C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idler Arm to Steering Linkage Washers

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 08:57 PM
Reaper19
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Idler Arm to Steering Linkage Washers

Okay so I am getting ready to start installing my new front suspension parts on my 81 after cleaning up and painting everything. When I took off the old idler arm which looked like the GM original it had 2 washers at the connection of the idler arm and steering linkage, one foam and one plastic. Well obviously the plastic washer was very brittle, wore out and broke. On the new replacement idler arm there is only a foam washer.

I think I know the answer but wanted to check if m conclusion is correct? The new idler arm has two grease fittings and the original had none. So my conclusion the plastic washer is not required since the grease will lubricate the surfaces of the foam washers when greasing through the fitting. Whereas on the original, since it did not require grease maintenance, the plastic washer acted as the sliding surface for the foam washer.

Looking through all of the vendors sites, none supply the plastic washer with the new idler arms, so they must have been eliminated along the way with after market idler arms.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:02 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi R,
A nylon washer was originally part of the connection between the idler arm joint and the relay rod on 68-72 cars.
I'm not sure how much longer it may have continued to be used.
Regards,
Alan

The following users liked this post:
Reaper19 (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 07:39 AM
Reaper19
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi R,
A nylon washer was originally part of the connection between the idler arm joint and the relay rod on 68-72 cars.
I'm not sure how much longer it may have continued to be used.
Regards,
Alan

Thanks Alan,

I thought it may have to do with the original parts installed and then the aftermarket companies decided it was not needed any longer. Any way here is a picture of the washers from the idler arm I removed from the car. The idler arm looks just like the one you posted.

The new MOOG replacement is much heavier duty all around, as far as the arm itself with two grease fittings and a thicker foam washer. Supposed to be an improvement.

Randy
Attached Images  
Old 10-17-2017, 07:57 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi R19,
Thanks for the photo!
Since the steering linkage (idler arm, relay rod, and tie rods) came to the assembly line all ready assembled the individual parts aren't listed in the AIM Steering Section, so I'm only sure the washer was there.. not what part number it was.

There wasn't any sign of the black foam gasket shown in your photo on my linkage, so ??? on that.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 10-17-2017 at 08:06 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Idler Arm to Steering Linkage Washers

Quick Reply: Idler Arm to Steering Linkage Washers