C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine doesn't turn at cranking

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 07:04 PM
Ghost_vette
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine doesn't turn at cranking

hello everyone, new in here, hope you can help me out with this!
My engine doesn't turn at cranking, first i thought was battery issues so i got a new one but still didn't turn. Then i check the starting engine and send it to get serviced and install it back but still no turning the engine. It sounds like the starting engine its powered with electricity but if it didnt has the strenght to move to engine!!
any ideas what else to check or what could it be the problem!!??
thanks!!
Old 01-08-2018, 07:35 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,634 Posts

99% of the time on these C3s its a grounding issue. Or I should say POOR ground issue.
So you had the starter serviced and a new battery, so that really points towards a bad ground. First thing is to remove the NEG side battery cable so you don't get unwanted sparks later. Clean not only the cable terminal but also the battery post with wire brush.
Do not reinstall NEG cable yet. Now clean the POS side.
Now you will have to get the car up in the air on ramps. Look for the NEG cable where it comes out of the battery box under the car. Follow that cable to the frame. Disconnect and clean that as well. Now move to the front and look for a second ground near the starter. Sometimes those cables were never reinstalled. That could be the issue here. If these actions don't help, it might be an IGN switch issue. Good luck.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 01-08-2018 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:52 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

While the negative battery cable is still disconnected clean and tighten the positive where it connects to the starter solenoid.

Ghost_vette, auto or stick and a 74. Right?

Could it be a bad neutral switch?

Do you get 12 volts to the small purple wire on the starter solenoid with the key in START?

Last edited by Peterbuilt; 01-08-2018 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:57 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

can you turn the crank with a wrench?
The following users liked this post:
Peterbuilt (01-08-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 06:24 AM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

where are you located??? maybe a corvette club in your area??? sometimes calling the local library will have a list of car clubs, call them and ask if a member will help you. Its a learning hobby, and most of us like to teach others how to work on these cars. Any hot rod mechanic could also help you on starting, just knowing the basics will do it.

WELCOME to the forum!!!!!!

Last edited by lvmyvt76; 01-09-2018 at 06:24 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:33 AM
Ghost_vette
7th Gear

Thanks every one for the advices
today i started pulling out the sparkplugs to try move the engine without compression, when i took out the first one lots of Fuel came out of the sparkplug hole, then i took out the oil mesure stick and tube and also fuel came out of there so i guess the oil pan must be full of gas too.
My carb is a Demon 750cfm i think the floater could be stuck and leting pass to much gas.
Im going to take out the oil, check the carb, and will let you know how is it going!!
thanks
Old 01-09-2018, 11:43 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,634 Posts

OK. STOP-STOP-STOP! You have hydro-lock. Do not crank, do not spin, do not pass go. You could do considerable damage to the shortblock! As a safety issue, you need to drain the pan immedately without causing any sparks.

We will talk about "passing gas" later.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 01-09-2018 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:45 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
OK. STOP-STOP-STOP! You have hydro-lock. Do not crank, do not spin, do not pass go. You could do considerable damage to the shortblock! As a safety issue, you need to drain the pan immedately without causing any sparks.

We will talk about "passing gas" later.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:14 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Disconnect the battery! Open the garage door! Now you can start draining the oil pan to see what's going on. Could be a bad fuel pump; tear in the diaphragm could put fuel in the sump.

You have a very dangerous situation there, until you get the raw fuel out of the engine.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:17 PM
Ghost_vette
7th Gear

Don't worry guys, the first thing i did before taking out the sparkplugs was to disconect the battery and also im working outside the garage in an open place

Get notified of new replies

To Engine doesn't turn at cranking

Quick Reply: Engine doesn't turn at cranking