C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

81 bad rag joint question (with video)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 10:49 AM
Stingydonut
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 81 bad rag joint question (with video)

First off, thanks in advance for any knowledge you guys can bestow upon me. Just got an 81 project and the steering is wobbly and seems to pull me side to side on the highway and I constantly have to correct. I looked at the rag joint and it looks trashed totally rusted out and warped and lots of play. Do I replace both the upper and lower? Can it be done myself? And if not how much will this job cost. I included a video which shows the play in the rag joint. Is it safe to drive as is for now?
Old 01-25-2018, 11:06 AM
bradleyb66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 108 Posts

Compared to the rag joint on my 79 (which did actually go bad - the rubber part was actually coming apart) - I don't think yours is all that loose. It wouldn't hurt replacing it if you can find a quality one - I opted to replace mine with a Flaming River FL-1734 u-joint.

Most likely you have other problems with the front end that is contributing to your loose steering. Could be in the steering box, control valve, alignment, tie rods/ball joints, etc.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:24 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi S,
Typically there is no free-play in the coupler between the steering shaft and the steering box.
I'd take a look at yours to see what might be worn or deteriorated.
Generally if the 2 parts are separated by un-bolting them they can both be removed without unbolting the steering box or steering column.
Regards,
Alan

Old 01-25-2018, 01:42 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

I can see what I would consider excessive play in that joint JMPO. Me, I would rebuild it (which is what I had to do with my own) with one of the kits available (but be aware that some of the repo stuff out there is not very good) or look for an OEM one to replace it.
Seeing the coupling is in that state it would be a good idea to inspect the rest of the steering system as there is more than likely other components in need of attention.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:23 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,338 Posts

First to find a quality rag joint like Alan shows will cost you over $200- NOS. They are the best no question at all. To date I have not seen a quality aftermarket C3 rag, I hope I am wrong but haven't seen one. The problem is with the material, no one so far has the 7 ply rigid material left, solid rubber or some of the other materials used today are not as rigid and the rag isn't grounded.
That is just the rag joint. Look close at your box with it on center while someone slowly turns the steering wheel, there should be no lost motion between the input and arm on center- move the input and the arm moves. As others mentions the complete suspension, tires and alignment need to be checked as well. Replacing a rag on an otherwise 35 year old worn system won't gain you much. Correctly addressing all these issues will give you exceptional steering- better then new.
The following users liked this post:
Reaper19 (01-31-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 05:02 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by GTR1999
First to find a quality rag joint like Alan shows will cost you over $200- NOS. They are the best no question at all. To date I have not seen a quality aftermarket C3 rag, I hope I am wrong but haven't seen one. The problem is with the material, no one so far has the 7 ply rigid material left, solid rubber or some of the other materials used today are not as rigid and the rag isn't grounded.
That is just the rag joint. Look close at your box with it on center while someone slowly turns the steering wheel, there should be no lost motion between the input and arm on center- move the input and the arm moves. As others mentions the complete suspension, tires and alignment need to be checked as well. Replacing a rag on an otherwise 35 year old worn system won't gain you much. Correctly addressing all these issues will give you exceptional steering- better then new.
Might be a good part to look into making... I have a company locally that can probably reproduce the original joint material. I will take a sample to them and see.

The HELP brand, 31000 will work and get you through but like Gary stated, it's nothing as good as the original material. It will work for a while and get you through this, but I'd keep an eye on it if installed.

Willcox
Reaper19 (01-31-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 02:22 PM
stock76
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Might be a good part to look into making... I have a company locally that can probably reproduce the original joint material. I will take a sample to them and see.

The HELP brand, 31000 will work and get you through but like Gary stated, it's nothing as good as the original material. It will work for a while and get you through this, but I'd keep an eye on it if installed.

Willcox
I think Saginaw was the original manufacturer for GM.

A lot of the offshore products are poorly made and some are even manufactured upside down. Not a fan of those kits either.

I don't know how profitable it would be if you-all came up with a quality made rag joint but you may be responsible for saving a life, or lives, if you did.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:49 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette

Willcox
Ernie,
If you find the correct rag material and produce a rag joint like Tom Reina did for years you would have constant orders, an easy $100 per rag. Before Tom passed away he told me he stopped making rag joints because he couldn't get the material anymore. As you are aware he supplied all the vendors with rags, steering kits, and new gears. After he passed, I ended with all the gears, another vendor got the steering column parts, the c1 boxes and parts were already pretty much gone along with the rags. Over the past 5 years I have not seen anything remotely close to what Tom or GM( Saginaw) had. What I have seen are sloppy, machined wrong, junk. I guess quality is not a concern anymore. PS I offered the new gears to most if not all the vendors/rebuilders so they could still have quality parts to use in their rebuilds. Most were not interested so what is being used in their rebuilds??? I know the answer as I am sure you do.

So if you can source a real deal quality D-Flat rag sign me up.

Last edited by GTR1999; 01-27-2018 at 09:52 PM.
Reaper19 (01-31-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 02:54 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by GTR1999
Ernie,
If you find the correct rag material and produce a rag joint like Tom Reina did for years you would have constant orders, an easy $100 per rag. Before Tom passed away he told me he stopped making rag joints because he couldn't get the material anymore. As you are aware he supplied all the vendors with rags, steering kits, and new gears. After he passed, I ended with all the gears, another vendor got the steering column parts, the c1 boxes and parts were already pretty much gone along with the rags. Over the past 5 years I have not seen anything remotely close to what Tom or GM( Saginaw) had. What I have seen are sloppy, machined wrong, junk. I guess quality is not a concern anymore. PS I offered the new gears to most if not all the vendors/rebuilders so they could still have quality parts to use in their rebuilds. Most were not interested so what is being used in their rebuilds??? I know the answer as I am sure you do.

So if you can source a real deal quality D-Flat rag sign me up.
Gary-

My goodness I miss Tom, we partnered up on a part years ago...

I'm going to look into this probably as soon as this week, I'll let you know what I find out and possibly start a thread on it too. (if successful)

Ernie
Reaper19 (01-31-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 01:37 AM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

There are all kinds of belting material in the industrial market, there should be one suitable for making the flexible coupling, here's an example
Old 01-31-2018, 12:07 PM
Reaper19
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Yes, please keep us updated Ernie.

I would like to replace my rag joint eventually, no play I notice now but original from 81 and could not find one that others would recommend either.

I just installed all new suspension parts from Willcox. Great parts, service, price and quick turnaround with any issues as usual After all the parts were installed, lined up everything by home alignment and found the steering box required lash adjustment. Followed Jim Shea's on car adjustment procedure and the front end is tight like a new 81 Vette!

Randy / Reaper19

Last edited by Reaper19; 02-01-2018 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:54 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Heading up to the company that makes our 1979 lower extension spoilers later today, so I'll update you when i get more info.

E

Get notified of new replies

To 81 bad rag joint question (with video)

Quick Reply: 81 bad rag joint question (with video)