C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint and weather temperature changes question

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 10:41 AM
SMF
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Paint and weather temperature changes question

Last edited by SMF; 08-27-2020 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:08 AM
NeverTooOld
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by SMF
I have owned this vette for about 38 years and before I purchased the car it was painted with lacquer back when that was the way to paint cars. Another guy and I were discussing aged lacquer paint and changes in the weather temperatures. I always keep my car in a somewhat temperature controlled garage and never take it out during the winter months, especially when temps get and stay below 40 degrees. My friend suggested that summer temps are harder on lacquer paint, old or new, than winter temps. I don't really drive this car that much anyway, however, I am more likely to get it out during the warmer part of the year. I attribute the still very good condition of the paint to that practice. Looking for some opinions and feedback from some of you with more paint expertise. Thanks.

Lacquer tolerates sunlight and salt spray much better than enamel does and that's why the G.M cars retained their original appearance a lot longer than the Mopars and Fords. But given enough time even lacquer will will get destroyed by sunlight and salt spray even in the cold winter months. The fact you keep it in a garage really helps.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:25 PM
76Rat
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Laquer does not wear better than enamel. if it did we would still be using it.

Get notified of new replies

To Paint and weather temperature changes question

Quick Reply: Paint and weather temperature changes question