C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 01:19 AM
pthor
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Peterbuilt
Connect the RED wires to the big terminal on the new starter.

If purple is now blue it connects to the small terminal on your new starter.
You can test it by turning the key to START and confirm that it only gets 12 volts with the key in START.

The Green is not needed on the new starter so tape it off.

The Black was originally the ground for the wiper and fan motor and connected to a bell housing or starter bolt.

72 schematic:
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...GE5N2EzZGI2Mjc
Here is what happened ~ I connected the purple to the small spade on the side and the Battery power/2 red wires connected with one ring & MSD power to the top post ~~ When I connected the positive on the battery, the starter engaged ! I disconnected the 2 joined red wires and reconnected the battery (Nothing) no power ??? Why would my starter engage?

Last edited by pthor; 01-03-2018 at 01:20 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:29 AM
pthor
Instructor

Originally Posted by PainfullySlow
It looks like the starter stuff is well sorted but this stuck out to me like a sore thumb. I trust that you are going to deal with the swiss cheese cross member before running the car?

No worries, that cross member is as solid as day one... That's just road/oil grime, etc, I've had the cross member off but decided not to clean and repaint it, this car grew up in Palm Springs and has no rust, just muck...
Old 01-03-2018, 11:20 AM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by pthor
Here is what happened ~ I connected the purple to the small spade on the side and the Battery power/2 red wires connected with one ring & MSD power to the top post ~~ When I connected the positive on the battery, the starter engaged ! I disconnected the 2 joined red wires and reconnected the battery (Nothing) no power ??? Why would my starter engage?
You have too many splices and wrong color wires so I can't offer any more help.

One more thing:
On the schematic the direction of rotation and firing order for the distributor is incorrect. The rotation is clockwise.

Your best bet is to bring your car to a Corvette shop and have an expert sort it out.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:31 AM
pthor
Instructor

Originally Posted by Peterbuilt
You have too many splices and wrong color wires so I can't offer any more help.

One more thing:
On the schematic the direction of rotation and firing order for the distributor is incorrect. The rotation is clockwise.

Your best bet is to bring your car to a Corvette shop and have an expert sort it out.
No Corvette shops anywhere near me, gonna have to do this myself.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:40 AM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

No Corvette shops anywhere near me, gonna have to do this myself.
Google 'Corvette clubs' in your area and find someone who can help.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:06 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

You either have a bad ignition switch or the wiring is messed up an the purple wire isn't power only with the key on. It will be very hard to help if you can't follow schematics and troubleshoot with a meter.

Follow the purple wire and make sure it stays purple all the way back to the firewall plug.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:48 AM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

what happened to the HOT ROD guy coming over to help??? the wiring is alike any old chevy that out when this car was made, not rocket science!
Old 01-04-2018, 02:01 PM
pthor
Instructor

Originally Posted by lvmyvt76
what happened to the HOT ROD guy coming over to help??? the wiring is alike any old chevy that out when this car was made, not rocket science!
He caught the flu from his wife and was unable to make the drive up. I got it started for a second yesterday but for some reason it won't stay running most likely an electrical issue knowing me... I had him on video trying to work it out, so far no luck.

Quick Reply: Starter wiring help