C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with 383 bottom end

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 10:05 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,005 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Black04Vert
I should have been more specific. I was looking at using the 268XFI HR13

Any brand suggestions for crank, rods and pistons?

I see that Scat, Eagle and Lunati Voodoo all have non-twist forged 4340 cranks for $600-700. What's a good package price?

PS That Crossfire looks like a piece of art
Sorry for the late reply. I'm currently out of town at the moment at the dyno for my new motor and a little busy and wont be back in the Phoenix area until Fri.

I don't know of any "packages" per-say, but I use Eagle 4340 forged cranks, Eagle FSI I-beam forged rods (my rods are good to 750hp) so I should be fine. I would also go with full floating pins. I also use Wiseco forged pistons. These are good items and there are others and it all depends on how much you want to spend and who you would prefer to go with, there are lots. Again, I would "never" use cast anything in that motor making that power range unless you just like to spend money for the hell of it.

My cam is a custom HR cam for my car and motor setup and my specifications that I wanted the motor do accomplish from Straub Technologies and Chris Straub is a bit pricey vs. maybe other cam manufacturers. There are plenty of other cam guru's out there to choose from as well.

I hope this helps you out at least a little. Just remember to build for strength and quality, not HP.

Last edited by Buccaneer; 09-13-2017 at 10:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Black04Vert (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 11:19 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy
If you can still get a quench of 0.040" with a stock block and piston height using a Felpro 0.015" gasket, what benefit exactly is there to decking the block?

I understand that you want the deck perfectly square and flat, but what benefit is there to blocking the deck all the way down to 0.000" if you can still get proper quench without it?

Adam
Apart from wider head gasket choice, not sure there is much difference, but that wasn't the question I was replying to. He asked what the benefit of tight quench was, not what the benefit of decking the head was. You make a good point, that is a viable alternative, the deck needs to be flat enough though.

Quick Reply: Help with 383 bottom end