C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight question

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 03:12 PM
rrbnut
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Headlight question

The original front headlight lamps on my '82 C3 are certainly quite dim in comparison to today's standards. Anyone has done a headlight chnage and if so with what lamps? Thanks
Old 09-26-2017, 03:55 PM
71VetteLover
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Octane Lighting In Simi California

Originally Posted by rrbnut
The original front headlight lamps on my '82 C3 are certainly quite dim in comparison to today's standards. Anyone has done a headlight change and if so with what lamps? Thanks

I just installed a set of "Crystal Clear" lenses and H4 bulbs from Octane Lighting in Simi Valley California AND their relay kit with ceramic plugs for a total of $165. They have a website so I suggest you visit it and look their selection over. They made a HUGE difference over the OEM T3 lamps but to add 50% more lighting I wired them so all four burn on low beam too. The H4 bulbs contain the low and high beam filaments so all I had to do was add an additional 5/16" female spade terminal to the center plugs and I got those 5/16" terminals from my old plugs.

Last edited by 71VetteLover; 09-26-2017 at 03:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rrbnut (09-26-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 04:16 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Hi and welcome again.

Originally Posted by rrbnut
The original front headlight lamps on my '82 C3 are certainly quite dim in comparison to today's standards. Anyone has done a headlight chnage and if so with what lamps? Thanks
The most cost effective way to get the headlights as bright as possible is to install a relay.
The headlamp switch triggers the relay and the relay sends full battery voltage (on heavy gauge wires) to the headlights.
rrbnut (09-26-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 04:58 PM
71VetteLover
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Peterbuilt
The most cost effective way to get the headlights as bright as possible is to install a relay.
The headlamp switch triggers the relay and the relay sends full battery voltage (on heavy gauge wires) to the headlights.

Yeah, as the headlight switch is so darned hard to get to it's much better to have the headlight switch simply energize a relay instead of powering all four lights. I have a BUSS 6-fuse fuse block mounted on my firewall so I used one of its empty terminals to power my relays.
Attached Images  
Old 09-26-2017, 05:23 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Relays are the only way to get them brighter as you can get a full 13.5 to 14 volts to the lamps.
There are many options out there to do this.
I used Daniel Sterns kit. You do have to upgrade the wire size so that the full voltage doesn't go through your old wires. I did hack my wiring harness up to install them but I wanted a clean install. There are adapters that plug into your existing bulb plugs then go to the relays then back to the lamps.
So a search here. There are many threads on the subject.

My circuit:

Daniel Stern

I'm actually replacing the fuses with self resetting circuit breakers. They should be in tomorrow. It's just a safety thing and check you states inspection requirments as some states don't allow the headlight to run off of fuses and you will not pass inspection if you need one.

Last edited by theandies; 09-26-2017 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:27 AM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

Before blaming the wiring and original type lamps I suggest cleaning the grounds! The front lamp harness has three ground points:

1) On the inboard side of the alternator.

2) On the metal front cowl support between the headlamp door vacuum relays.

3) On the front, lower-left corner of the radiator mounting bracket. This one is a pain to access but probably the one most in need of cleaning.

If, after cleaning those three grounds you get strange lamp/electrical behavior (my fuel gauge would drop when I applied the brakes) clean the rear lamp harness ground in the left-rear fender near the radio antenna.
Peterbuilt (09-28-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 12:26 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

I had done the headlight relay mod with success using the 5000 series halogen replacement bulbs. They used to trip my headlamp switch before that mod.

I bit the bullet and went with the Speed Direct fabricated front lighting harness. Then changed to Hella H4 bulbs. I did not use the bulbs that were offered by Speed Direct. I had to modify my headlight housings to accept the rear of the bulbs. The wiring harness was an easy install. The bulbs not so much. It really lights up the road now.

Here's what I used...

Amazon Amazon

https://www.speeddirect.com/index.ph...mance-lighting

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight question

Quick Reply: Headlight question