C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side pipe install - How to ?

Old 12-03-2017, 01:56 PM
pthor
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Side pipe install - How to ?

I'm fast approaching startup date on my newly rebuilt 383...

Currently~ I've installed the Hooker stainless sidemount headers and am ready to mount the side pipes.

(NO instructions came with the pipes & No Youtube videos deal with my project directly)
Question~ What is the correct process for mounting these pipes and what should I look out for?

I have noticed that the pipes will not slip over the collector tubes, they need to be expanded somehow? Is there any drilling involved? Do the aluminum side moldings need to be altered at all ?
Old 12-03-2017, 02:28 PM
Crimson Thunder
Burning Brakes

Received 444 Likes on 272 Posts

Be sure to use a little anti-seize on the collector or you may not get them apart again. The aluminum covers may need a little trimming in the front where the primaries come out from under the car. The hardest part is keeping the mounting studs in the holes when you are attempting to install the side tubes. I used the dental floss on the studs method so I could have something to hold onto. Take your time, you will cuss a lot.
The following users liked this post:
pthor (12-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 02:34 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,597 Posts

you should have gotten instructions with the headers if you bought them new along with the mounting hardware kits consisting of nuts, washers, carriage bolts, rubber biscuits, etc.
below is a link to the instructions
you have to remove the side moldings and modify them and there are slots in the frame, look at the instructions.
Use antiseize compound on the collectors to slide the side pipes on, remove the rear tires to ease installation. Use a rubber strap wrench to twist the side pipe in a back and forth motion.

https://static.summitracing.com/glob...ok-2234hkr.pdf

Last edited by MelWff; 12-03-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:17 PM
pthor
Instructor

Originally Posted by MelWff
you should have gotten instructions with the headers if you bought them new along with the mounting hardware kits consisting of nuts, washers, carriage bolts, rubber biscuits, etc.
below is a link to the instructions
you have to remove the side moldings and modify them and there are slots in the frame, look at the instructions.
Use antiseize compound on the collectors to slide the side pipes on, remove the rear tires to ease installation. Use a rubber strap wrench to twist the side pipe in a back and forth motion.

https://static.summitracing.com/glob...ok-2234hkr.pdf
Thanks for the info and instructions, I got partial instructions with the headers but, not the side pipes.

What's the best way to open/expand the pipes to slide over the collectors ? I will buy
that strap wrench today...
Old 12-03-2017, 03:23 PM
pthor
Instructor

I keep going to the garage but they still aren't installed? Looks like it's up to me
Old 12-03-2017, 03:32 PM
cooper9811
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

you should not have to expand them - they are supposed to be a snug slip fit. My SS Hookers where hard to get started over the collector tube.

However, there is a bolt that is on the "frame side" of the side pipe opening, where it slips over the header collector. The boss that bolt sits in should have a small horizontal slit machined into it, to allow you to tighten the opening.

The only thing I would even consider is to try GENTLY spreading that slit apart to give you just a few extra millimeters of wiggle room. Be careful not to make the tube bend or buckle - I would be really conservative and go slow with any adjustments like that. Would hate to see you end up with a blemish on the stainless.

Also - your rockers need to come off. The studs that attach to the frame will sit under the rocker panels once it's all done.

Last edited by cooper9811; 12-03-2017 at 03:33 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 12-03-2017, 04:19 PM
pthor
Instructor

I will check again but they don't seem to want to slide over the collector tubes, I will expand them where you mentioned if need be. Thanks for all of the help...
Old 12-03-2017, 08:30 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 257 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by pthor
I will check again but they don't seem to want to slide over the collector tubes, I will expand them where you mentioned if need be. Thanks for all of the help...
If you have to "tap" them on, use a block of wood and hit the mounting bracket on the back side. Also be generous with the anti seize
Old 12-03-2017, 09:03 PM
pthor
Instructor

Originally Posted by Duke94
If you have to "tap" them on, use a block of wood and hit the mounting bracket on the back side. Also be generous with the anti seize
There is no way these babies are sliding on... They aren't even close! Story of My Life, I may even call hooker and tell them how I feel about them adding more pain to my building hell 😠
The following users liked this post:
Marcm54 (06-13-2021)
Old 12-04-2017, 05:44 AM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

Are both the collectors and tail pipes round? In other words, they aren't ovalated from shipping damage? Maybe you can find an exhaust shop that can expand 4" pipe. If my memory is correct, the tail pipes have small tubes in the back side that get nut and bolted to clamp down on the collector.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:35 AM
cooper9811
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

They are a tight fit. As I recall, my ss tubes were pretty hard to slide on. As 3X2 states, make sure the tubes aren't slightly out-of-round. I seem to recall using one hand to massage the tube opening as I slipped them on during the first installation. I do know it took me some time to get them started.

