C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FIRST Intake Arrived; Looking It Over

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 05:02 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Jeepers. The Winston Cup left NASCAR years ago.
Probably right after they switched back to 4:1 headers. lol! couldn't resist!

Adam
Old 01-24-2018, 05:05 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy
I'm confused. If the primary benefits of the tri-y is the increased air velocity and decreased reversion at low to mid RPMs (increased low to mid RPM torque) and the fuel economy improvement that results, then why the discussion on high RPMs?

If you're saying that a TRI-Y designed for 8,500 RPM wouldn't help a street engine at normal RPMs and driving conditions, then I agree completely; that would be dumb. But a TRI-Y designed for 6,000 RPM vs. a 4:1 designed for 6,000 RPM, the TRI-Y is going to see more low and mid RPM torque and they'll have the SAME HP at the peak. That's what you want in a street motor- a broad torque peak and people like me want the fuel economy, too.

Adam
Adam,

At 25% throttle do you think either will make a difference? What about 50%? Or 75%?

My point was that unless your at 100% throttle...a lot, will either design make a difference?
Old 01-24-2018, 05:14 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jim2527
Adam,

At 25% throttle do you think either will make a difference? What about 50%? Or 75%?

My point was that unless your at 100% throttle...a lot, will either design make a difference?
It's a good question, it really is.

My guess would be "yes". If a tri-y design increases exhaust velocity and reduces reversion, then it will make a difference at part throttle where reversion is the biggest problem.

-It is very common for people to report a small increase in highway fuel economy moving to Tri-Y / 4:2:1 headers- highway cruising is done at low throttle openings. Where's the mpg coming from??? -Increased scavenging and the associated increased VE at those RPMs and throttle openings (MOHR TORX!!!).

I can ask that very pointed question on SecTalk and see if Calvin Elston or some of the other engine super nerds will chime in on it. I'd LOVE to know the answer to this one.

My Tri-Y's-are-better "Proof": TRIY + YourEngine == MOHR AVG TORX --> MOHR AVG TORX+ Your Car == Your Butt Going MOHR FASTER. --> Going MOHR FASTER is Better, hence TRIY IS BETTER!! *The Defense Rests, Your Honor!*

Adam

Last edited by NewbVetteGuy; 01-24-2018 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:33 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

The best doesn't sell. The best marketing and bragging rights and big HP #'s at mostly unused RPMs sells. (You think people buy soft metal Comp Cams sewing machine cams and rebranded springs of questionable origin because they're "Best"?!? You think people buy tiny, tinny Chinese paper cone Bose speakers because they're "best"?!?)

The market largely defines "best" as highest HP at max RPM; the SBC market adds "at the cheapest price" to that demand, so that's what you see in the marketplace.

HP #'s at max RPM sell; ft lbs at low to moderate RPMs doesn't (but should); the aftermarket and especially the historical SBC aftermarket shows people often making TERRIBLE trade-offs to get bragging rights for max HP at the cost of useable, streetable torque.

"An engine is just an airpump; make everything bigger and you'll go faster" -is far too prevalent an opinion. A blunt instrument philosophy for blunt instruments. -The market is asking for the wrong thing, so the market is full of the wrong product for most street motors, IMO.

Ton of motors out there with oversized cams, oversized heads, and oversized headers with lazy bottom ends.

Too many people underthinking it for far too long.

The LS market has a lot more Tri-Ys in lot more diameters and lengths available and the good ones show good gains.

Adam
Go to your local drag strip.

Look at the fastest cars. The winners. Tell me how many are using tri Y headers. I bet you won’t find a single one.

Yes, while there is pressure to but cheap by many, the best does sell.

I paid $1,000 for my headers to have the best. I could have done far cheaper, but they wouldn’t be as good, and no way would they have the quality I expect.

I’m not saying you haven’t found good theory on the benefit of a tri Y header. What I’m saying is street and drag racing, properly designed long tubes have the advantage. Not just my opinion, but this comes from the top header manufacturers as well as engine race shops, too. And they could make tri Y headers just as easy, and they would if they offered better performance.

