C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition Wiring Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 12:02 AM
chazde3
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Default Ignition Wiring Question

Hey all. As some of you know, I am midway through restomodding my Dad's '68 roadster race car. I wasn't thinking everything through last year when I ordered all of the wiring kits for the car. I ordered everything for a '68 without remembering that at some point the steering column had been swapped out to a 69+ column. I was smart and kept my old wiring to reference when the time came.

I'm currently working on getting the under dash wiring installed and caught on pretty quick that the connectors for the steering and ignition were different. I have everything figured out thanks to all the wiring being the same color wise between the years, but I can't figure out one last wire. In the first picture, what is the thick orange wire? Near as I can tell, all the wiring in those 2 connectors are all related to the ignition, however I can't locate a corresponding orange wire on the new '68 wiring harness.

Name:  qjAa7fW.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  93.4 KB

This picture is the ignition connector on the new '68 wiring harness

Name:  zEzEGkp.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  1.12 MB

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:39 AM
1moore522
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That would be the "Heat & Air Conditioning" wire if your car came with those.
The following users liked this post:
chazde3 (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 11:59 AM
1moore522
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First thing I did when I started the restomod on my 73 was get a Assembly Manual and a Schematic Manual that covered my 73. You can get them from about any Vette supplier or just go to Ebay. Have fun!
Old 10-03-2017, 12:31 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1moore522
First thing I did when I started the restomod on my 73 was get a Assembly Manual and a Schematic Manual that covered my 73. You can get them from about any Vette supplier or just go to Ebay. Have fun!
I have one for my 68 that I use for reference, this was just an odd situation due to the car already having a different steering column. I guess I could have looked at the AIM I have for my 73 as well.

Thanks again.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:42 AM
chazde3
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1moore522
That would be the "Heat & Air Conditioning" wire if your car came with those.
My 68 does have heating. I'm curious if I have to trace how to hook in this orange wire to get the heater to work in the car or not. I'm guessing that this orange wire was a switched power wire so that the heater only ran when the car was on. I don't see this thick orange wire in the replacement wiring harness. Was the heater wired to always be able to run?

Get notified of new replies

To Ignition Wiring Question

Quick Reply: Ignition Wiring Question