C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT1 to 1968 guages

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 01:18 AM
vettec235
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 to 1968 guages

I am planning on putting one of the LT1 & 8L90-e automatic
transmission GM Connect & Cruise packages into my 1968 (car bought new, but has a non-number-matching 427 engine) so I do not feel bad about this swap.
I would like to retain the tachometer, speedometer, and the other guages except the amp guage (swap in a voltmeter).
Does anyone make electronic and/or mechanical adapters for these changes?
Hoping someone has experience of putting an LT1 in a C3 car.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:21 PM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

You picked an uphill battle there.
There are mechanical speedo adapter for the 4L60/80 but don't know of any for the 8L90. I've heard of people having success with the Abbott cable x box.
With the tach, you can swap the electric 77 vette tach internals. I used an Isspro tach with the same sweep as the 68, swapped those internals.
The 68 temp sender is 1/2" or 3/8" NPT. Way too big for the small metric temp sensor in your heads. The LS blocks had big threaded brass block plugs on the drivers side that are perfect for tapping for the 68 vette sender. You'll have to check the LT1 block.
Mechanical 1/8" NPT oil port can be used in the huge metric LS1 block oil pressure sender location. Speedway motors sells the adapter for the LS blocks, maybe the same for the LT.
With a little experimentation you could retain the amp gauge, I managed.

Last edited by Garys 68; 09-19-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:51 PM
68sixspeed
Melting Slicks

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

TCI and Dakota digital also make cable drive boxes to run a stock mechanical speedometer. Autometer makes an LS adapter kit for the temp senders etc. I'm not sure what to do about the tachometer though since stock is cable driven also. There is a company that converts mechanical speedometers to electronic, maybe they can do a tach conversion as well. I'll try and find there info.

Edit, found it, no association. http://redlinegaugeworks.com

Last edited by 68sixspeed; 09-20-2017 at 10:57 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:41 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Take a look at the Dakota Digital HDX gauges. They really add a lot of nice features and a modern touch to the car. The interfacing is easy too. If you like them then call them and see if they're working on a set for your car. They already have the VHX available which is similar but with simpler displays and maybe you'd like it better anyways.

One nice thing about these gauges is that they have all the lights like the high beam, signals, e-brake warning etc built-in to the gauge faces like a modern car cluster. If you put individual aftermarket gauges into the dash they don't have these lights in them.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:41 AM
vettec235
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dakota Digital Displays

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Take a look at the Dakota Digital HDX gauges. They really add a lot of nice features and a modern touch to the car. The interfacing is easy too. If you like them then call them and see if they're working on a set for your car. They already have the VHX available which is similar but with simpler displays and maybe you'd like it better anyways.

One nice thing about these gauges is that they have all the lights like the high beam, signals, e-brake warning etc built-in to the gauge faces like a modern car cluster. If you put individual aftermarket gauges into the dash they don't have these lights in them.
I took a look at the Dakota Digital website, I will have to give them a call.
Thanks for pointing me in their direction.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:35 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by vettec235
I took a look at the Dakota Digital website, I will have to give them a call.
Thanks for pointing me in their direction.
Maybe it's just me- but I think the original gauges (pre 77) just look at home in the C3- and the newer gauges just don't have that look.

I did a "newer" engine swap and just had the gauges converted by Corvette Instrument Service in Florida. No need for any "adapters."

He did the tach- speedo - volt- and even a oil temp gauge to replace the clock- important if you are running a Dry sump.

Even doing a custom dash- would have been easier to go w/ new gauges - but the originals just look too good.

Dakota-

Originals redone-

Get notified of new replies

To LT1 to 1968 guages

Quick Reply: LT1 to 1968 guages