I’ve also been active in the LS world. I don’t even think anyone has made a tri Y for a modern vette.

Last edited by AirBusPilot; 01-24-2018 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:53 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Go to your local drag strip.
Look at the fastest cars. The winners. Tell me how many are using tri Y headers. I bet you won’t find a single one.

Yes, while there is pressure to but cheap by many, the best does sell.

I paid $1,000 for my headers to have the best. I could have done far cheaper, but they wouldn’t be as good, and no way would they have the quality I expect.

I’m not saying you haven’t found good theory on the benefit of a tri Y header. What I’m saying is street and drag racing, properly designed long tubes have the advantage. Not just my opinion, but this comes from the top header manufacturers as well as engine race shops, too. And they could make tri Y headers just as easy, and they would if they offered better performance.

I’ve also been active in the LS world. I don’t even think anyone has made a tri Y for a modern vette.
Is drag racing a scenario where a broad torque curve and low and mid RPM torque makes a difference?

It's weird you keep lumping street and drag together; seems like you'd want very different things between street and drag.

For C7 Vettes checkout the Pfadt RAce Engineering Tri-Ys available in 1 3/4" (up to 650HP) and 1 7/8" (>650HP).

Adam
Old 01-24-2018, 06:13 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Is drag racing a scenario where a broad torque curve and low and mid RPM torque makes a difference?

It's weird you keep lumping street and drag together; seems like you'd want very different things between street and drag.

For C7 Vettes checkout the Pfadt RAce Engineering Tri-Ys available in 1 3/4" (up to 650HP) and 1 7/8" (>650HP).

Adam
Notice I say street in the same sentence. And when I say street, I include casual driving to full bore full throttle set on kill.

Test your argument. Buy tri Y’s and use them. You might even get a custom set made, if you have the money $$$$.

I like your build, that TPI looks killer, best looking intake manifold I know of.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:21 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Those look really nice but didn't work so well....

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ts-inside.html

The AR headers easily outperformed them down low.

Last edited by lionelhutz; 01-24-2018 at 06:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by lionelhutz:
AirBusPilot (01-24-2018), NewbVetteGuy (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 06:27 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Wow. They sound great; just imagine how much better they could've been had you put that money into some Tri-Ys, though.

Just trollin at this point.

Adam

Last edited by NewbVetteGuy; 01-24-2018 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:34 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by lionelhutz

THANK YOU!

There you go, Adam. Real world results.
The following users liked this post:
NewbVetteGuy (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 07:05 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

This makes no sense. Tri-Ys should be an easier fit than a standard 4:1 and "correct" tube diameter and length is dependant upon the output, at 400hp and below 1 5/8" is the right diameter and they're readily available from Stans.

From a fitament perspective TRI-Ys have the added benefit of essentially all being "step" headers so they can start at a smaller diameter near the head where the space is at a premium and then at the first "y" they step up to the next largest size but you've only got 2 tubes vying for 3 dimensional space.

Adam
The Y-junctions and proper tuning for pipe length heading to each Y to match the theory could very well complicate the layout.

Space at the head isn't actually all that problematic (minus spark plug access), it's the space about 4-6" below the port where you're interacting with the starter and idler arm on the passenger side, steering box/linkage and clutch linkage on the driver's side.

That said, I think I've gotten close to my limit of trying to converse with you. Good luck on your HP quest.
NewbVetteGuy (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 07:12 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lionelhutz

That's a really, REALLY good comparison test. Thanks for the link. A shame the primary lengths were so different, 10" but still a wealth of data.

So what's the conclusion? -Getting a really good header well-matched to your combo is far more important than the type of header?!? or something else entirely?

Adam
Old 01-24-2018, 07:14 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

THANK YOU!

There you go, Adam. Real world results.
You're right; can't argue with the results. *Sigh* Now I don't know what to think...

