C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1981 Oil Pressure Reading Problems and Fix

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 04:48 PM
IDPaul
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1981 Oil Pressure Reading Problems and Fix

Some of you may recall my posts regarding problems with my oil pressure reading on my 1981 stock Vette.
I want to thank all of you who answered with ideas. Here is the history and a final fix.

Installed a new GM Restoration oil pressure gauge and the new one solved a nagging problem I was having. I was getting varied readings from my factory gauge. At start, it read at about 20psi and after about 3 minutes run time it would jump up to 50-60psi with jerky movements. I tested the circuits and all pointed to the sender as the problem as the gauge passed all of the tests outlined by Willcox Tech Support online. Changed the sender and still the problem was there. Checked ohms output from the sender and actual pressure with a mechanical gauge. All read great. Decided to change out the gauge as the next step, and the work tearing the console and gauge cluster down was well worth it. Fired it up and Problem Solved. Glad I changed the gauge even when it passed the tests. Just want to follow up FYI. While I had the cluster out I changed all of the light bulbs and assorted gaskets.
Thanks again for all your help. It showed me the steps I took to the fix.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:37 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,631 Posts

Smart man changing ALL the dash bulbs while you're at it. Otherwise, the very next day, or night, one bulb would refuse to light. Thats the Murphys Law.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:25 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by IDPaul
Some of you may recall my posts regarding problems with my oil pressure reading on my 1981 stock Vette.
I want to thank all of you who answered with ideas. Here is the history and a final fix.

Installed a new GM Restoration oil pressure gauge and the new one solved a nagging problem I was having. I was getting varied readings from my factory gauge. At start, it read at about 20psi and after about 3 minutes run time it would jump up to 50-60psi with jerky movements. I tested the circuits and all pointed to the sender as the problem as the gauge passed all of the tests outlined by Willcox Tech Support online. Changed the sender and still the problem was there. Checked ohms output from the sender and actual pressure with a mechanical gauge. All read great. Decided to change out the gauge as the next step, and the work tearing the console and gauge cluster down was well worth it. Fired it up and Problem Solved. Glad I changed the gauge even when it passed the tests. Just want to follow up FYI. While I had the cluster out I changed all of the light bulbs and assorted gaskets.
Thanks again for all your help. It showed me the steps I took to the fix.
Yup. Mine did the same thing for 10 years, and I solved it the same way. I believe the dampening fluid drys up and is the cause.
I changed senders 3 times before changing the gauge.

Get notified of new replies

To 1981 Oil Pressure Reading Problems and Fix

Quick Reply: 1981 Oil Pressure Reading Problems and Fix