I also had to have the tubes exactly square and straight relative to the collector. Don't assume that is always the same as parallel to the frame/car body. It took me some time and several attempts.

Make sure the rocker panels are off before you do this - it's easier to do if they are out of the way and you can get the tabs aligned to the frame holes w/out trying to rotate the tubes after the fact.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:25 AM
pthor
Instructor

Originally Posted by 3X2
Are both the collectors and tail pipes round? In other words, they aren't ovalated from shipping damage? Maybe you can find an exhaust shop that can expand 4" pipe. If my memory is correct, the tail pipes have small tubes in the back side that get nut and bolted to clamp down on the collector.
Yes they are both round I looked for damage, they just weren't expanded enough,.. I will see if a muffler shop in town can enlarge them like you said, that's a good idea. I almost wish I hadn't installed the headers to make this fit happen before they're on the car, as they sit, I have to worry about the paint which adds to the fun 🤣
Old 12-04-2017, 12:38 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,597 Posts

another thing you can do is go to a store that supplies plumbing parts and find a plastic disc shaped part, sorry dont remember what they are called but I believe you need one that is 4" in diameter, measure your pipe to be sure. Then tap/hammer that piece into the side pipe opening to expand it.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:09 PM
pthor
Instructor

Originally Posted by MelWff
another thing you can do is go to a store that supplies plumbing parts and find a plastic disc shaped part, sorry dont remember what they are called but I believe you need one that is 4" in diameter, measure your pipe to be sure. Then tap/hammer that piece into the side pipe opening to expand it.
I'm I'm loading up the pipes right now to take them to a local shop that can open them up just a hair for me. Once I make sure I can fit them I think I will wait for the install now so I can insert glass packs rather than taking them off and installing the glass-packs later. Plenty of anti-seize and a strap wrench ready to go
Old 12-07-2017, 01:46 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

You could use your vice (depending on the size/shape of the jaws) as an expander if need be by using it in reverse. I never clamp down my side tubes to the header collector for this very reason and never had an issue getting mine apart. The anti-seize around the collector mating surface is a good idea.

I don't think I ever bought the mounting hardware. I just stuck a bolt and washer in the frame, ran a nut tight onto it with a rubber washer to hold it in the frame, stuck the side tube tab over it and ran another nut to secure it.

I don't think I'll ever go back to an under car exhaust after switching to side pipes. The looks, sound and ease of working under the car I can't believe more people don't have them on the Corvette.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:29 PM
pthor
Instructor

Originally Posted by bence13_33
You could use your vice (depending on the size/shape of the jaws) as an expander if need be by using it in reverse. I never clamp down my side tubes to the header collector for this very reason and never had an issue getting mine apart. The anti-seize around the collector mating surface is a good idea.

I don't think I ever bought the mounting hardware. I just stuck a bolt and washer in the frame, ran a nut tight onto it with a rubber washer to hold it in the frame, stuck the side tube tab over it and ran another nut to secure it.

I don't think I'll ever go back to an under car exhaust after switching to side pipes. The looks, sound and ease of working under the car I can't believe more people don't have them on the Corvette.
The local muffler shop was able to add just enuf expansion to slip them on... The glass-packs came in last night, so, starting the install today. The mounting hardware came with it but, once again, no instructions, luckily MelWff posted the link with the instructions.... Here I go, hopefully will get the radiator in also today...
Old 12-08-2017, 10:49 AM
FB#1
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hope it goes well, have patience with the T bolts.

Get ready for the rumble.

Get notified of new replies

To Side pipe install - How to ?

Old 12-08-2017, 03:10 PM
pthor
Instructor

It looks as though the doors are going to hit the pipes when opened... Will bending the mounting tabs be necessary to avoid this?
Old 12-08-2017, 04:50 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by pthor
It looks as though the doors are going to hit the pipes when opened... Will bending the mounting tabs be necessary to avoid this?
I have about 1/4" to 1/2" clearance from the door. Does not take much to get clearance.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:22 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 257 Likes on 209 Posts

Plenty of room. I have heat shields on the 78' I used to own and it still clears the door.

Originally Posted by SteveG75
I have about 1/4" to 1/2" clearance from the door. Does not take much to get clearance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Side pipe install - How to ?