C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual horns from single horn lead

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 05:46 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Dual horns from single horn lead

Is this possible. Can get to passenger side horn, with typical C3 difficulty, but driver side horn is too hard to get to. And, its out. Can I run two horns off the driver side wiring - probably to a more accessible place nest to the headlights or some similar place. Do I need some sort of splitter/connector extension? Electrical issues are my shortfall.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:57 PM
NeverTooOld
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry82
Is this possible. Can get to passenger side horn, with typical C3 difficulty, but driver side horn is too hard to get to. And, its out. Can I run two horns off the driver side wiring - probably to a more accessible place nest to the headlights or some similar place. Do I need some sort of splitter/connector extension? Electrical issues are my shortfall.

I think there is a single wire running from the relay to the horns that gets split into two wires; one for each horn. By raising the front end up you can usually get to both horns relatively easy by using 1/4" nut driver.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:16 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by NeverTooOld
I think there is a single wire running from the relay to the horns that gets split into two wires; one for each horn. By raising the front end up you can usually get to both horns relatively easy by using 1/4" nut driver.
I have replaced the passenger side with somewhat difficulty, but the driver side one is really, really hard to get to, even lifted up. I probably could cut the wires and splice new longer leads into the driver side and mount elsewhere. If this worked, will then proceed to the passenger side. I replaced them many years ago, but years have made it harder for me to be as flexible as needed to work from the ground up, if you can relate.

Going to be 73 in a few more months.

Last edited by Wrecked82; 12-05-2017 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:26 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Horns on a 1982 can be easily serviced from under the car and remove the shielding that is hiding them.

IF all is correct in the cars wiring...no need to cut any wires and extend them.

DUB
Old 12-05-2017, 06:32 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Been under there but removing the shielding seemed to be a beotch, if I remember. But, I think I forced my hands/ forearms in the cavity with just pulling the shielding aside rather tha removing. Passenger side not that big a problem. Driver side seems as if I could not move the shielding enought to work easily. So gave up and not just have a high note horn. Loud, but not the best.

Not too old to get under there again. Just not as easy as it use to be. Usually sore muscles, etc. when I have to stretch and lean, etc. Will give it a shot. Thanks.

Last edited by Wrecked82; 12-05-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:07 PM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

There's no reason why you can't just splice into the horn power wire anywhere that's convenient for you and add a horn. They're both powered by the same wire anyway. Just make sure to ground the new horn.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:50 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by revitup
There's no reason why you can't just splice into the horn power wire anywhere that's convenient for you and add a horn. They're both powered by the same wire anyway. Just make sure to ground the new horn.
That I understand!
Old 12-06-2017, 06:00 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry82
Been under there but removing the shielding seemed to be a beotch, if I remember. But, I think I forced my hands/ forearms in the cavity with just pulling the shielding aside rather tha removing. Passenger side not that big a problem. Driver side seems as if I could not move the shielding enought to work easily. So gave up and not just have a high note horn. Loud, but not the best.

Not too old to get under there again. Just not as easy as it use to be. Usually sore muscles, etc. when I have to stretch and lean, etc. Will give it a shot. Thanks.

When I go and remove the shields...I have the car up on my custom wood ramps and I slide under the front bumper and get to lay on my back. I do understand the plastic push-in retainers can be a pain..but I have the tool to do it and if they snap I have new ones....which I know is a bit unfair.

But this method of service seems to work for me.

The older I get the more I 'work smarter---not harder'. And If I can lay down on the job..that is even better

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 12-06-2017 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:36 PM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 105 Posts

Larry,

My '73's Horn Relay is now handling 2 horns, without any problems yet anyway. I messed up on the #2's horn tone though: car sounds more like a Cadillac than an Corvette.

Steve

Get notified of new replies

To Dual horns from single horn lead

Quick Reply: Dual horns from single horn lead