C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 07:28 PM
Lark327
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Odd Electrical Issue

I hadn't driven my bone stock 72 for about a month. Gas tank is about 3/4 full but when I started the car, the gauge showed less than 1/4. So I checked with a flashlight and tank looked about 3/4 full as I left it. When I put on the headlights, the fuel gauge moved to way past the full mark. Lights off and it goes back to <1/4. I tried it with just the instrument panel lights on and the gauge didn't move. Any thoughts??? Thanks
Old 10-17-2017, 07:46 PM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

loose/corroded ground wire is my bet.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:23 PM
Lark327
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chapter2
loose/corroded ground wire is my bet.
I'm not much at electrical. So you think it might be the ground on the fuel gauge? (not the headlights?) Thanks
Old 10-18-2017, 12:00 AM
henrikse
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts

Yes it will be the grd at fuel gauge. When you turn headlights on it is using that ground
Old 10-18-2017, 07:56 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

There is a Black? wire going from the tail lights to the chassis frame, in there is spliced a pigtail that comes from the fuel tank, that wire corrodes a bit at the chassis....pull it and clean off the steel/connector loop to shiny clean metal....then snug it down solid, check that it all works, then cover the bolt/loop/chassis area with black automotive RTV to make it water tight forever.... AS I RECALL the right lights and the tank are grounded together, and the left lights have their own ground...so may as well to them too....while you at it, the battery does the same trick off the negative terminal....may as well do it too.....

Old 10-18-2017, 02:05 PM
Lark327
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrvette
There is a Black? wire going from the tail lights to the chassis frame, in there is spliced a pigtail that comes from the fuel tank, that wire corrodes a bit at the chassis....pull it and clean off the steel/connector loop to shiny clean metal....then snug it down solid, check that it all works, then cover the bolt/loop/chassis area with black automotive RTV to make it water tight forever.... AS I RECALL the right lights and the tank are grounded together, and the left lights have their own ground...so may as well to them too....while you at it, the battery does the same trick off the negative terminal....may as well do it too.....

Problem solved! I cleaned the ground to the frame by the taillights as well as for the taillights and the tank sending unit and it works perfectly. Glad I checked those before tearing the dash apart to get to the fuel gauge. Thanks!
Old 10-18-2017, 05:13 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

Lark327

I suggest you check the AIM (assembly manual) for your chassis grounding points and clean them ALL.

The fuel gauge in my '79 had a similar bizarre problem after I did some electrical upgrades that involved removing the front lamp harness during which I nicely cleaning the grounding points. Goofy electrical problems ensued until I cleaned ALL of the chassis grounds AND all of the electrical connectors outside the cabin! As a result of this lamps burn brighter, the HVAC fan blows far better, wipers move faster, etc.

Get notified of new replies

To Odd Electrical Issue

Quick Reply: Odd Electrical Issue