C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SBC stroker intake manifold choice

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 08:46 AM
stingraymaniac
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

That sounds awesome, the first start is always abit nervous, but that sounds very healthy
Old 03-14-2018, 12:14 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by Les
Oh, and I went with a Team G intake, in case anybody is curious.
I think you made a good choice. I didn't port match mine to the AFR 195's. 357 rwhp on a Mustang dyno.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:45 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Right on sounds great Les, good choice going with Jim his work is top notch, his machinist one of the best.
Thanks- and yessir, Jim is top notch in all regards. And the machine shop balanced the rotating assembly to within .5 grams.
Originally Posted by stingraymaniac
That sounds awesome, the first start is always abit nervous, but that sounds very healthy
Thanks. So true about the first fire up. You don't want to wash the cylinders down with fuel while trying to get it to light off. I went to great lengths to get the rotor lined up as well as possible to the cap and it paid off. Lit as soon as I gave it a light pump of the throttle.
Originally Posted by resdoggie
I think you made a good choice. I didn't port match mine to the AFR 195's. 357 rwhp on a Mustang dyno.
The size of the ports on the Team G were almost a perfect match for the heads and that's why I got the Team G. Well, that and the dyno tests were really good with it on other small blocks. I've told you this before- you have a very pissed off 355.
The following users liked this post:
resdoggie (03-19-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 07:47 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,331 Likes on 1,059 Posts

we have everything the same ~ other than my crane cam is the solid roller version of 236/242 which some people equate as being the same as an lessor rated H-roller duration.

I have the older AFR 210 with the bigger diameter stems with Manley 2.08/1.60 Raceflow valves My port polished CNC heas are some where in the 308 CFM over .600 through .700

I tried up to 1 1/2 open spacers and didn't find anything that you could feel even out to 7500 rpm.

My advice is to buy a 1/2 inch 4 hole wood spacer for better signal and the thermal block from some place like Summit Racing
Old 03-18-2018, 01:44 AM
Bigeddie
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Les
Thanks Eddie. By the way I spent the first 11 years of my life in Salinas and still have some family and friends there.
nice, i love this town, it has the best weather.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:43 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Originally Posted by resdoggie

I looked at a LOT of manifolds for my Dart 200 head 10.5 to 1 406.....but went back to a Team G as it is a short unit that works. I rounded off all of the casting bumps on the runner entrances and port matched. I used a 1/2" wood open spacer and a modified HP750 that flows about 780 or so......it runs VERY hard.

BTW.....I will probably put a Dart Single plane on it when more funds are available......that manifold flat out works. The Super Victor needs a butt load of poerting around the carb entrance and just staring at it I wonder why Edelbrock did that....the Wilson ported Super Victor removes ALL of that and is 30 horse beter on a 600 horse engine.
I never bother with the Victor Jr. anymore because it needs WAY too much work to port match.....not only only for size, but one also has two go damn near two inches up the runner.

It is a shame about the Titon intakes......but looking at one scares me because of the plastic water crossover......Ford did that years ago with the 4.6 and almost all of them crack.....the Dorman replacement has an aluminum crossover......
AFR should mold the intake in a silver after they fix it because to me the black looks all wrong......think FAST LS intake.....

Jebby
Old 03-18-2018, 09:23 PM
skids
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 110 Posts

This would be a good combo. Quick Fuel SS750, Dart intake.

Came off my 64. Will be posting for sale on forum.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:31 AM
Les
Race Director

Once again, and for the last time, I'm going to bring this thread back for an update. After my last post here we went out of the country on a cruise, then home for a few days, and then to Vegas for the 4 wide NHRA Nationals- helluva show by the way.

In between those things I've been putting the car back together, getting the 3" mandrel exhaust done enough to make it drivable, and working on tuning the carb to this engine. In several stages, with support from Jim Barth, I got the front of the carb dialed in. I also changed the accelerator pump cam to cover a slight bog when opening the secondaries.

I can't emphasize enough how helpful Jim has been throughout. He's a top notch engine builder, a walking encyclopedia regarding tuning, and is a great human being on top of it all.

Sunday, for the first time, I was able to get the car out for a couple full throttle passes to see how the A/F ratio looks- Jim loaned me his LM-1 set up for this. In the video below I had my wife focus on recording the readout on the meter. I learned quite a bit. The A/F is just a bit fat, so I'll drop the secondary jets a size and re-check. It should be just about right then. The results are interesting in another way, if you listen closely. Here it is-

Last edited by Les; 05-01-2018 at 02:32 AM.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:48 PM
tpi 421 vette
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Les
Once again, and for the last time, I'm going to bring this thread back for an update. After my last post here we went out of the country on a cruise, then home for a few days, and then to Vegas for the 4 wide NHRA Nationals- helluva show by the way.

In between those things I've been putting the car back together, getting the 3" mandrel exhaust done enough to make it drivable, and working on tuning the carb to this engine. In several stages, with support from Jim Barth, I got the front of the carb dialed in. I also changed the accelerator pump cam to cover a slight bog when opening the secondaries.