Adam
AirBusPilot (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 10:38 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Exhaust tuning is fairly complicated and the details never seem to end. Us hobbiest's don't have the resources to optimize it normally. Many times owners are stuck very few choices due to smog testing.
Many overlook what happens when they use long tube headers and long tube intake runners they expect a large power increase and they get one but it could be very peaky. You may end up with high torque motor but in a narrow power band. I've read of a trend to unequal length header tubes to broaden the power band even though many will disagree I'm sure.

IMHO don't make it to complicated and lose sleep over it. A good set of headers with unrestrictive exhaust wins the low cost battle. Let the big budget teams do all the science.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:57 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

One conclusion is that a pair of tri-Y headers no optimized for the engine but instead fit into the application don't reap any expected rewards. Just looking at the AFE headers, to me it appears the primary tubes to the first Y are too long. Possibly, that was the only area where the Y's would fit into the car. It's also possible that was the engineered location but they got it wrong.

Another conclusion you can make is that ARH actually knows a few things and did some engineering and is not simply throwing together a header with 4 long tube that fits into the car so they can make money.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:11 AM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Adam,
I don't recall seeing what size headers you have but I am also running Profiler 195s with some mild porting and I couldn't use 1 5/8" headers and had to step up to 1 3/4".
Do a gasket match between the heads and the headers to confirm-
I found out in the 11th hour that my 1 5/8" headers would restrict the exhaust ports right at the head.
Elm
Old 01-25-2018, 03:48 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ezobens
Adam,
I don't recall seeing what size headers you have but I am also running Profiler 195s with some mild porting and I couldn't use 1 5/8" headers and had to step up to 1 3/4".
I found out in the 11th hour that my 1 5/8" headers would restrict the exhaust ports right at the head.
Elm
I've heard loads of fitament issues with the raised Profiler exhaust ports. Was the restriction just at the top of the exhaust ports because of the raised exhaust ports in the heads? -If so, would elongating the bolt holes so the exhaust ports can be centered on the heads' exhaust ports work, you think?

Adam
Old 01-25-2018, 03:49 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ezobens
Adam,
Elm
I'll do a "paper match" to check; thanks for that. My headers actually use o-rings so they don't have a gasket to match.

Adam

Get notified of new replies

To FIRST Intake Arrived; Looking It Over

Old 01-25-2018, 04:23 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cardo0
Exhaust tuning is fairly complicated and the details never seem to end. Us hobbiest's don't have the resources to optimize it normally. Many times owners are stuck very few choices due to smog testing.
:
Yea, sure seems that way.

If I wanted to make my own custom headers (I never will; I suck at welding) or pay for someone to fab them up, I'd definitely take advantage of the Burns Stainless X-Design service. (Burns is the guy who co-created the merge collector with Calvin Elston.) -If you buy your merge collectors from Burns, you fill out the Engine Spec form (you'll need a HUGE list of intricate details including exhaust port height and area) and your goals and they'll give you a complete end-to-end design of the exhaust that's ideal for your goals / engine. -Then take it to a header fabricator and have them weld it up. (I'd love to give my Vette a custom set of headers for it's 40th birthday next year, but it's probably getting a paint job instead...)

This way you're just paying for a set of merge collectors and you get a professionally engineered exhaust system that you could have someone local/cheaper fab up.
http://www.burnsstainless.com/x-design.aspx

Last edited by NewbVetteGuy; 01-25-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:59 PM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I've heard loads of fitament issues with the raised Profiler exhaust ports. Was the restriction just at the top of the exhaust ports because of the raised exhaust ports in the heads? -If so, would elongating the bolt holes so the exhaust ports can be centered on the heads' exhaust ports work, you think?
In my case, it wasn't just the raised ports but the height and width in general after porting made the 1 5/8" pipes unusable.
Give it a close look to make sure you aren't creating a restriction.
Elm
Old 01-25-2018, 05:14 PM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Sorry if it has been covered as I only scanned through the thread but...

What's your plan for a hood? That thing has got some height too it. Almost looks the same as my mini blower.

Quick Reply: FIRST Intake Arrived; Looking It Over