C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1977 Corvette C3 radio replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 06:26 AM
Lucas Van de Voorde
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1977 Corvette C3 radio replacement

Hi everyone,

I am the proud owner of a 1977 Corvette C3 and I want to replace the radio of my car. Can someone explain to me what I need to do in order to remove the radio from the dashboard?

Lucas van de Voorde
Old 09-24-2017, 05:15 AM
nz corvette
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucas Van de Voorde
Hi everyone,

I am the proud owner of a 1977 Corvette C3 and I want to replace the radio of my car. Can someone explain to me what I need to do in order to remove the radio from the dashboard?

Lucas van de Voorde
Hi Lucas, welcome, just remove one or both side panels off each side of the center consul, there is three screws per side one them is hidden behind the seat and the other two are quite easy to see
There should be speaker wires and two power leads plus an earth,make sure you label all these. Depending on radio/stereo you have it will either come out the front or rear
Post a photo of your car we are all ways keen them
Cheers Dave NZ
Old 09-24-2017, 11:28 AM
Rotonda
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by nz corvette
Hi Lucas, welcome, just remove one or both side panels off each side of the center consul, there is three screws per side one them is hidden behind the seat and the other two are quite easy to see
There should be speaker wires and two power leads plus an earth,make sure you label all these. Depending on radio/stereo you have it will either come out the front or rear
Post a photo of your car we are all ways keen them
Cheers Dave NZ

But several additional points/suggestions:
1) ALSO remove the connection between the radio and the antenna
2) I would advise leaving the radio mounted in the plate that contains the gauge center stack. There are small black Phillips head screws holding this plate on the top, left and right of this stack. this will allow you to remove the entire stack, including the radio. (You will also have to disconnect several electrical connections - label them for location and orientation - up , down etc).

The reason for this step is that the GM radio in the 77 is not a standard size - the face is taller and narrower and the ***** are set back and away so nothing aftermarket will fit. It is possible to purchase radios built specifically to fit a C3's face panel, but nothing I have heard of them suggests they contain quality electronics, AND they are pricey. Many owners wind up purchasing a quality aftermarket radio that fits the current standard DIN opening and modifying the opening in the center stack to accommodate the radio (PLEASE NOTE that many of the corvette parts sellers offer a new faceplate already modified to the DIN size. I modified my original 77 face plate to hold my Kenwood, which has both a CD slot but also a USB port for use with both many music recording devices and a short thumb drive.)
Old 09-24-2017, 10:57 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 659 Posts

Remove the "Negative Cable from the Battery First" before you disconnect anything.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:18 AM
Lucas Van de Voorde
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for your reply.

I will update my progress.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:35 PM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

I tried an expensive radio that fit my '77 face panel without alteration, trying to maintain 'originality'. The sound and reception were terrible and it was inop after 2 years. I had a local shop reop my face panel and install a nice modern Alpine unit and install a small amp that fits hidden away inside the console. I don't regret it at all.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:38 PM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

This is the junk I removed.

Get notified of new replies

To 1977 Corvette C3 radio replacement

Quick Reply: 1977 Corvette C3 radio replacement