I can't emphasize enough how helpful Jim has been throughout. He's a top notch engine builder, a walking encyclopedia regarding tuning, and is a great human being on top of it all.

Sunday, for the first time, I was able to get the car out for a couple full throttle passes to see how the A/F ratio looks- Jim loaned me his LM-1 set up for this. In the video below I had my wife focus on recording the readout on the meter. I learned quite a bit. The A/F is just a bit fat, so I'll drop the secondary jets a size and re-check. It should be just about right then. The results are interesting in another way, if you listen closely. Here it is-

Glad it worked out well
Old 05-01-2018, 09:52 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Sounds healthy!

Mike
Old 05-02-2018, 07:12 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

that LM1 has made its rounds around the forum lol
The Ultraflows would sound killer on your car, you can tell the 396 sounds huskier than a 383 for sure. Sounds nice and crisp...nice job.
The intake AFR is coming out with will be one sweet piece just keep what you have and go play. That Z reminds me of my old 70...straight bumper, that bright metallic green. Impound lot regular back in the day

When you get bored there are gains to be had working the intake over you can actually feel.

Last edited by cv67; 05-02-2018 at 07:12 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:33 PM
Les
Race Director

Originally Posted by v2racing
Sounds healthy!

Mike
Thanks Mike. It's not the all out beast that your 406 is but it'll be more than enough for me- and those tires.
that LM1 has made its rounds around the forum lol
The Ultraflows would sound killer on your car, you can tell the 396 sounds huskier than a 383 for sure. Sounds nice and crisp...nice job.
The intake AFR is coming out with will be one sweet piece just keep what you have and go play. That Z reminds me of my old 70...straight bumper, that bright metallic green. Impound lot regular back in the day

When you get bored there are gains to be had working the intake over you can actually feel.
Haha, yes I'm sure that LM1 has made a lot of friends over the years. Actually, I reused the UltraFlo SS muffs that had been on the car for something like 20 years. They looked like new after I spent a few minutes cleaning them up. You may be hearing a tone difference due to the X pipe my son in law made for the mandrel system, and the fact that it ends at the axle until he can spare the time to finish it.

I'll be watching for the AFR intake. I was hoping it would be ready in time for this build. I think I need to solve my traction issue before I add any power. The tires are Falken Azenis 615Ks which are popular autocross tires- pretty sticky, so I didn't think they'd be getting their *** kicked like this....not that I'm complaining.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:25 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

I've been using the Daytona Twin Tec Wego III for a few years. It's a bit more expensive than the LM1, but is compact, has data logging, 5 volt inputs to take data from other sensors such as throttle position or map sensors, and can be programed to display either lambda or afr. There's a dual channel also. Mine's a single. They gave it to me before they were making the dual channel.

Mike

Old 05-03-2018, 12:59 AM
Les
Race Director

I've been using the Daytona Twin Tec Wego III for a few years. It's a bit more expensive than the LM1, but is compact, has data logging, 5 volt inputs to take data from other sensors such as throttle position or map sensors, and can be programed to display either lambda or afr. There's a dual channel also. Mine's a single. They gave it to me before they were making the dual channel.

Mike

That looks like a nice set up. Did they actually give it to you? If so, there must be a pretty good story behind it.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:11 AM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Les
That looks like a nice set up. Did they actually give it to you? If so, there must be a pretty good story behind it.
Yes they gave it me as well as some other things. I was performance division manager for Kuryakyn for 12 years. I marketed Daytona Twin Tec's products for them. Most of the performance products I designed or we designed as a team. I brought on some products from other companies though. They were usually thankful and would give me gifts such as the Wego III and their DTT aftermarket ECM for my Harley.

Mike

Last edited by v2racing; 05-03-2018 at 02:12 AM.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:34 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

v2 whats youre personal opinion using one to fine tune than without?
Old 05-03-2018, 02:13 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

v2 whats youre personal opinion using one to fine tune than without?
You know I tuned a lot of carbs on the street and the track before the wide bands were ever available to the public. I always had good results, but after I started using a wide band on the street and on the dyno, there is no comparison, especially in the part throttle and cruise areas.

WOT is the easiest to tune and I don't know that having a wide band would have helped with the racing, as I always tuned for best trap speed and set lots of records that way, but for the street I would never tune one again without a wide band.

Fuel injection is nearly impossible to tune properly without a wide band.

Mike
Old 05-03-2018, 03:14 PM
Les
Race Director

Yes they gave it me as well as some other things. I was performance division manager for Kuryakyn for 12 years. I marketed Daytona Twin Tec's products for them. Most of the performance products I designed or we designed as a team. I brought on some products from other companies though. They were usually thankful and would give me gifts such as the Wego III and their DTT aftermarket ECM for my Harley.

Mike
Very

Quick Reply: SBC stroker intake manifold choice