1982 Crossfire cuts out - Page 3 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C3 Tech/Performance
V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

1982 Crossfire cuts out

Old 09-11-2017, 08:40 PM   #41
ffarina
CF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigredwing View Post
Does your Check Engine lamp light? Mine was burned out and I did not realize it at first. Does the car idle at all? I had issues and a real gassy smell. Would not run right at all and it turned out to the the Throttle Position Sensor would not calibrate. Another issue I had with surging was a bad fuel pump even though the fuel injection "cone" spray looked ok. Good luck!
Check engine lamp does work. Engine idles rough between 6-10k RPMs. I think I eliminated the bad fuel pump with steady pressure greater than 10 psi.

Did you replace the Throttle Position Sensor?
ffarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:23 AM   #42
Bigredwing
CF Senior Member

OK, not to lecture but if you want to do your own maintenance on this car you need a Service Manual. Also read the "stickey's" at the start of the C3 Forum. There is a specifically for '82's. There is also information in the C4 Forum since the '84 has the same powertrain. Also use the Search function for 'TPS' (or anything else). My apologies if somebody has already recommended all of this. The basic way to test the TPS is to use a multimeter, Torx screwdriver, and test leads which you can make or buy. The TPS is mounted on the drivers side of the Throttle Bodies and is moved by the throttle linkage. It has one connector with three wires attached. The following steps were copied by an old post by forum user Black85:

"There are 3 wires stacked vertically on the TPS. You will need to be able to measure the voltage between the two top wires. You can either buy a special harness connector that breaks these wires out (from Min America), or gently pierce the insulation of the wires with the pointy prongs on your volt meter. You can also stick a paper clip into each of the two top locations of the connector and clamp onto the paper clips to measure the voltage. Whatever is easiest for you.

1. Turn the ignition to the “ON” position without starting the engine.
2. Loosen the TPS Torx adjustment screws.
3. Set your volt meter to the low scale DC volt setting that will accurately read less than 1 volt.
4. Measure the voltage between the two top TPS wires.
5. Adjust the TPS by rotating its position until you get a reading of .54 volts.
6. Tighten the Torx screws and recheck the voltage. Readjust if necessary to make sure voltage is right at .54
7. Turn the ignition “OFF.”"

Good luck and I hope you have it running like a scalded dog soon.
-Chris
Bigredwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:52 PM   #43
ffarina
CF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigredwing View Post
OK, not to lecture but if you want to do your own maintenance on this car you need a Service Manual. Also read the "stickey's" at the start of the C3 Forum. There is a specifically for '82's. There is also information in the C4 Forum since the '84 has the same powertrain. Also use the Search function for 'TPS' (or anything else). My apologies if somebody has already recommended all of this. The basic way to test the TPS is to use a multimeter, Torx screwdriver, and test leads which you can make or buy. The TPS is mounted on the drivers side of the Throttle Bodies and is moved by the throttle linkage. It has one connector with three wires attached. The following steps were copied by an old post by forum user Black85:

"There are 3 wires stacked vertically on the TPS. You will need to be able to measure the voltage between the two top wires. You can either buy a special harness connector that breaks these wires out (from Min America), or gently pierce the insulation of the wires with the pointy prongs on your volt meter. You can also stick a paper clip into each of the two top locations of the connector and clamp onto the paper clips to measure the voltage. Whatever is easiest for you.

1. Turn the ignition to the “ON” position without starting the engine.
2. Loosen the TPS Torx adjustment screws.
3. Set your volt meter to the low scale DC volt setting that will accurately read less than 1 volt.
4. Measure the voltage between the two top TPS wires.
5. Adjust the TPS by rotating its position until you get a reading of .54 volts.
6. Tighten the Torx screws and recheck the voltage. Readjust if necessary to make sure voltage is right at .54
7. Turn the ignition “OFF.”"

Good luck and I hope you have it running like a scalded dog soon.
-Chris
Thank you I will definitely check out those threads and get my hands on a service manual.

To continue the prior conversation I did see that the IAC valves appear to be functioning. They are moving in and out in slow slight movements when running. If I remove them to clean I am more inclined to replace them rather than put the old parts back in. Any further comments to that thought?

Also I am thinking of replacing coil and distributor parts, plugs and wires.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:53 PM   #44
terry82
CF Senior Member

If the parts are working and you want to replace them that's up to you .new coil is a good idea they can still work but not be as good as new.plugs and wires are a good idea.
terry82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:29 PM   #45
ffarina
CF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry82 View Post
If the parts are working and you want to replace them that's up to you .new coil is a good idea they can still work but not be as good as new.plugs and wires are a good idea.
shopping manuals - Do I want the shop manual, service manual or assembly manual?
Old 09-13-2017, 04:41 PM   #46
TimAT
CF Senior Member

You want the GM Factory Service manual. The one printed by HELM Inc. for GM and used by the dealers in their shops.
TimAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:29 PM   #47
Bigredwing
CF Senior Member

Assembly manual is very useful too if you plan on keeping the car for a while. Many of the drawings are duplicated in the service and vendor manuals but the drawings are larger and also include notes with torque settings and bolt information. I have one and have used it many times. They are not expensive. Recommended.
Bigredwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:00 PM   #48
ffarina
CF Member

Ok I'll look for both of those. Thanks.
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • 1982 Crossfire cuts out
  •