C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 11:09 AM
GabeH12
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Issues

So recently I bought an 80 Corvette for 5700. Obviously at this price point nothing in the car is perfect and that's why I bought it, to have fun repairing it. Since day 1 the radio has been working, it won't even power on. The speakers make a static noise for as long as the battery is on. I tested to see if I was getting power to the radio and I was getting the 12v that were needed. I also replaced the fuse and still nothing. Could it be the ground wire? How can I fix it? It is an aftermarket radio.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:01 PM
henrikse
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts

Check the ground wire at radio. Probably a black wire. Google the radio manufacturer and model # and you should be able to find a wiring diagram. You need 12 volt steady for memory, 12 volt ignition to turn it on and ground. Other wires there for speakers and maybe power antennae. If you hear static antennae probably not working if you can tune to a known station. You say above since Day 1 radio working?

Quick Reply: Radio Issues