C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hella H4 headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 02:58 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by C6_Racer_X
Those circuit breakers are a good idea. They are required for safety inspections in some locales.

I generally use 4 relays with 2 separate fuses (or circuit breakers). I have separate relays for left HB, left LB, right HB, and right LB. One fuse/circuit breaker supplies power to both rightside relays, the other fuse/circuit breaker supplies power for the left side. That way, if there's an issue, only one light is out from a blown fuse.

I use 12 awg or even 10 awg wire when I make a relay harness for the power and ground wires. And bakelite connectors at the headlight sockets handle dielectric grease better than ceramic, but still handle the heat.

I also use skirted, weatherproof relays and fuses holders, or a weatherproof fuse/relay block with cover.

The best H4 and H1 bulbs I've found are the Phillips Xtreme Vision (+130). The Osram Nightbreaker unlimited (+110) bulbs are a close second place. Both of those now have a slight blue tint to the high beam section on the H4s, but no tint on the low beams. They don't last as long as standard bulbs, but they are brighter. I carry spares just in case.

My wiring is a bit different than yours. I wanted my lows and highs on separate circuits to up the safety factor as you did with your circuit. I did it with three relays.

I'm not sure if the self-resetting CB are required in my area but I don't have to get a safety inspection so it's not big deal to me. I installed them because it just make good safety sense.
The following users liked this post:
PainfullySlow (01-02-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 05:40 AM
chris383
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you for the information about Corvettemods.... _It seems they are not very reliable.
I'll seek a good supplier here in Europe (if possible in Switzerland near me...) or stay with Daniel Stern.

If I understand well the diagram above, the low beams lamps are H4 (dual filament). When you pass on high beams, the four lamps are on. Are the high beams H1 ?
My idea is to keep my Hella H4 for low beams and to change my high beam for Valeo (Cibie) 82369 H1.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:40 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by chris383
Thank you for the information about Corvettemods.... _It seems they are not very reliable.
I'll seek a good supplier here in Europe (if possible in Switzerland near me...) or stay with Daniel Stern.

If I understand well the diagram above, the low beams lamps are H4 (dual filament). When you pass on high beams, the four lamps are on. Are the high beams H1 ?
My idea is to keep my Hella H4 for low beams and to change my high beam for Valeo (Cibie) 82369 H1.
My Hella Euro High Beams are H1's.

Quick Reply: Hella H4 headlights