C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 misfire?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 03:07 AM
Chassis87
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C3 misfire?

Dear all,

we have purchased, a c3 350ci 78 vette,

the car is as stock as I could find, based in the middle of the Mediterranean. its a matching numbers, the only non stock items are a summit intake manifold and an edelbrock 600cfm carb.

we are however encountering a strange issue, when you are driving along and you hit WOT, you sometimes (not always) get a weak misfire (doesn't bang or pop loudly) but you get a series of numb sounding misfires...at which point I immediately lift off throttle.

you take the car back into the shop, on neutral, and rev the hell out of it, and this misfire does not occur again.

Go back on the road, under load, and they come back.

I bought a modern HEI distributor, new spark pulg wires - since from this forum I read that they are the possible culprits, and yet here we are. it's still doing the same thing.

At this point I need your help. Cause I am still baffled why this happens under load (i.e. driving around, and when stationary in garage it revs like a champ).

Thanks in advance
Old 01-09-2018, 08:21 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,634 Posts

H-m-m-m. New plug wires? Very common error is to allow cylinder # 5 & #7 plug wires to come in contact with each other. They are side by side on the distributor cap. Because of the firing order of a SBC, those two cyl can actually cross-fire. Follow the routing of those two wires and seperate them as far as possible in their wire looms.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:09 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

are you sure the secondary air flap is opening correctly, you can not test it by revving the engine in the shop. There is a diaphragm on the passenger side which is designed to prevent it from opening too soon.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:37 PM
Chassis87
5th Gear

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
H-m-m-m. New plug wires? Very common error is to allow cylinder # 5 & #7 plug wires to come in contact with each other. They are side by side on the distributor cap. Because of the firing order of a SBC, those two cyl can actually cross-fire. Follow the routing of those two wires and seperate them as far as possible in their wire looms.
they are well seperated with those plug wires separators and routed correctly.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:39 PM
Chassis87
5th Gear

Originally Posted by MelWff
are you sure the secondary air flap is opening correctly, you can not test it by revving the engine in the shop. There is a diaphragm on the passenger side which is designed to prevent it from opening too soon.
interesting is this diaphram part of the edelbrock carb?

how do i test this?
Old 01-09-2018, 04:44 PM
Chassis87
5th Gear

After more driving today and testing we have more feedback.

this misfire occurs only when we are driving slowly around 2500rpm then suddenly go to WOT. At around 4000-5000rpm.

when driving at higher engine speeds on the motorway...the misfire does not happen and she revs freely to 6k.

we are well baffled.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:38 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by Chassis87
interesting is this diaphram part of the edelbrock carb?

how do i test this?
No. Only rochester.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:06 PM
johnt365
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi,

To me, it sounds like an accelerator pump issue. That is the circuit I would look into.

It may be failing but before I replaced any parts I would try to adjust it and see if I could increase the pump shot.

Post the part number and maybe some pics of the carb and others more familiar with Edelbrocks should be able to comment on the adjustment if needed.

Best ,
John
Old 01-11-2018, 07:12 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

carb too lean??? wot while idling is different than when rolling, more hp needed to more the weight of the car etc.

Get notified of new replies

To C3 misfire?

Quick Reply: C3 misfire?