C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small block intake gasket

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 07:59 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

Default Small block intake gasket

I am ready to install my Edelbrock Performer Air Gap on my new AFR heads. The AFR instructions say to use the Fel Pro 1206 gasket set and to use silicone around the water jackets and under the intake ports. The Fel Pro instructions clearly say NOT to use any sealant on the gaskets. After extensive reading on this forum and other sites, the opinions seem to be about equally split. I think I've made the decision to follow the gasket manufacturer's instructions but I'd like to poll the Forum to see what the guys here do when installing intake gaskets. What's your vote?
Old 01-04-2018, 08:06 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

FWIW, I use Edelbrock gaskets with my RPM Air Gap manifold on Vortec heads. I use silicone sparingly around every port including water. Did this several times with no problems.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:12 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

I used the Felpro on my AFR 195's and Team G intake. I put some silicone around the water passages only. No leaks/seepage anywhere.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:48 PM
GOSFAST
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by drwet
I am ready to install my Edelbrock Performer Air Gap on my new AFR heads. The AFR instructions say to use the Fel Pro 1206 gasket set and to use silicone around the water jackets and under the intake ports. The Fel Pro instructions clearly say NOT to use any sealant on the gaskets. After extensive reading on this forum and other sites, the opinions seem to be about equally split. I think I've made the decision to follow the gasket manufacturer's instructions but I'd like to poll the Forum to see what the guys here do when installing intake gaskets. What's your vote?
The "Right Stuff" around the water holes on both ends of the heads and only on the heads, not on the gasket on the intake side!

We also seal up the end rails on the block with this sealer, no gaskets at all.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. On a side note we just had the opportunity to do back-to-back dyno test using that 7501 Edelbrock on a decent 383", cost us very close to 50 Hp over a "Chinese" Professional-Products #52036 "Hurricane". It's the first one we got to test here on a 383" and probably be the last on that platform!!
Old 01-04-2018, 08:57 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by GOSFAST
On a side note we just had the opportunity to do back-to-back dyno test using that 7501 Edelbrock on a decent 383", cost us very close to 50 Hp over a "Chinese" Professional-Products #52036 "Hurricane". It's the first one we got to test here on a 383" and probably be the last on that platform!![/COLOR]
That's the first I've heard of the Hurricane manifold. The Air Gap IS a little small for the 427, but I'm not sure a single plane is the right choice for me. Does anyone make a single plane designed for large displacement engines?
Old 01-04-2018, 09:00 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Silicone the backside of the water ports to hold the gasket in place. Put a bead of silicone across the china rails at the ends of the block....make sure the bead carries up into the small tabs at the bottom ends of the gaskets. A trial fit before all of this will give you an idea of how big the gaps at the end will be so you can get an idea of how fat of a bead to lay.

To repeat....silicone only on the backside to hold them in place.....the gaskets can be installed dry otherwise.

I also like to go around at least four times with the "pattern".....basically starting from the canter and pancaking outward in a spiral.

Good luck....have fun.....

Jebby
Old 01-04-2018, 09:29 PM
GOSFAST
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by drwet
That's the first I've heard of the Hurricane manifold. The Air Gap IS a little small for the 427, but I'm not sure a single plane is the right choice for me. Does anyone make a single plane designed for large displacement engines?
Not specifically recommending an "open-plenum", just showing the test results for comparison purpose.

For a "side-by-side" on a "streeter" I would most likely use a Brodix HV-1016 with a 3000/6500 RPM band??

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. We've done a few 383" pump-gas builds with some of the Brodix "divided-plenums" and have gone past 560 HP/495# Torque, depends entirely on the overall platform!
Old 01-05-2018, 12:51 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The only silicone sealant I would use on that application is Permatex Ultra Black RTV. But, with the Fel-Pro gaskets, I think it's unnecessary.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:11 AM
JoeMinnesota
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 128 Posts

I'm with Jebbysan. I use sealant around the ports between gasket and block (all of the ports) and nothing on the topside. At the front and back ends, throw the rubber seals away and use a single bead of silicone at each end, feathering it up over the bottom tab on the gaskets. You can temporarily use a couple of intake bolts on each side to hold the gaskets in place until they set up a little. Set the intake on, torque it according to the proper sequence, and DO NOT WIPE THE EXCESS that squeezes out. Wait until it is completely cured - a day maybe - overnight - and carefully trim any that squeezed out with a fresh razor blade if you want... or just leave it alone.

I use Permatex Ultra Black or Blue.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:17 AM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Received 381 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by resdoggie
I used the Felpro on my AFR 195's and Team G intake. I put some silicone around the water passages only. No leaks/seepage anywhere.
100% the same setup here, I also used silicone, and no leaks.

(BTW it's a good setup right :- )
Old 01-05-2018, 09:41 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Yep!
Old 01-05-2018, 10:22 AM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

bolts bolts bolts
Old 01-05-2018, 11:46 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,295 Likes on 3,920 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

As per edelbrocks installation instructions I used a gaskacinch type of instalation glue and that was it. Reusing the intake gasket after having to disassemble after torquing without firing the engine I used a permatex silicone.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:54 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,635 Posts

1. Another vote for Edlbrcks Gaskacinch, both sides of manifold gasket. (sit overnite)
2. RTV compatable w/ glycol on the water passages. (sit few minutes)
3. The Right Stuff on the end walls. (install within minutes)

Always, always always, figure out which material you are trying to seal out:
anti-freeze, oil, or even a vacuum. That will determine the specific sealant to use in a specific area. (instead of one size fits all).

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 01-05-2018 at 04:26 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Small block intake gasket

Quick Reply: Small block intake gasket