C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New tach board needed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 11:04 PM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 69 Posts

Default New tach board needed?

Pulled into the driveway this afternoon with the 80 and just happened to notice the tach needle pin to the right. It didn't return and I shut down the engine, but the needle stayed pinned to the max rpm.
I was going to try resetting the needle thinking it may have slipped on the shaft? Willcox - is this wishful thinking?
Old 09-16-2017, 12:03 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by BlackC3vette
Pulled into the driveway this afternoon with the 80 and just happened to notice the tach needle pin to the right. It didn't return and I shut down the engine, but the needle stayed pinned to the max rpm.
I was going to try resetting the needle thinking it may have slipped on the shaft? Willcox - is this wishful thinking?
Probably so... when the needle pins to one side or the other it is usually an indication that one side of the board isn't working. The tach board uses sine and co-sign to push and pull. When one side is dead on one side the other other takes over. If this is an original board then I'd look at the board. If this is a new or newer board, I'd take a look at the nuts holding the board to the movement.

When the board functions, the sine pushes and the co-sine pulls until the board reaches approximately 2500 rpms.... then they flip and the sine pulls and the co-sine pushes... but if one nut is not making good contact or if one side of the board is dead, then it will only read the other side when the ignition switch is turned on and thus the board will either go below zero or it will peg out depending on which nut is the issue.

It would be highly unlikely that the needle would slip...

Willcox
Old 09-16-2017, 01:26 PM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

Default Update - possible cursed driveway

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Probably so... when the needle pins to one side or the other it is usually an indication that one side of the board isn't working. The tach board uses sine and co-sign to push and pull. When one side is dead on one side the other other takes over. If this is an original board then I'd look at the board. If this is a new or newer board, I'd take a look at the nuts holding the board to the movement.

When the board functions, the sine pushes and the co-sine pulls until the board reaches approximately 2500 rpms.... then they flip and the sine pulls and the co-sine pushes... but if one nut is not making good contact or if one side of the board is dead, then it will only read the other side when the ignition switch is turned on and thus the board will either go below zero or it will peg out depending on which nut is the issue.

It would be highly unlikely that the needle would slip...

Willcox
This morning I started the 80 up - tach still pinned to right. Backed down the driveway, put it in first and started moving, so did the tach, it popped back down to normal rpm. Tach worked fine until I came back home and as soon as I pulled into the driveway, the tach pinned to the right. OK, my driveway is cursed!!!
Old 09-16-2017, 06:13 PM
71VetteLover
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackC3vette
This morning I started the 80 up - tach still pinned to right. Backed down the driveway, put it in first and started moving, so did the tach, it popped back down to normal rpm. Tach worked fine until I came back home and as soon as I pulled into the driveway, the tach pinned to the right. OK, my driveway is cursed!!!

See if your tach filter is loose where it's bolted to the manifold.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:49 AM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 71VetteLover
Unfortunately, it's tight.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:46 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Just a FYI..

A loose filter won't cause the tach to peg to either side, if the filter is loose it will either work or won't work.... but it won't peg, it would stay at zero.

Ernie
Old 09-17-2017, 08:54 PM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

Just a FYI..

A loose filter won't cause the tach to peg to either side, if the filter is loose it will either work or won't work.... but it won't peg, it would stay at zero.

Ernie
Well since I just had the speedometer issue resolved, it makes perfect sense that the tach would be the next issue.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:13 PM
71VetteLover
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 71 Posts

Just a FYI..

Ernie

What happens when the wire breaks?
Old 09-18-2017, 09:41 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

What happens when the wire breaks?
That is a very good questions...

When the wire breaks and the tach is powered up (key on), without signal it will go to zero... (if it's a factory tach).... This is exactly what you are doing when you do the zero set for the needle position when installing a new board. You power it up with no signal, remove the needle and re-set it.

The factory tach boards (and ours) will also remember it's last reading when shut off, this was something I insisted on when we built the new boards years ago.. The idea was to have the tach board function just like the originals.

Willcox

Get notified of new replies

To New tach board needed?

Quick Reply: New tach board needed?