy is in the process of purchasing it now. I will be maintaining it for him.
He doesn’t expect to own it long. I’ve got 1st dibs on it.
When I buy it I want to do a similar job you did on yours. I’m an engineer by trade and especially the way you used the plumbing. Wow what a job! It always has appeared to me to be the weak spot for these aging cars. It may only be original one, but I want to see things run right!
your fellow enthusiast,
steve
Old 06-27-2019, 05:15 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Has anyone else done the 2.84 1st gear conversion to their 700r4 and if so, did you see an improvement in ET? Thanks...
If you have to have a 700r4 the 2.84 first gear is a great option
Old 06-27-2019, 05:35 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

I don't have to per-say, but it would end up costing me more than I want to spend on it again to go that little bit faster and then to do it right I would go with a 4L60E or 80E which then means a newer ECM and yet another tune etc... The cost keeps climbing. My 700 is pretty good other than the 1st gear nonsense which I plan on taking care of this winter and ready to go back to the track in Jan/Feb.

Dear Bucc,
fantastic thread! I am in line to purchase an 82. My buddy is in the process of purchasing it now. I will be maintaining it for him.
He doesn’t expect to own it long. I’ve got 1st dibs on it.
When I buy it I want to do a similar job you did on yours. I’m an engineer by trade and especially the way you used the plumbing. Wow what a job! It always has appeared to me to be the weak spot for these aging cars. It may only be original one, but I want to see things run right!
your fellow enthusiast,
steve
Thank you Steve and hope you pick up the CF. They are good cars once you sort em out, kind of like the energizer bunny, they keep going and going... Let me know when you get ready to do things to it and save you some time and money on the mods.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:58 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

I'm going to try and make a short vid of my motor running for all the CF guys. Not sure when, but I will try and get to it this weekend and upload it to my site.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:21 PM
Tarheels1
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Dear Buccaneers,
what is the latest on your 1982 CFI? I’d like to get in touch my buddies ride has issues. The idle is super fast I’m thinking vacuum leak. The hoses appear good. The headlights work great etc. the engine is running fair. No misses etc. My thinking so far on the car is the throttle bodies could stand some rebuilding...the car has about 55K miles and has set for long periods. Right now the gas tank is out with a hole. The gas that leaked out on my concrete left a nasty stain on it. I believe the gas tank was nasty. Another mechanic/ex-owner is trying to locate another one. What would you do to improve the way the car runs?
thanks!
Steve
Old 07-05-2020, 12:47 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tarheels1
Dear Buccaneers,
what is the latest on your 1982 CFI? I’d like to get in touch my buddies ride has issues. The idle is super fast I’m thinking vacuum leak. The hoses appear good. The headlights work great etc. the engine is running fair. No misses etc. My thinking so far on the car is the throttle bodies could stand some rebuilding...the car has about 55K miles and has set for long periods. Right now the gas tank is out with a hole. The gas that leaked out on my concrete left a nasty stain on it. I believe the gas tank was nasty. Another mechanic/ex-owner is trying to locate another one. What would you do to improve the way the car runs?
thanks!
Steve
Right now mine is running great, it's the Arizona heat that keeps me from driving it. LOL You can cal me M-F, 9am - 5pm and we can chat. I will PM the number.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:53 AM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tarheels1
Dear Buccaneers,
thanks!
Steve
Get a new tank instead of risking another rusty bucket.

Get notified of new replies

To My NEW and improved 383 CFI build

Old 10-16-2020, 02:43 PM
Eric Fischer
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I am not sure I see the "budget" in this, pistons need to be flycut at a machine shop, dry sump needs to be addressed somehow, you will need PCM tuning, etc. Your goal is to run 11's? Is that all motor? Did it run 11's before?

Don't let my comments discourage you, I am just trying to understand the big picture here. But I am one who will stuff a 427 into anything so don't mine me!
Old 10-16-2020, 03:54 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

My 82 best time is 12.64,at 3,600'-3,800'+ DA but that was last year and have not been back to date. I've made "some" changes, but not all of them since it's STILL hot as hell here in AZ in Oct. Hoping to do some other things before Jan/Feb time frame, but it may not happen with all this covid crap, delays etc... I would be "ecstatic" as hell at 11.99, but I don't think it will happen. Fueling and tuning limitation at this point. Maybe move to Haltech system in the future. Oh, and the motor is all NA, no boost or giggle gas.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:24 PM
Corvettedave02
C3. 427, 4-link, c7 z06
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 155 Posts

I love your build probably more than anything because you used the stock /modified things setup. I had a friend with an 82 that had a stock tbi setup. Cosmetically it looks cool and unique. I can’t help but think your intake is a bit of a bottle neck but I see you had it flowed at 760 cfm. Do you run it with the air cleaner? That air cleaner has to have some restriction doesn’t it?

Quick Reply: My NEW and improved 383 CFI build