C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head light issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 07:52 PM
gabesaad10
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head light issue

So for the past couple days I’ve been trying to find out what had been wrong with my head lights they go up fine (I know that the lights going up and lighting up don’t have any correlation) but none of the lights actually work, I thought it was a fuse or something but I don’t think it is anymore. I was looking for a bad ground or something along those lines and I was filling the harness all the way to the fire wall and unscrewed the harness from the fuse box on the fire wall from the outside and all the plugs were covered in some type of liquid, I don’t know if that’s a special grease or something used to help connections but I was wondering if someone could answer that for me?
Old 10-04-2017, 11:34 PM
Antz81
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts

Not 100% on what it is, I believe it's for water proofing.
I don't believe it will be causing the problem with your lights.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:01 AM
gabesaad10
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have any ideas what is?
Old 10-05-2017, 12:22 PM
Bergerboy
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 132 Posts

Could be di-electric grease.
Is used typically to prevent water from infiltrating the electrical connection, and can be used in connectors and bulb/sockets.
Not sure if that's what you've got in there.
It looks somewhat blackened, where the DE grease is clear-ish.
I'd suggest cleaning it off really well, hooking it back up and seeing if you get lights again.
You can always add a fresh gob of new DE grease after that, if you suspect it needs further protection from the elements.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:40 PM
Antz81
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Bergerboy
Could be di-electric grease.
Is used typically to prevent water from infiltrating the electrical connection, and can be used in connectors and bulb/sockets.
Not sure if that's what you've got in there.
It looks somewhat blackened, where the DE grease is clear-ish.
I'd suggest cleaning it off really well, hooking it back up and seeing if you get lights again.
You can always add a fresh gob of new DE grease after that, if you suspect it needs further protection from the elements.
Just clean it off the pins if you choose to do this. I do know that it's not Di-electric grease. It will be black like that on a brand new replacement harness as well.

I would say the problem is either the headlight switch or the dimmer switch. Do you have a floor mount or Colomn mount dimmer switch? At you dimmer switch you will have three wires (can't remember the colours). One will always be hot with the lights on, the other two will alternate depending on the position of the switch. If none of the wires are hot with the headlights on check your headlight switch.

Get notified of new replies

To Head light issue

Quick Reply: Head light issue