C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

!

Old 10-02-2017, 02:53 PM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Default !

I thoroughly researched this forum as well as talk to tech reps in the field etc and determined that 18x9.5 with a 5.25" backspace would fit on my '69 coupe.

After receiving the wheels/tires I did a test fit and found the parking brake cable and bracket to be causing interference. After researching this I found that many have removed; (cut off) the bracket and re-locate to the top of the trailing arm. I went to do this project and after removing the brake calipers which meant removing the solid brake lines caused brake fluid to run out in two places!

I then attempted to remove the tail-end of the parking brake cable, but the ball wouldn't free up from the clamp. After loosening the middle V clamp to the maximum extent I found that the ball still wouldn't budge. I later discovered that someone pressed the clip down and was crushing against the cable. With a small open end wrench I was able to pry open the clamp a little in order to slide out the cable.

After carefully cutting off the bracket I found them both to be unuseable and would have to fabricate up some new and beefier versions. I carefully sanded down the surface and painted with Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black.

I checked into relocating the parking brake cable to the top of the trailing arm and with the cable wrapped in a stainless steel sleeve there is no way I would be able to re-route it on top and get it to lay flat enough to mount. Also, with an upward angle I would never be able to get it to come back down to clamp the end of the cable to the brake assembly.

I decided to just Zip tie the ends of the parking brake cables for the time being.

Now, I thought I was home free and carefully placed one rear wheel onto the studs. Then I found that the rear sway bar is in the way! The only two alternatives I see are to locate a new narrow sway bar and fabricate some type of interior reaching mounts since the frame will be outboard, or determine which size wheel spacers are needed requiring longer studs.

Anyways, after all the research, notes, detailed careful work...this thing modification has become a huge hassle.

Last edited by BlackRocket; 10-02-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:56 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 741 Likes on 518 Posts

Is that an aftermarket sway bar? Most Vettes didn't come with a rear one from the factory. I think only BB's and Gymkhana Suspension came with the rear sway bar. With our IRS it's probably not that critical in the rear so you could always remove it unless you autocross or do some track days.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:35 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,324 Likes on 1,054 Posts

I've worked on clients c-3's and they want something done. As to the rear sway bar..... I've done "V" block bending of the rear sway bar on a hydro press in two places that makes the sway width narrower for tire clearance
Old 10-02-2017, 05:40 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

That is not the factory sway bar. The factory bar uses a double ended link between the trailing arm and the bar.
As far as the parking brake cable, I moved mine and got it to stay by simply bending it a little more than needed. Took a couple of attempts, but it can be adjusted,

Get notified of new replies

To !

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: !